Planking repairs

Hello Les here. I have another question about ship building tools. Once again it seemed a good idea at the time. I recieved my  Mantua plank bending tool. I'm saving time now.  Tried it out, seems interesting but, it crushes the wood on the inside so you don't get a smooth curve on the outside. You get kind of get a 20 degree bend? For 1st planking it might be okay as you can sand out the abrupt bends on the outside. Any input on this magic tool?

The only thing magical about that tool is it's ability to steal money year after year from unsuspecting modelers.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I bought one of these magic tools many years ago.  It actually is useful for a down-n-dirty first planking with a soft wood such as basswood.  But if you are careful with the tool and make many small impressions rather than a few large ones the outside of the plank should be reasonably smooth.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Les here. Ok, I have a new one for you guys. I purchased the Amati electric plank bending tool. It supplies a jig for forming curves. Have tried it out on the long boat for the Endeavour. Works great. Have used the forward portion of the decking to make a template for the planking. If you cut a form with your bandsaw it could potentially work for some compound curves. So do I need to hide under my desk in shame on this one or did I get it right?