Unknown Ship

normanh

Purchased this oil painting a few months back of a sailing ship in full sail -its oil on canvas, Reeves branded canvas on what looks to be very professionally mounted in a frame all brass screws, my thoughts maybe 50's/60's painting. The artist has signed the picture - H Rowen. The ship is flying the Red Duster so shes British. I have no other details. At first I thought maybe the Cutty Sark but shes not carrying enough canvas, any thoughts guys on her name?

Oh I paid the huge sum of £12 a bargin I thought from a local antique centre a few weekends back, its in very good condition with just one small fleck of missing paint. It was complete with a very tidy professional frame as well.

Thanks

Norman

post-100-0-96603600-1479154349_thumb.jpg

Edited by normanh

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

The single topsails say American 1850's clipper. The flag is British. A vessel from 1850-1865 for sure. The painting has something of the "feel" of a Montague Dawson painting.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

The White Star Line's Red Jacket would be one possibility.  Designed by Samuel Pook of Boston and built by George Thomas Rockland, Maine, she was in the Australian immigrant trade for many years under British colors.  Likewise Donald McKay's Lightning, built for the Black Ball Line's Australian trade.  Unfortunately, what I can see of the house flag at the mainmast truck doesn't appear to match either of these owners.  Assuming the artist was careful about his details (and the rigging in general looks pretty accurate), a positive identification should be possible from the house flag and what is probably the private signal hoisted at the mizzen.  House flags of shipping companies can be researched online if someone on this site doesn't recognize it (a clearer closeup would help).

Bill

Not sure if thispost-100-0-62570400-1479236546_thumb.jpg will work hopefully it will as I have cut the flags from the original picture, maybe these will help with the shipping line?

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Unlikely to be American due to her flying the Red Duster, its not a courtesy flag no Stars and Stripes visible. I did try and look up the main mast flag but theres likely 100's of companies on the link I found and no easy way to look at each other than one at a time.

Norman 

Norman

Matle I think you are right based on the flag http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us~hfgr.html colours match perfectly on the flag but still cant explain the Red Duster.

This looks very familar http://finishingtouchgallery.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Flying-Cloud-Yankee-Clipper-1851-1874-350x250.jpg

Norman

Edited by normanh

Norman

Theres nothing on the back of the canvas Don, I have already looked, no backing there.

Norman

Norman

Where Jud? Yes I see a shadow below the house flag!

Norman

Edited by normanh

Norman

From the Spanker Gaff. The Flag Hoist looks like 1RPV, something under it I can't make out. I read the flag hoist using the international Flag Signals as shown in the 5th edition of the American Merchant Seaman's Manual, mine dated 1965, don't know when they were adapted or if they have been changed

jud

Edited by jud

Yes - very lpost-100-0-17488000-1479331303.jpgikely Stars and Stripes

Found this as well - a very similar composition!

Norman

Norman