Sao Miguel by kscadman - Mamoli - 1:54 scale

I received this kit as a present from my son. Currently I'm working on my US Syren, but work is slow due to the fact that I've developed a cataract and trying to see the blocks for rigging is virtually impossible. So I've decided to work on something bigger until I get my eye fixed.

Looking thru the kit and the instructions I've found the quality of the kit to be very good, the bulkheads, keel (bulkhead former) is of good strong plywood and the laser cutting didn't leave a slight angle as I've experienced with my Syren.

The only problem I ran into was with the stern piece (17) which unexplainably had a warp in it. I tried different techniques to straighten it but it wouldn't. So I made a new stern piece which turned out quite well. 

This kit is going to test all I've learned working on my Syren. The instructions are "matter of fact" and "assumes" that the builder knows what he or she is doing. (Which I'm really not sure I do know) So any help from others who have built Mamoli kits would be so much appreciated.

Attached are some initial photos of the kit. 

So let the adventure begin...…...

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

its a seams strange scale size,@1/54, I wish you luck in the build and hope you get your eyes sorted soon

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thank you Kevin, and yes I agree, 1:54 is very unusual. I'm not sure how or why they came up with it.

I made some progress today, I was able to get the bulkheads and false deck shimmed, trimmed and dry fitted. My worry at the moment is with the drawings, specifically the parts sheet. I'm not sure if its for reference only or if the bulkheads should fit in the lines. If they are to fit in the lines then I'm in for a lot of reworking. I aligned all the bulkheads using the center groove. I've tried to show the discrepancy's in some photos. 

Sorry about the camera work, I think my autofocus is going bad.

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

Edited by kscadman

I have found that the bulkhead plan drawings are for reference only. I used the center of the top of the slot in each bulkhead as a centerpoint. from there I made perpendicular lines to set my base. Then I took measurements at all major points on each bulkhead and found that all my bulkheads are even and symmetrical. 

Now I feel comfortable enough to start gluing the bulkheads.IMG_0396.thumb.JPG.165cd5e63073e40c51e9357d9f384683.JPG

I've glued the bulkheads and false deck to the keel after some sanding to fare up the small bits and remove the charring. Also I noticed that some of the keel was interfering with the hole for the mast so I trimmed the slots on the false deck so it cleared the keel and aligned it with bulkhead 11 toward the stern.

I used the "lego" method to square the bulkheads and it worked very well. I would recommend it to anyone. But I did use my square to double check and found it to be correct. Wow, all that money I spent on my son is coming back to reward me.

I've test fitted the fill pieces and was surprised how well they fit. Hardly any sanding was needed.

Just for comparison I put my Syren next to it and realized just ho large this ship will be.

Richard

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Edited by kscadman

I've finished gluing all the bulkheads and filler pieces in place. So far the build has been enjoyable. I'm really liking this kit.

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

Edited by kscadman

Good to see another mamoli build. These are good builds.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks Scott, it's my first Mamoli kit.

I have a question for you if you don't mind me asking. I noticed that there is no mention of cutting a rabbit or creating bearding at the stern. Is it needed for a double planked hull?

Thanks, Richard 

Edited by kscadman

Some work has been accomplished today. I fitted and glued the fore deck and bulkhead and cut and fitted the 6 beams for the other decks. Now I just need to put the camber into them and glue them in place.

Currently I'm trying to identify the woods I have in the kit. I've found the color chart on the inside of the box top and also the initials in the instructions calling out the different types. But as I look at the wood it looks like I'm missing the type called out for the deck planking. As I look at the photo on the box, it doesn't seem like the same. My lack of identifying wood types is making it difficult. I've attached pictures of the woods that are .5mm x 5mm. 

Thanks, Richard

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

Edited by kscadman

• 2 weeks later...

I've started planking the main deck and cambering the beams for the upper decks. I went with a three plank shift. I wasn't quite sure what the correct way of doing it was, so I settled on the 3 plank. I looked at the drawings and there was no organized shift, it seemed random.

Now the question..... do I treenail the exposed sections of the deck??

Richard

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG