The Lindworm by Keith Simmons - scale unknown - a fluid design

Hi all, this is my first attempt at mapping out a hull design.With no particular ship in mind I started out by making a grid on a piece of cardboard and drew a basic deck outline.With that done I cut out some cardboard ribs to form the middle section,

then using spacer blocks to stand the ribs up I adjusted the shape of the hull by eye with sandpaper and a utility knife. At this point it looked like I was going to end up with some sort of cabin cruiser.

Looking around the shop I found some old scrap squares of 1/2" plywood to use and started jigsawing out some ribs.After getting what I thought was the bulk of the middle section cut out I assembled them with 1 1/4" spacers. I then clamped the whole section in my small work table and proceeded to shape the frame with an orbital sander. Here is where my mind starts to race..lol

post-24231-0-40498900-1458457449_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-41729600-1458457488_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-90512800-1458457515_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keith Simmons

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Once I had a basic shape I decided to run some African Mahogany planking so I could figure out how to fill in the bow and stern with solid blocks.I then added a Mahogany keel strip to help me eyeball the bow rise. Not sure what happened but I saw something and went off in a whole other direction. By adding Mahogany bow and stern sections I elongated the hull by several inches and that is when it became a dragon ship. The middle section looked like a belly of a beast and changed my plan, so I added blocks at the keel and transom lines to allow for diagonal planking. From here on anything is possible as the ideas are racing around in my head... :)

post-24231-0-72758200-1458458776_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-97585400-1458458799_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-28313900-1458458828_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-90119800-1458458850_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-74228500-1458458870_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

HinKeith

Well done so far. The hull's taking shape and she certainly looks like she's an interesting design.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I am looking forward to see how it comes out, have a couple of ideas. Now just have to see if they fit..lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Sounds like a fun concept, coming up with your own design. She's going to be one of a kind! This will be fun to watch :)!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Well, finally have the hull and deck planked, time for a little thought as to where I go from here. Guess I can do that while I'm sanding ...:)  The bulk of the hull is planked with quarter sawed African Mahogany ( which I call Bubble Wood ) , the transom was made with rough sawed  African mahogany as well.. The lines of the hull are broken up a bit by the Bubinga wings but still has the sleek look I was going for. The deck is planked in Maple, forgot to take a picture of that. 

Back to the drawing board... Thanks for taking a look....:)

post-24231-0-52126300-1458734207_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-76292600-1458734223_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-33107000-1458734240_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

I'm not sure how, or, why, but for some reason, the hull looks a lot like Jules Vernes' Nautilus submarine. I like it!!!

The other thing I like is the fact that you're applying your imagination to such good effect. Throw out the rule book and just go where your heart and imagination takes you.

Nice and refreshing, I say.

Cheers and all the best.

Patrick

interesting concept for hull construction :)    I noticed that you didn't rib out the bow or stern.  amazing that you were able to retain the shape,  by simplt using the center spine  ;)   so cool!      gives it that  'Capt. Nemo' flare.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Keith

I'm not sure how, or, why, but for some reason, the hull looks a lot like Jules Vernes' Nautilus submarine. I like it!!!

The other thing I like is the fact that you're applying your imagination to such good effect. Throw out the rule book and just go where your heart and imagination takes you.

Nice and refreshing, I say.

Cheers and all the best.

Patrick

Hi Patrick, Thanks a lot, I really like to start a ship and see where the process takes me, kinda fun that way. I believe I have come up with an idea for the finished ship, I hope it turns out as cool as I see it in my head....lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

She looks like she could be a cool looking sailboat! Maybe she could be a schooner. I'm looking forward to where you take this! Keep going :)!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I have never carved anything but a turkey before, but considering Lindworm is Viking for dragon thought I would try a figurehead for this build. Made out of Mahogany, Maple and Bubinga. Not sure if it will work but I may have found a new dimension to my ship building... :)   Now the wings on the hull make some sense.

post-24231-0-66754900-1458801662_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-58763600-1458801681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keith Simmons

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

cool dragon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch