Is anyone working on Bluejacket's 'Portland?'

RFP

32 minutes ago, MrBlueJacket said:

There is a Facebook posting of the building of the Portland from Jim Finan. It's about 2 years old, but a good sequence for you.

Nic

Thanks, Nic, for the kind suggestion... unfortunately (!) we are among the few cranky folks still alive that don't use Facebook.  

Since joining this fine group, I've done little except ask questions (such as this one)... I haven't started a thing!  Just as I was getting excited about resuming model-building, my wife (of fifty eight years) began having debilitating back problems.  After months of ineffectual treatment, we finally wised up and sought out a very fine neurosurgeon, who successfully operated on her back.  While the surgery was specific and 'fixed' a specific problem (pain), she still has a seventy-eight year old spine.  Regaining stamina and balance has been an uphill fight for her, and me, too, as I care for her.

Sorry for the boring story... Linda has progressed to the point where I can once again start agonizing over which model to tackle... I have been reading about the Portland for a couple of months now, and have pretty much decided it will be the one.

Again, thank you for your kind reply... I hope to be in the boat-building-business soon!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I started working on the PORTLAND (updated version) back on April 1, 2016. Two years later, when I got to the

officers quarters and walking beam assemblies, I ran into a roadblock. Couldn't quite figure out how to approach

building either one. She has been sitting since then as pictured below. I did build two other boat models from 

other manufacturers in the past 12 months. Had to keep my mind afloat. I did take several photos during the build

process so if you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

John

IMG_0007.JPG

1 hour ago, jbelwood said:

Hi Rob,

I started working on the PORTLAND (updated version) back on April 1, 2016. Two years later, when I got to the

officers quarters and walking beam assemblies, I ran into a roadblock. Couldn't quite figure out how to approach

building either one. She has been sitting since then as pictured below. I did build two other boat models from 

other manufacturers in the past 12 months. Had to keep my mind afloat. I did take several photos during the build

process so if you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

John

Good morning, John

Thank you for your reply and your generous offer of 'help' ... what a great resource!   I am so impressed with your work on your Portland, your talent and attention to detail is much in evidence.   While I really have no idea what lies ahead in the construction of the walking beam and officers' quarters, lust looking at all the photo-etched railings is enough to strike terror in my little heart.  But, as they say, "fools rush in....."

Thanks again, your photo in inspiring.

Rob

7 minutes ago, jbelwood said:

Here is Jim Finans build on the PORTLAND. I've referred to it many times. 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152720184325928.1073741831.593315927&type=1&l=8d5b89f0c5

Thanks, John, this should be very helpful.  I'm delighted to find that I can view (even download) the photos while not being a Facebook user.  By the way, I'm guessing that Jim's build is from the earlier Bluejacket kit.

Hi again Rob,

Thought you might like this, my favorite painting of the PORTLAND. I spoke with Mr. Muller on the phone a few years

back to see if prints were available. No prints, only the original was offered. Go to his thumbnails for other spectacular

paintings of these beautiful side wheelers. Enjoy.

http://www.jrusselljinishiangallery.com/pages/muller-pages/mullerimage-boston-bay-1898.htm

• 2 months later...

My kit is arriving on the 28th.  I'm looking forward to this build.  Looking at the photo jbelwood provided, I'm amazed at how crisp (is that the correct description?) that model looks.  I can only hope that mine comes out somewhere near that nice.

My stepson started this model around 20 years ago, and did not get far.  I still have that kit, but purchased the new one because of the laser cut parts. 

I tried to view the facebook page that was linked above, but get the "Sorry, this content isn't available right now" page. 

Wish me luck!

4 hours ago, norm1116 said:

My kit is arriving on the 28th.  I'm looking forward to this build.  Looking at the photo jbelwood provided, I'm amazed at how crisp (is that the correct description?) that model looks.  I can only hope that mine comes out somewhere near that nice.

My stepson started this model around 20 years ago, and did not get far.  I still have that kit, but purchased the new one because of the laser cut parts. 

I tried to view the facebook page that was linked above, but get the "Sorry, this content isn't available right now" page. 

Wish me luck!

Norm,

Yes, indeed... good luck with your build!

Are you going to post a build log?  Please do... with lots of photos, too.  Thanks,

Robert

Edited by RFP

The Post Office delivered my Portland today on Memorial Day!  The box is HUGE, nowhere near as small as the first kit I bought.  I emailed Bluejacket to ask what the differences were between the pre-laser kit and the one I received today.  Since the original kit is still in near original condition (+/- age issues), it might be fun to take photos of both for comparisons.

Can anyone tell me why I have issues viewing Jim Finan's site?  I get  "Sorry, this content isn't available right now".

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152720184325928.1073741831.593315927&type=1&l=8d5b89f0c5

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, norm1116 said:

Wish me luck!

Any update, Norm?  Really looking forward to your build!

RFP,

I have both kits, the pre-laser and the one I received on Memorial Day.  I have had 4 questions answered by BlueJacket.  I'm planning on comparing the 2 sets of blueprints as well as the 2 hulls.  I'm concerned about a couple of the actual measurements and the blue prints.  I'm not saying their plans are off, I'm saying I can't get my head around a couple of things.  I'll call them and figure it out.

I took pictures of the 1995-6 kit contents, as well as the new one.  Really good stuff.  After 20+ years in storage, the old kit still looks brand new and ready to go. 

Hi norm1116,

Unfortunately my Portland still sits as pictured above. I also have both kits. The older kit was a gift from a friend who

didn't want to build it. Had it sitting around for years. I then opted to get the newer version with all the laser cut parts.

In comparing both hulls, the older one seemed to be of another type of wood so I started with that.  Someone told me

that the new kit hull was 1/2 inch longer than the original so I cut the old one in half and added a 1/2 inch piece. This

was probably a mistake as I had to make some concessions as the build went along. The newer hull is correct.

My biggest issue was shaping the hull correctly. This was my first solid hull model and I really didn't understand the 

correct procedure that an experienced model would have used. As a result, the center line was a bit off from the start.

This error has followed me through the build although I have been able to compensate here and there.

Guess I've rambled on enough. Here's a start up photo for you.

John

IMG_0003.JPG

jbelwood

Thanks for that photo.  I have not had a chance to really check everything out yet, but it seems like the new hull is .5" longer than what is on the plans.  I want to check out a few additional items so I can wrap my head around this before I ruin something.  Between you and BlueJacket, I'm sure I can get off on the right foot.

Your Portland looks really nice.  I'm hoping mine comes out close to that.

I would LOVE to see the photo with the 1/2 inch addition!

Edited by norm1116

jbelwood, 

Thanks for the video.  I remember reading about this back when the ship was located.

That must have been one heck of an operation adding that .5" to the hull.  I would have ruined everything trying to do that!

I made all my measurements today and sent an email to BlueJacket to get their opinion on my findings.  I'll do an update after I hear from them.

Hi,

This is what was concerning me about the Portland plans.  The 3 sheets seemed to be short 1/2 to 1 inch.  The photo shows the main deck set on the plans with the bow and stern ends in their correct location.  You can see an overlap in the 1/2" range.  This happens on the lines sheet and the one showing the main deck.

The 2 pieces that make up the main deck is a combined 36.5" long.  I was told that the master mylars measure the deck at 36" plus or minus a 16th. 

So I'm thinking "What do I do with that extra half inch?

In an email, It was recommended that I "Believe the laser cut parts, and use the plans for general reference".  I may have mis-perceived what I heard, but I got the impression that the plans were considered "close enough".

The issue is there is no way to say which measurement is correct.  Is the deck supposed to be 36" per the mylars they use to print plans?  Or is it 36.5" per the laser cut parts.

I may be over analyzing this, and welcome any and all opinion of the subject, but if the 2019 kit was all I had right now, I would have returned this kit even with the 20% restocking fee.

IMG_0718_1024x683.JPG

I contacted their pro, Charlie Cook, and his enthusiasm about the Portland made me change my mind.  I'm going to build this model. 

So, I pulled out the plans that came with the kit I purchased in 1996.  I laid the 2019 main deck on the plans, and guess what.  Exactly 36.5". 

IMG_0720_1024x683.JPG.0889d32b5b1cd2dd8d51154dfeabafc0.JPG

There are big differences between the 2 kits, but I can use the lines from the older kit to work the hull, then I should be in good shape to continue on.

I'd be interested to hear from other Portland builders if they had issues with the plans, or if I'm just blowing this out of proportion. 

Either way, I'm going to start this soon.

Update:

I used the plans from the 1996 kit to make stem, stern, and 5 or 6 station profiles.  I compared them to the plans that came with the 2019 kit, and they are visibly the same.  I should have checked these items before making my comment about them. 

I still have issues with the plans not matching the laser cut parts, but I can work around that.

Edited by norm1116
Correction on a comment

On 3/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, RFP said:

unfortunately (!) we are among the few cranky folks still alive that don't use Facebook

And you have my respect for that! I only joined FB in order to stay in touch with my adult children, who have since migrated to other social media platforms.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, norm1116 said:

Hi,

This is what was concerning me about the Portland plans.  The 3 sheets seemed to be short 1/2 to 1 inch.  The photo shows the main deck set on the plans with the bow and stern ends in their correct location.  You can see an overlap in the 1/2" range.  This happens on the lines sheet and the one showing the main deck.

The 2 pieces that make up the main deck is a combined 36.5" long.  I was told that the master mylars measure the deck at 36" plus or minus a 16th. 

So I'm thinking "What do I do with that extra half inch?

In an email, It was recommended that I "Believe the laser cut parts, and use the plans for general reference".  I may have mis-perceived what I heard, but I got the impression that the plans were considered "close enough".

The issue is there is no way to say which measurement is correct.  Is the deck supposed to be 36" per the mylars they use to print plans?  Or is it 36.5" per the laser cut parts.

I may be over analyzing this, and welcome any and all opinion of the subject, but if the 2019 kit was all I had right now, I would have returned this kit even with the 20% restocking fee.

IMG_0718_1024x683.JPG

I contacted their pro, Charlie Cook, and his enthusiasm about the Portland made me change my mind.  I'm going to build this model. 

So, I pulled out the plans that came with the kit I purchased in 1996.  I laid the 2019 main deck on the plans, and guess what.  Exactly 36.5". 

IMG_0720_1024x683.JPG.0889d32b5b1cd2dd8d51154dfeabafc0.JPG

There are big differences between the 2 kits, but I can use the lines from the older kit to work the hull, then I should be in good shape to continue on.

I'd be interested to hear from other Portland builders if they had issues with the plans, or if I'm just blowing this out of proportion. 

Either way, I'm going to start this soon.

Good morning, Norm...

I am so glad that you are building this gorgeous model!  Are you going to start a 'build log,' or are you just going to keep it all in this thread?

I've been a [mostly-lurking] member of this fine group for some time now, but have yet to actually start any constructive work.  I spend a lot of time trying to decide what ship I wanted to tackle as my re-entry into the hobby; way too much time.  I knew I didn't want another warship, and was kind of hot/cold toward whaling ships.  Then I 'found' the Portland and it really appeals to me, so evocative of that era.  After I had decided that the Portland would be 'it,' I promptly had some health issues the first five months of this year (all's well now!!), so I'm really wanting to get started soon.  So, after all that, I am so looking forward to watching you progress... I wish you the very, very best, have fun with it!

Rob

Hi Norm,

I made several oversights when forming my hull. As a newbie I just had at it and used the old mark1 eyeball to

get the appropriate shape of the hull. As a result, I could not get the center line equi distance from the 

sides of the hull at each station point. It looked good enough not realizing the problems ahead. Thus far I have

been able to deal with it.

You'll notice that there is a slight camber in the hulls deck. I asked Nic about this and he said he did not concern 

himself with it.  Looking back, I should have removed that camber. The build went quite smoothly until I set the

hurricane deck in place. It was then that I noticed the camber caused the paddle boxes to angle outward ever so slightly.

I apparently glued the main deck to the hull following the camber. There is now a noticeable gap between the paddle

boxes and the hurricane deck. Easy to fix but something of note.

When you get to the sponsons, let me know. I came up with a much simpler and quicker approach to this part of the build.

Looking forward to your suggestions as you proceed.

John

RFP,

I will probably start a new build log.  I'm reading up on using an index.  Never did this before.  One of my big issues is I get so into the work, I forget to take a photo or two.  I'm going to leave the camera out, so I hope I get it all.

The 2nd issue is you will get to watch me screw "something" up eventually....

jbelwood,

I think I'm doing OK with the center line on the hull, but it could also be my first "screw up" mentioned earlier, hehe..

I never even thought about a camber.  I have it.  It fluctuates both ways over the length of the hull.  I'll pull out the sander and take care of it.  It will be easier to take care of it now than to fix things later on.

I will get with you on the sponsons, thanks! 

Other than the hull, did you plan on using anything from the older kit on new model?

This is what I did this year.  Another kit in the closet for 20 years. 

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.a710abbc1855f522da4cd57966424dbc.JPG

Edited by norm1116

Norm,

That whale boat looks super. Two members in our marine model club have built that kit with fantastic results.

Seeing your work you should have little trouble with Portland. Can't believe we'll eventually have to rig 16 davits

for her life boats. 

I used some of the larger pieces of wood that separates the decks found in the older kit. The new kit has enough

but I added some extras here and there. Bluejackets kit is quite complete.

John

All,

In this post I made a comment that I did not feel I could make accurate profiles using the plans that came with the 2019 kit.

I used the plans from the 1996 kit to make stem, stern, and 5 or 6 station profiles.  I compared them to the plans that came with the 2019 kit, and they are visibly the same.  I should have checked these items before making my comment about them. 

I still have issues with the plans not matching the laser cut parts, but I can work around that.

I made a mistake and do not want anyone to miss out on building this ship based on that comment. 

Edited by norm1116

On 6/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, norm1116 said:

I have started a new build log for the Portland.  Pretty much nothing there as of today, but I hope to do a reasonable job.  Please be sure to give me all the advise you can, give me any build secrets you may have from building the Portland, and if you want any specific photos, feel free to request them. 

Build Log for Portland

Edited by norm1116