Greetings from Pennsylvania

Goop Doopis

Hello Goop doopis, 

I am fairly new to wooden model boats, but by what I've learned so far some of the manufacturers especially from Europe don't supply really good instructions, so leaving the new modeler slightly confused and frustrated. Apparently Model Shipways provide good quality kits with understandable instructions. As to how historically accurate they are, you should wait for a member with more experience to tell you. 

Mike

I suggest you look at Lauck  Street Shipyard.  The owner, Bob, provides instructional courses for building for beginners to experts.  If you buy his course, you get incredibly detailed instructions for whichever of his ships you choose, and he has a lot.  Note that you have to buy your own kit, but $100 for one of his beginners courses is an investment you won't regret.

I have been a customer for many years, and no, I'm not related, don't  work for him, and have never met him.  He runs a good business and provides great service.  If nothing else go to his site (Google it) and look around.  You willl be amazed.

Model Shipways is a good starting point.  They will replace any part for any reason, your fault or theirs.

The Model Shipways Sultana was my first real ship model. I really enjoyed building it. 

I’ve heard really good things about Bluejacket too, but I’ve never built any of their kits.  

The gentleman who runs it, his username is Mr. Bluejacket (real name Nic), is on this forum.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Gidday and another warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

If you have a period or type of ship in mind I would suggest a search of the build logs.

If you have nothing in mind I would still look at the build logs to determine what is entailed.

In my humble opinion a lot of kits are not historically accurate but are comprised of several ships or a lot of artistic license.

An analogy from another of my hobbies, "Some fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish".

The above can also be said of some model kits. Personally a choice is influenced by what I like, i.e. the lines, complexity and budget.

If I didn't like the ship I would not be motivated enough to finish it.

I hope I have not confused the issue.

I wish you all the best in your selection.

Mark.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi,

I'm from PA myself. I think that any of the name brand kits can work for you as long as you're willing to modify things as necessary. I think if you're wanting to build any of the "kits" the way they come supplied, you will soon get disappointed and either give up or guess what, you'll start modifying! So my advice would be find something you like and do whatever it takes. It works for me.  It will be historically accurate when YOU make it that way. Remember, no limitations on time but do TONS of research.

Good Luck