Corsair by DCIronfist - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:80 scale (First wooden ship build)

Greetings, David!  I am a late arrival here, but you are doing a great job on this one.  Robbyn, Augie, Keith and (yes, even Sjors) are all giving you some great advice.  Like Adrian said, for holding things when there is no hold like at the bow use rubber bands. As keith showed in his Swift log, it is amazing how you can adapt rubber bands to clamp strange shaped pieces!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Welcome to my learning corner Wayne. Ok so I wood glued my cracked bulwark and clamped it together... Thought a step ahead and put a piece of scrap paper on the glue side of the clamp so I do not glue the clamp to the ship. I will give this some time to dry and check the progress later maybe tomorrow.post-3113-0-11528400-1370108853_thumb.jpg

I think I'll give it the 24 dry time perhaps I will put in the fill pieces I've been putting off due to the mess I will make with those lol

David     :pirate41:

First Build: Corsair Brigantine

Who cares what it looks like, as long as those bands hold it where you want then all is good!  Good luck with the fix David, and happy to see you didn't give up!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Looks like that'll hold her :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

As still once again, brute force triumphs over reason.  You're my kinda guy :D  :D

Can't wait to see how this repair works out.  I'm betting on great!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm betting we'll never know its there Augie. Unlesss we read the log....

You'll find David that anything can be fixed, the hardest part sometimes is starting the repair/redo. You can never use too many rubber bands and I love using mast holes and dowels for making lever, especially for pulling a bow plank tight against the stem.

Another handy tool is a box of various shaped blocks and wedges. Placed under the bands in the correct place can create just the right force in just the right place and direction.

I've gotten to the point that I never uncap the glue syringe until I've worked out my clamping method. I've also sworn off CA, if at all possible. My reasoning is this...if the piece is correctly shaped it will require less clamping. Ive slowly learned that taking time to shape each piece really pays off. I dreaded my bulwarks, but in the end... tape and a couple of bands was all it took. Because I switched wood and spent the time to shape it.

Also, never under-estimate the time you feel like your wasting staring at the ship and thinking. I've found thinking something over very well, to be one of the best tools on the bench. Ship building is very much a head game, I think thats one of the reasons it draws me like a moth to flame. There is always something new to think about. Also, go with your gut over instructions. You'll find your right more frequently then the instructions, especially if its an AL kit.

Remember, it isn't a race and the first person done isn't necessarily the winner. Plus the slower you work the less $/hr this hobby costs, if you dont replace all the wood like I did, but even then, what I didnt use is lumberyard material for future builds. The Walnut left from my Swift is probably going into the lobster smack.

So its all relative, at least that what Al keeps telling me.

The broken repair went well and no there is no evidence on either side of the cracks so I have to soak them and get them to the shape once more so hopefully this time I will not break the same or a different spot lol. Well going in prepared for it to snap so am ready lol.

The repair is going to go just fine.  But we need to work on your nautical vocabulary.  Belaying pins are metal or wooden pins to which the running rigging is secured along the rails (or belaying pin racks) of the ship.  There will also be belaying pins around the fife rails (near the bottom of the masts) which serve as addtional belaying pin racks.  The mystery will be revealed as you proceed !!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Good luck with the gluing. Just take your time and dont force. If it requires forcing it needs more shaping. Some pieces I'd soak and reshape 2-3 time before they were to my liking. Glad to hear the repair to the break worked. :dancetl6:

Augies right on the nautical terminology. Its amazing how as you build it, you must learn the terminology. Thats one of the great parts of building.

here's a google pic page of belaying pins, basically they're used to to tie of running rigging.

http://www.google.com/search?q=belaying+pin&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cCWuUbb3H5OMyAH3oICQCg&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1165&bih=860

Don't force them David...patience is the key and perhaps the hardest part of the hobby, at least in my mind.  Looking forward to more pics, AFTER you have them done...I am betting no one will be able to tell at all that there was a break.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

dont worry David . i can tell you are determined and together with patience thats is the most important in building :)

pateintly :P waiting for the pics

with OcCre you hope you have to ask them to send missing/damaged parts as you get the nice plaque (wish i had known that before i asked for my replacement parts through the hobby store instead of OcCre direct :huh: )

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

hmm i might try that David thank you .

is that a picture on the box  as i dont see anythign about this on their website and i dont think i haev seen it on my box

Adriaan,

It's not on the box.

Most of the time when you send OcCre an e-mail with your home address you will received such name plate.

Very nice gesture of them!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I agree it shows they are customer focused and I will send them an email to see if I can get mine :)

Ok a pic of the fixed bulwark and will be covered with strakes.post-3113-0-66048900-1370711954_thumb.jpg

So I lined the foredeck and the back piece post-3113-0-10454300-1370712028_thumb.jpg

Ok and I have a nice gap in the front where the plywood would not reach and looks like its going to be fun trying to get the foredeck to 3 mm below the bulwark......post-3113-0-19352100-1370712135_thumb.jpg

Great fix David!

When you do the second planking, you don't see the crack anymore.

When you take a look at my Corsair, you also can see that the for deck not fits.

Just let your deck planking touch the bulwark and again, you don't see the difference.

Good luck with it.

Sounds like Sjors has been down all the same paths.  Be nice if he told you beforehand ---- but then there wouldn't be any fun :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

When I tell everything on forehand, I think David will change it before he get that problem….

It's good for his building skills when he found it out by himself  :D

But on the other hand….he can also read the log and find out  :D

As usual, Sjors has things all calculated and figured out !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The fix looks great David...see, nothing to get upset about at all, just an easy fix!!

As for things not coming together, or fitting properly, welcome to the world of kit building :P But in all seriousness, it is just those little challenges that force us to overcome, adapt, and create innovative fixes. It is those things that make us better modelers.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station