HM Brig Supply by Jobbie - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

There’s a rather confusing, not clearly described or drawn part of the running rigging plan on sheet 6. I believe I’ve worked it out, so I’ll share it here to possibly aid other builders.

The lifting tackle (tyes) for the top-sail yards (the two middle yards) start off with the port and starboard ropes being tied to the upper forward-most cross-trees. From there they drop down to the yard, pass in opposite directions through a double block in the middle (K; 5mm double block), then back up to the cross-trees. Then they pass through two separate blocks tied to the cross-trees (H; 3mm single block) and down through a truck: a hole drilled through a section of square wood that’s been lashed to the aft-most top-mast back-stay. (6th deadeye from the front on the fore-mast, 7th deadeye from the front on the main-mast. 

I used 1.5mm x 1.5mm walnut, cut into 3mm lengths for the 4x trucks.  

From there, the top-sail yard tyes terminate at a block (J; 5mm single block).

A second block is lashed to the chain-plates. The final hauled rope on each side passes through both blocks and gets tied off: Forward inner bulwark cleat for the fore, aft-most belaying pin on the quarterdeck for the main.

I’ve probably confused you more, haven’t I?

IMG_5027.jpeg

IMG_5029.jpeg

IMG_5028.jpeg

Edited by Jobbie
Terminology correction.

Completed:

Billing’s Boats Cutty Sark

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Panart Royal Yacht Caroline 

Current build

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Hi Jobbie, was a little confused for a moment as you mentioned 'lifts' which go to the yard arm ends and are combined with the t'gallent sheets. You are working on the 'tyes', (which were used to lift the yard up into position, just to confuse things).

Just a point but i am sure the trucks were provided in my kit of HMS Supply. If not i tend to use glass beads which can be brought in black at different sizes.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Oh, you’re absolutely correct. I’ll go back and amend my previous post. Thanks.

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

The foremast’s topsail yard’s braces, as per the kit’s rigging plan. 

They’re shown running down along each side of the main-mast’s back-stay then through a double block before belaying at the fore-mast pin-rail. 

IMG_5051.jpeg

IMG_5048.jpeg

IMG_5049.jpeg

IMG_5050.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

• 2 weeks later...

The top four yardarm’s are now complete. I found no real issues with their rigging plans. 

However, I’ve relocated the main mast’s top-sail yard’s brace-tackle blocks from the aft bulwarks to the transom in order to hopefully avoid interference with the  lower, larger cross-jack yard’s braces. 

IMG_5102.jpeg

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_5096.jpeg

IMG_5097.jpeg

IMG_5099.jpeg

IMG_5100.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Yes, I’m getting there. I’m simply loving this build. 

I’m impressed with your list of builds, too. I’m an avid plastic scale modeller, too. See “The scale model twins” on Facebook. 

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve now completed the rigging for the lower yardarm on both masts. Both the foremast’s main and topsail braces run through blocks down along the main-stay. They get very close to each other but don’t rub on each other when rigging according to the plans. 

I don’t particularly like the way these port and starboard braces run through double blocks together above the windlass because their working load wouldn’t be parallel to the pulley’s axle. But I’ll leave it to match the plans as a reference for other builders of this kit. 

All the rigging except for the spirit-sail yard is now complete. Coils of rope need to be placed on the pin-rails where ropes are lashed and the anchors both need suspending on their cat-heads….then this project’s complete. 

IMG_5213.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5214.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build