Does anyone know what this object is? The “N” and other markings stamped on it has led me to believe it is naval in origin, but that’s a guess. It’s thick oak, with a brass plate on one side, and is approximately 11 1/2” square. I would be very grateful if someone would identify it, and solve a mystery for me...

CC1967B6-105B-4BD8-9F1F-2F197462325C.thumb.jpeg.899d4ae05567d69baeeebef5a08fff5a.jpeg711ABFE2-750B-484F-887C-54341F219C0E.thumb.jpeg.40df332f62ec36c08b59aab1d858570f.jpeg40EDBE68-9321-402C-9687-2CB9747CAD3B.thumb.jpeg.e019a341956a87bdea72e6b85823272e.jpeg

looks like an ancient cup holder 🙂

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

I would assume (and we know about what happens when we "assume") that the 1929 is a date.  If the date is right, not a shot garland like we think for ball shot.  Are the "holes" tapered?   Can't tell from the photos.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with your summation Hallibag as to it being from the Arsenal - Carriage Department.  The Rod stamped on it may indicate a proofing device for some of the rods used in the the carriage (1926)? The attached may have something as there are 3 parts - Army, Coastal Defense and Naval gun Carriages discussed.  I have only perused the Naval section (Part 3) at the moment and do not recall seeing it, but....

cheers

Pat

Treatise_on_military_carriages_ W Kemmis 1974.pdf

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1926, breach loader days. Device to hold ready service cartridges, dropped in and stopped by the cartridge rim. Hole in the center used as a holder so the holding plate could be removed and replaced by a different caliber if the Ammo Cart was used for a different sized gun. Don't know, pure speculation. Maybe some evidence of compression on the bottom of the small hole, it may have been set on top of a cylinder and secured, Possible compression showing on the brass plate around the large holes. Hope someone with better research skills can solve the mystery.

From what I have been able to find, looking in the Royal Navel Handbook of Field Training 1926, the MK II Carriage Land Service was used for the MK I Howitzer.  However, that is a 6 inch diameter shell so they would not be fitting into those holes

Regards

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

On 8/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, BANYAN said:

The attached may have something as there are 3 parts - Army, Coastal Defense and Naval gun Carriages discussed.  I have only perused the Naval section (Part 3) at the moment and do not recall seeing it, but....

cheers

Pat

Treatise_on_military_carriages_ W Kemmis 1974.pdf 15.65 MB · 1 download

Thank you for this. I will give the Treatise a careful examination!