Hello to all in MSW

Hello to all,
This is something l have wanted to tackle for a long time now, l started building Airfix models as a child (most weekends and holiday's) but by the age of 15 life overtook and no other models were produced from my bedroom workshop.
I dabbled again when my son developed an interest and indeed when it was my Grandson turn. Sadly neither were hooked as l was. Now, in retirement, l find myself with time on hand and a desire to get glue under my nails for a final time. I have never attempted a wooden ship so l hope l will be able to learn from you experienced builders.
Best wishes to all.
The Lazy Saint.

PSX_20190624_192433.jpg

Edited by The Lazy Saint
Better title

Welcome aboard Saint

Now you can consider yourself to be extremely time poor. A model ship or 2

can occupy you for years.

Have a look through the forum topics for inspiration of what to build and

what to start off with. Start a build log when you have decided.

Hooroo Chris

Thanks for the welcome Chris, l read with interest "For beginners, a cautionary tale" and must admit l had visions of a 1/80 scale Victory, but have subsequently modified my aspirations. 

I think l will start with a cross section model as this will help me adapt from plastic to wood and help to foster some woodworking skills. (Without having the worry of planking)

Any thoughts on this?

Best wishes as always. 

The Lazy Saint.

Thanks saint, but I have no real knowledge of sailing ships, kits ect.

Start small as you suggest, I don't know if you can get a cross section kit.

Probably best to have a look through the manufacturers kits on the right hand side of main page and see whats available.

Others will chime in and make suggestions, there have been forum topics on this subject but I'm

not sure where they are.

Cheers Chris

Hi Saint,

Welcome to MSW.  There are some kit cross-sections and given they're kits there's various levels of qualtiy, etc.  In the kit area is a pinned post for the Quick Find Index.  This should help with your decision.  Once you locate a kit you like, search the Index and see what others have done, what problems they've had, and what the results were.  

I'll also add, do a build log.  It's the best way to get help and also make a few friends.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, JToma said:

Hell and welcome

Jeff, he's a saint, you shouldn't swear at him.

;)

Welcome to MSW!

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW and greetings from Belgium.

Good luck with your first build.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum