Which scroll saw (UK)?

Hi All, 

I'm thinking of a scroll saw, so which one? The usual modeling applications, budget up to £200, UK.

Someone I know swears by his Einhell - any thoughts on them?

Thanks!

I don't have a model ship building problem. I can stop any time I want. Let me just build this another one, and then I'll stop, I promise. 

Completed: AL Endeavour longboat, AL Virginia Schooner, OcCre Dos Amigos.

In progress: BB Cutty Sark.

I am not knowledgable on Einhell, but Proxxon has a good one but restricts you to size, and is near to what you want to spend. Another option is Hegner, but more expensive. However, the first question you should ask yourself, is "what will I use it for, and what's the largest piece I will cut with it". That will decide the type of machine, and (unfortunately) the price. If you buy only based on price, you might end up with a machine gathering dust, and I don't mean sawdust.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

For years I ve been using The Dremel moto saw. It is really all I need and is very user friendly. I build in large scales and often I need to cut very thick laminated pieces, it is powerful enough. The blades last a long time and are easy to change. Dremel sells side blades so the length of cut is unlimited. It is permanently attached to my bench with a fish tank pump blowing air. It still goes strong after 5 years of relatively hard use.

I usually cut just on the edge of the line and finish off the piece on the disk sander, this gives superb accuracy. I absolutely would buy it again.

Hegner of course is on another universe, both in regards to quality and price.

I d buy the Dremel, and use the left over money towards a disk sander or the Proxon drill press

Regards

Vaddoc

IIf you do not mind cutting "fat" and finishing with a drum sander:

An Asian 9" bench top band saw that uses standard 59.5" blades  1/8"  is the  most narrow available here.

with a guide mount that will accept a Carter Stabilizer. 

Over here the saws are in the $150 or less range and the Carter is $75 more or less.  The fitting allows for tight curves to be cut.

1/4" Maple is no problem.

You will need a hand fret saw to cut inside closed jobs.

You will only face headache and frustration if you try to use a band saw this weak to resaw wood that is thick, so justifying the purchase with the additional function will not pan out.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Yeah, Hegner seems to be the Rolls-Royce of scrollsaws, but I'm not sure my needs justify the expence: I only need it for frames, bulkheads and so on, and I hardly ever cut anything thicker than 5mm ply. It would, of course, be nice to have some extra capacity in case I need it, but...

I don't have a model ship building problem. I can stop any time I want. Let me just build this another one, and then I'll stop, I promise. 

What about Clarke, Record Power, Scheppach, Ferm, Lumberjack, or others on Amazon? They are all within the same price bracket, and other than power and some comparatively minor features, are more or less the same. None of the brands above sound familiar, though, and I'd rather avoid buying a scrollsaw-shaped toy. Any experience with those?