Corsair by DCIronfist - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:80 scale (First wooden ship build)

Hello and welcome to my first build of my first wooden ship. I got the Corsair brigantine from my wife for an early birthday present. My wife was also kind enough to set up a place for me to work and get me starter tools.

This is my first attempt in this hobby so I will have plenty of questions and hope to get lots of help. I eagerly look forward to any and all comments.

Here is the box that came.....post-3113-0-09240000-1366237980_thumb.jpg

And here it is laid out to attempt a count

post-3113-0-09240000-1366237980_thumb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by,

David

post-3113-0-47303300-1366238055_thumb.jpg

David     :pirate41:

First Build: Corsair Brigantine

Hi David,

Great to see that you have started your Corsiar!

Any questions….just ask!

Enjoy your build and I will follow you closely with this.

Good luck!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

hello David

a lot less missing then in my kit so thats good

i ll just sit next to Sjors and follow your build :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Ok so read the 40 page PDF http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/plankingprojectbeginners.pdf and to be honest it's a lot of information to try to understand.

Hey Sjors did you measure out the bulkheads and make a count for how many strakes you needed? Well I guess fist I need to get bulkheads in place and get those nice and square.

Hi David,

No I didn't.

I just start planking…...

I have the build log but not posted after the big bang.

If you want it please let me know and I will post the pictures again.

It's only pictures ,no text!

That is lost in cyber space…...

Sjors

Hi David,

No I didn't.

I just start planking…...

I have the build log but not posted after the big bang.

If you want it please let me know and I will post the pictures again.

It's only pictures ,no text!

That is lost in cyber space…...

Sjors

I did see that but it was magically from frame to all first strikes on to second on lol thank you. The pics did help :)

hi David

just a few things :

did you also check the bottom of the bulkheads. they should sit almost to the bottom of the fals keel with just the thickness of the planks you are using  left

i the picture it looks like the first 3 bulkheads are lower on the left while the other bulkheads are more straigth not sure if that is because of the angle you took the picture 

finally as you filed down the top of the bulkheads where the rounded on top ? ( i cant tell from the pics). if so you l make sure you keep the same curve

Hello David.  Just came across this log today and thought I'd pull up a chair.  You've already got 2 great guys helping out so I'll try and be quiet.

First off, welcome to MSW and to your first wooden ship build.  That one is always an 'exciting' voyage.  We all know that Sjors has built Corsair but I never saw a build log on one.  And thank your wife for me for getting you started :)

Adrieke made three good points in his last post so heed them well before you grab the glue.  Look at the bottom of the bulkheads to be sure they are positioned correctly at the keel ---- THEN worry about the tops.  If you post a photo taken from the side it will show us how they are sitting.

Best of luck on this, your maiden voyage.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I am at work today(not sure i want everything here of my hours) I will take a pic of the side and post in morn. If I remember correctly the first bulkhead came a bit past the bottom of the keel but others lined up near where the first strikes come to.

And Augie please do chime in with any and all comments :)

Edited by DCIronfist

hello David. that sounds good. the back 2 bulkheads on my endeavour where longer too but thats where the keel curves upwards and the frames need a lot of fairing so i assume that is the same with your bulkhead.

Augie its because thats where i am at with my endeavour adn its all fresh in my memory ( give a few more months and i ll proabbaly have forgotten it lol) so please join in as i am still a newbie like David :).

David, first of all welcome to MSW, if you have any questions just ask, there are so many great modelers here you can always get help if you post pics of what you are struggling with!

As for your first build, just remember one thing, the more time you spend getting the frames ( skeleton ) correct, the more time you will save in the long run.

Sjors has built this model and I'm sure he will be of great help to you, don't be afraid to ask him questions, he is already a captain on the forum and loves to help anybody he can.

I'll be watching with interest.

Ben

hi David

just a few things :

did you also check the bottom of the bulkheads. they should sit almost to the bottom of the fals keel with just the thickness of the planks you are using left

i the picture it looks like the first 3 bulkheads are lower on the left while the other bulkheads are more straigth not sure if that is because of the angle you took the picture

finally as you filed down the top of the bulkheads where the rounded on top ? ( i cant tell from the pics). if so you l make sure you keep the same curve

I kinda noticed this and not sure if the keel itself is slightly bent to make those 3 tip......any ideas on how to fix this if it is the keel?

I only sanded the middle where they slide into each other

Edited by DCIronfist

David . best way to check is to lie the keel flat on a surface. if its bended it shoud show up.

not sure what the standard practice is to right  a keel but i would wet the outsides (soakign could loosen the plywood) and then clamp it between two haeavy straight planks

Check it the way Adrieke suggested.  If it's not flat, use his technique.  If that doesn't work, we have other sophistcated methods (like brute force).  But first things first....let's see the extent of the problem if any.

Now RELAX!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

OK, she's got a slight bend.  The technique you used should work.  As a firefighter (thanks for that by the way), you're probably the only person on the forum strong enough to lift those weights :D .

Give it plenty of time to dry....like a full day.  If it's still out of whack you can repeat the process and even 'overbend it' just a little by placing something under the center and weighting down the ends.  Plywood is notorious for springing back so usually overbending will allow it to relax to the straight position.

The filler blocks you saw in another forum are your last line of defense if the warp comes back after the bulkheads are glued in.  A little 'creative clamping' can come in handy at that point.  Getting her straight is important as you don't want a 'banana' when your 6 months down the road.  This problem is more common then you would think.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

a good time to check some other stuff out David maybe look at some of the deck furniture :)

as Augie said if you cnat get the bend out that way you can do the same as i did on my Endeavour. i have been lucky so far with no bend keels but th eblocks make me sleep better knowing i wont accidently push soem bulkhead out of alingment