Bluenose by martin9428 - Artesania Latina

Recently I took an interest in Ship in a bottles and thought I may try my hand at building one and then thought..."let me get some knowledge on ship anatomy" so, I decided that I wanted to start by building a wooden ship. I decided that the Bluenose would be a nice place to start as there wasn't a lot of rigging. I was blown away at the cost of kits and as a disabled vet, cost was an issue. I also have a tendency not to finish things I start as I get frustrated easily and I also tend to have heavy hands. One day while looking in a thrift shop, I came across this kit for $8 and thought it would be a great kit to cut my teeth one and if I mess up, I'm only out $8 plus the $60 spent on various tools and supplies but, none the less, relatively cheap considering. The kit states that it is an easy build and can be done in a week-end. Funny as it has taken me all of three weeks or more and still have the rigging and sails left. Anyway, here are some pictures of the build so far. The hull is made of what they call Artist wood which appears to be nothing more then compressed cardboard and the pieces weren't even close to fitting properly but after some mods and sanding I got them close enough and filler filled the rest. There isn't a lot of detail on this kit so, I added some little touches here and there. I hope you enjoy the pictures and thanks for looking at my build so far. Looking forward to building something more detailed after this. By the way. Pictures are out of sequence.

CIMG0998.JPG

CIMG0997.JPG

CIMG0999.JPG

CIMG1000.JPG

CIMG1001.JPG

CIMG1002.JPG

CIMG1003.JPG

CIMG1004.JPG

CIMG1005.JPG

CIMG1076.JPG

Nice work.

This was also my first foray in ship modelling, however, I paid a little more than $8.00 for mine. :)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Looking good, your doing a great job.  Welcome to the world of modelling.  I look forward one day to see your ship in the bottle.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Here's a very few Pictures that I have for your particular build. (Before i knew anything meaningful)

Enjoy!! :)

Cheers....HOF.

Bluenose 1a.jpg

Bluenose 1c.jpg

Bluenose 1d.jpg

Bluenose 1g.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin,

"Weekend Kit" - yeah, right. Bit of false advertising if ever I've seen it :D .

So your aim is eventually to build a ship in a bottle? That's a whole different ball game. I was getting a bit bored with building full size ships a while ago, so I thought I'd give SIB a go. Check the link in my Signature below for some tips if you like. It was a ton of fun :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi