HMS Triton by Stevo79 - 1/48 - POF 28-gun frigate by Steve

Hi Everyone,  

Yes another new chap here to the forum.  I have been lurking in the shadows for sometime reading. reading and researching as I am new to scratch building wooden ship models.  I am however an avid RC aircraft modeler and build and fly only scale gliders from 1/4 scale up.  The largest scratch built glider I have has a wingspan of 7.5m so no small foamies here.

Whilst this build goes on I also purchased the Hayling Hoy book from sea-watch and will be building this during the Triton build.  A little test bed really.  I hope to document this Triton build to a high level to ensure I have a beautiful replica once completed and I am certain I will have plenty of questions along the way so the more detail provided the easier it will be to gain assistance.

There isn't a whole lot to show just yet as I have only printed out a very small number of the large format drawings and have a ton to go until I finish printing them all.  I was thinking about not printing everything at once to save up a little space but I think it will be a lot easier to print them all out then check off each sheet with the master list to ensure I don't miss anything.  That's really all there is for now, I needed to get the build log started as it will give me the little nudge along to get things moving along nicely.

I would like to thank all the guys and gals out there that contributed to these drawings, they are very thorough and would have taken hundreds of man hours to put together so thank you all, especially at only 5 bucks, brilliant.  Anyway I better try to get some sleep its 3am here.

Chow for now.

Steve

Welcome to the Triton Shipyards and a lot of fun with the build.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Well its been some time since I posted last due to life, plus being sick for the last 3 weeks hasn't been much fun either.  I have slowly been planning my attack.  I am going to build all the structural members from Tasmanian Oak and some mahogany in select areas for colour plush I'll find something to use for the extra areas that need variance of colour and tone.

So the construction started with the jig which was a breeze and has been constructed with some nice thick sturdy ply.

IMG_2372.thumb.JPG.85bf18fab43b3794cd0a00a9615368e9.JPG

Nothing special to see really just a jig.

IMG_2371.thumb.JPG.38f9b4ffac90f265ee14bc9aec54f489.JPG

I really didn't take any pictures of how to cut out the parts on the scroll saw as I am pretty sure everyone here knows how to use one of those, :).

IMG_2385.thumb.JPG.ff4390f5c1dd0ee60fa8b009fe035af5.JPG

here we can see all the keel peices cut from Tasmanian Oak and awaiting scarphs, I found a nice little tool in my tool box that is perfect.

IMG_2399.thumb.JPG.07e4494888b9b4165fe26387263b5b62.JPG

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.d814cd751752019a8ce76c2df275c7c5.JPG

slowly coming together,  I was pretty happy with the scarph joints as I haven't completed many in the past but they look pretty good.

IMG_2394.thumb.JPG.67649a2af05496db58620c4f0aef0043.JPG

Well here we are the last few pictures of the keel complete awaiting the false keel which I am planning on using mahogany for.  Not sure if there was any variance of the timber used in reality but I dont mind it will show there is two separate components clearly.  Unless some of the experienced guys here know if the false keel was in identical timber as the keel.

IMG_2396.thumb.JPG.6eda4ada0283272d55f6a6af9bc2140f.JPGIMG_2395.thumb.JPG.1de2aac5b206138b97f147bf828d0aa9.JPG

Last picture, keel placed over drawings.

IMG_2397.thumb.JPG.483567a074b84aad33db49bbc4c48724.JPG

Thats it for now guys and gals, hopefully it wont be too long until my next post.  Next job is the false keel, setup the jig propoerly and commence work on the deadwoods and fore sections.

Until then.

Off to a great start.  Excellent work on the scarf joints as they look darn near perfect from here.   False keeps are a "builder's choice".  I and others use a contrasting wood like ebony and other match with a lot in between the black and "wood of choice color".   So mahogany will probably look good.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If it looks too porous to your eyes, think about making it out of oak and if it's contrast you want, stain it.  I've been doing the ebony stain thing lately as the ebony wood is just too nasty to work with. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah I have never used the ebony wood but fro, all reports as well as being very brittle to work with isnt great for the ole health either.  I'll check it out tomorrow and see how it looks.  Out of interest does anyone know if they just used the same framing timber for the false keels or was it a softer wood designed to be easily replaced.

6 minutes ago, Stevo79 said:

Out of interest does anyone know if they just used the same framing timber for the false keels or was it a softer wood designed to be easily replaced.

I cannot say what they did in Portsmouth for Triton but in the Caribbean and American yards it was common to use mahogany for the false keel. For example, Bermuda had a wonderful supply of local cedar which was excellent for shipbuilding but they still imported African mahogany for the keel components and American woods for the deck planking. 

Nice start on Triton.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold