Jolly Roger by SomethingIsFishy - Lindberg - PLASTIC

My plan is to make a generic model of a frigate, basically following the instructions, doing things a little different as far as paint colors go...

The goal is to get a feel for building models of "tall ships" with all their rigging, to enjoy the process, and to hopefully end up with something that looks good with my other ship models... I'm pleased with how it looks so far, and I'm having fun, so I'd say I'm off to a good start.

I have some resizing to do on my pictures, so it might be a while before I get them up...

Edit: forgot to add - I'm already in the process of rigging this ship, but I do have a few pics of the progress to share...

Edited by SomethingIsFishy

Looking good, sir.    

As for your question about Photobucket... the downside is that if there's a network problem, if you close your account, or Photobucket gets bought (it does happen), then the photos in your log will be lost.   The safest way is to upload them here.  It's not hard to do and instructions are here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/540-how-to-add-pictures-in-your-posts-and-pms/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good point, scrolling thru pages of "photo not found" is not very interesting...

Meanwhile back at the docks... Sails are up next according to the instructions. I will be using the supplied sails, they look decent enough for me and for this build. I prefer the look of billowing sails, I think models without sails look naked...

Great work! She looks awesome. I built one of these a long time ago. I agree the plastic masts and rigging are hard to deal with. After 10 years of getting bumped around the masts on mine broke apart. I'm slowly restoring it with wood. Again great work.

Spent a lot of my Saturday working on the ship...

Almost there... I suppose I could have taken more time, but this model is more "let's see how I like modeling tall ships" than "let's make it look perfect".

I'm really enjoying this build, and am already looking forward to the next one...

IMG_3373.JPG

Fixed picture

Finished!! I realize this has been a quick build, but I'm happy with how the ship turned out.

I plan on investing a lot more time into my next build, which will hopefully be started on my birthday... I've told my wife exactly which ship I would like...

IMG_3372.JPG

Fixed picture

Love it. She looks great. Nothing wrong with a quick build. Having fun is the most important part of this hobby.

• 4 weeks later...

That's clever and it looks good!

I hope your birthday isn't too far away, so you can start working on your next model soon. 

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

have one of these ship models too.   I did mess with it a little.....one of these days,  I'll go full tilt with it  :)    you did a great job with it........looks very well done  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch