Enterprise 1799 by Rowboat - FINISHED - Constructo - Scale 1:51

@Valito

Check out mikiek's build, first page. He does a good job of showing pics on how he constructed the hull.

I use his build log to assist in my work.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18090-enterprise-1799-by-mikiek-constructo-151/

Current Build:

Enterprise Maryland 1799 Scale 1:51 Constrco

Previous Build:

Baltimore Clipper - Dos Amigos

The making of the first shroud image.gif.9c526c8a73bd74eec431777fb92d4b5a.gif
First I measured the distance to each block and tackle side, then I added another 6 inches of line just for good measures. I'm using 1 pieces of line that will tie off on both sides of the ship.

DSC01709.JPG

Started the frapping process,

DSC01710.JPG

and done!
DSC01713.JPG

Snugged up the frap line to close the loop a little more.

DSC01715.JPG

Test fitted it over the mast

DSC01717.JPG

Continued the process ..
DSC01718.JPG

Only 2 more to go for the foremast.
The shrouds are not glued down yet, as well the foremast is not either.

Did the same thing for the main mast..

Next up, tie on the deadeyes and attach to the hull.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

In better trying to understand where all the standing rigging lines go I looked at a number of images, online and in my books.
Some lines were tied off to eyebolts, but I did not previously see any instructions on placing the eyebolts in the build instructions.

Upon closer reading I found that the schematic used "small rectangles" to designate where an eyebolt should go. Look closely and see if you can find those areas...
DSC01721.thumb.JPG.461a37125e3d6fb3d6607988acfb5e8c.JPG

Anyway, I went back and drilled all the holes, made some eyebolts and glued them in.

Working through where all the standing rigging ties off and almost have it figured out.
For newbies (see myself) I recommend that you have a good understanding of where the lines run and what they are used for BEFORE cutting, running and tying off the lines. I've been at it a week or two and I now understand where/how the standing riggings (for this model) are used.

I want to test run all the lines to see if I have enough standing rigging line or if I need to order more.

That's it for now.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

13 minutes ago, Rowboat said:

Upon closer reading I found that the schematic used "small rectangles" to designate where an eyebolt should go. Look closely and see if you can find those areas...

This is typical for plans found in kits -- something to take note of. Looking for them in inboard profiles can also help.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Rowboat. I like the 2 tone hull. It adds a lot of interest.

Different plans have different ways of depicting parts. As you have noticed eyebolts are rectangles here whereas on other plans they may be circles.

Good plan in getting to know your lines and know what they do. The running rigging will be interesting because in most cases they should actually work - like hoisting a sail or adjusting a yard.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Starting to connect the shrouds.

First I copied the drawing of the starboard shrouds to use for measurements.

Then I cut out the holes for the top deadeyes to help with alignment.

DSC01722.thumb.JPG.02382192fa07792a0185007b826559bc.JPG

DSC01723.thumb.JPG.75f7de9216ff298d6c34ec58786f0a7e.JPG

Used the back side of the drawing for the port side.

DSC01725.thumb.JPG.8075917087a03cece3549922367c5f21.JPG

As I started adding the shrouds I realized I forgot to make the holes for the stanchions.

I drilled and tested, no gluing yet. Seems like someone mentioned to wait on the gluing.

DSC01726.thumb.JPG.79c1561081cdeeded71d44bd79dd756d.JPG

First shroud and deadeye tieoff was a bit unnerving to do, having the drawing for placement really helped out.

Only did 2 a day.

Still need more practice on "frapping" the shrouds.

DSC01727.thumb.JPG.51a762aab3f82767e1ad95711b488523.JPG

Next up is to finish the standing rigging on the fore mast.

DSC01728.JPG

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Spent a lot of time on where all the fore mast standing rigging lines tie off.

Once I had confidence in the placement I began.

Here is the 2 fore back stay lines rigged.

DSC01807.thumb.JPG.ba7b8e4a0055ee3f22fb15d2a03981a2.JPG

From another angle.

DSC01802.thumb.JPG.7778cd7155e01b4c94381876b63bf813.JPG

Initially I thought the lines would tie off at a belaying pin.

However, there is not a pin near the blocks so I ended up wrapping the excess line around the tackle lines.

DSC01801.thumb.JPG.1b90dbf093f7fa553792790de987305d.JPG

Ran the fore stay and the jib stay lines next.

The 2 lines on the right are those stays. I tied a line around those two lines at the fore mast (it runs straight up the fore mast), it will pull the 2 stay lines off the back of the shroud lines.

DSC01806.thumb.JPG.91b0a0aeb6e2b19d1a7e5d74c40166b9.JPG

Here's a better picture showing the line pulled taught.

DSC01800.thumb.JPG.c014ac7ba89e9ac7b9af01f6e58d829c.JPG

I next added the flying jib and the top fore mast rigging lines.

I show here where the fore stay, jib stay, flying jib stay and the top fore mast stay all tie off to the bow spirit.

DSC01799.thumb.JPG.92f87ae7bd5971ba2d8cbf1c355c1fe8.JPG

Some pics showing them all connected. I have the main mast placed but not glued.

DSC01796.thumb.JPG.73f9babb4f8461deafbb5b02157b5216.JPG

DSC01795.thumb.JPG.22e3d5a304089aff2edd3ec05cc0e825.JPG

I need to do a better job with the pictures. Flash kept going off and I was to lazy to turn it off.

Also taking these entire ship pictures is challenging, either to far away and details don't show or to close and the masts get cut off.

I did not realize that in taking on ship model building I would also need to up my photography skills :)

Having the fore mast standing rigging completed is very a satisfying feeling.

I actually look forward to rigging the main mast !

But then there's those ratlines ........

Current Build:

Previous Build:

A good start Rowboat. And as for the stanchions and netting - definitely wait. It will really be in the way otherwise. The frapping you did for the guns is called seizing (pronounced sizing) when you do it for things like blocks, lines, deadeyes, etc. As a suggestion for your next build, you might consider a smaller dimension rope for a lot of the seizing. I actually use flyline. It's a scale thing. When you consider that the seizing was done by hand often using rope carried in a belt pouch, it would be a lot smaller than the rope being seized. I did a tutorial on an easy way to seize, I'll try to find it for you.

Photographing your work is a lot harder than doing the work.  I always say a good photo can make a mediocre build look great. A bad photo can make the best build look awful.

Stay with it...

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, mikiek said:

A good start Rowboat. And as for the stanchions and netting - definitely wait. It will really be in the way otherwise. The frapping you did for the guns is called seizing (pronounced sizing) when you do it for things like blocks, lines, deadeyes, etc. As a suggestion for your next build, you might consider a smaller dimension rope for a lot of the seizing. I actually use flyline. It's a scale thing. When you consider that the seizing was done by hand often using rope carried in a belt pouch, it would be a lot smaller than the rope being seized. I did a tutorial on an easy way to seize, I'll try to find it for you.

Photographing your work is a lot harder than doing the work.  I always say a good photo can make a mediocre build look great. A bad photo can make the best build look awful.

Stay with it...

Mikiek ,

Great suggestion to go with smaller wrapping line.

I used .88mm for the shrouds and .45mm for the wrappings.

I think one issue is that I use bees wax on both lines. Later when I complete the wrappings and snug them tight this causes the bees wax to squeeze down into the wrapping line. I think this is one reason why the wrapping lines look as big as the shroud line.

Not to appealing a look but I'm learning on this build so acceptable until I find a better solution, like using even smaller wrapping line (lol).

Current Build:

Previous Build:

FYI,

Although bathroom remodel is completed I took on the remodel of the backyard.

That job is taking time away from my ship modeling :( . 

Almost done with the standing lines on the ship, except for the ratlines, so there's that 😁

Current Build:

Previous Build:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 8:28 AM, Rowboat said:

Mikiek ,

Great suggestion to go with smaller wrapping line.

I used .88mm for the shrouds and .45mm for the wrappings.

I think one issue is that I use bees wax on both lines. Later when I complete the wrappings and snug them tight this causes the bees wax to squeeze down into the wrapping line. I think this is one reason why the wrapping lines look as big as the shroud line.

Not to appealing a look but I'm learning on this build so acceptable until I find a better solution, like using even smaller wrapping line (lol).

Wait till you try fly line 😉

Hi Rowboat,

This won't help much  -

I have tried before and after fixing yards.

Easier to fix ratlines first especially at the top of the shrouds. 

You really need access to both sides of the all the way up the shrouds so after suits me.

Both before and after are both difficult so  -  GOOD LUCK.

It's very easy to distort the shrouds as you fix the ropes going up the mast.

Sam.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, Rowboat said:

Should I do the yards before the ratlines?

Seems like ratlines could be put off till after installing and rigging the yards.

rats

1 minute ago, mikiek said:

rats

although be sure your yards have all the items like stirrups, footropes, etc.  - if the yards have parrels or something else to hold it to the mast tie one end to the yard and leave the other end be so that you can grab it with some tweezers and wrap around the mast and the other side of the yard - thats the only real tough thing with yards - the rats make it hard to get to stuff at the mast but thats about it

• 2 weeks later...

Did not have enough rope to make the rat lines so I ordered more.

As well, ran out of double blocks so added them to the order.

The shrouds are .88 mm so I'm thinking .40 mm or .30mm for the ratlines.

Also, even though mikiek warned me, I attached the main gaff and fore gaff before attaching any hardware. 😡

Don't know what I was thinking 😨.

Completely zoned out on that, probably just wanting to get something done on the model after spending the last 6 weeks remodeling the backyard.

I'll post some pictures of my errors, lol.

Edited by Rowboat

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Aww - we all do that once in a while. I used to insert masts then stick the yards to the masts with that adhesive gum stuff just to see what it all looked like. I would take pix and then then tear it all down.

Completed most of the standing rigging except for the ratlines. Waiting for some more rope.

Here's some pictures of my attempt at the gaffs.

20201203_093222.thumb.jpg.918d7070535c6edc44a5c0937a1b5cce.jpg

20201203_093230.thumb.jpg.d753d7e23e08918bf93c81c75f919f52.jpg

The observant eye will notice there is no hardware on the gaffs image.gif.e645136f05b8195d700700c9a871af3e.gif
So now I'm attempting to add the rigging hardware while the gaffs are mounted image.gif.41d465e8d6f2598f4e6a5599e641205d.gif.

Here are some pics of the making of the gaff jaws.
Not sure if it's the right way but it's what I did.
Basically made my own design, sanded it down and used it as a template.
DSC01819 (1).JPGDSC01823 (1).JPGDSC01822.JPG

It's been a while since I've posted anything,mainly because of the backyard remodel.
We are almost done so I though I would throw up a few pics of the before and after.
Not really related to model ship building but it is the reason I didn't get much done on the model image.gif.2c935563c35bf5e89bca400989b79d9e.gif.
This is a DIY project!
Before:

20201013_094639.thumb.jpg.65509d0f40063c35c81c5a802ee95780.jpg

After:
20201125_173050.thumb.jpg.3528faf2e5441b542966be68f05caba5.jpg

20201118_155626.jpg20201120_174123.jpg20201120_174423.jpg

20201120_174423.jpg

20201120_174123.jpg

DSC01821 (1).JPG

Edited by Rowboat

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Wow! Your remodel is amazing -- makes me want to come over and play.

One comment about your gaff jaws: The jaws should not have hooked ends that wrap around the mast; they should just be open like a letter "Y". Hooked ends would make the part rather difficult to afix to the mast.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Hey Rowboat - I was actually out working on E tonite and was thinking of you. You are almost to the point where you are going to have to make  another decision(s).  As you start to rig (running rig) you will hit a point where you have to start adding sails. The square sails don't fit into this decision but the fore/aft sails will for sure. Think about it - those sails are going to billow out on one side (hopefully). With all the rigging they pretty much have to stay running down the center of the boat but you will want them to look like they are filled. So one question will be what side of the the boat do I want to see the filled sails (billowing out). I guess that's the leeward side? Along with that comes - do I want to display the windward or leeward side of the boat (assuming the boat will display against a wall). Part of that may be decided by - which side of the boat do I think is the best to display? That may be decided by better planking, covering a big snafu or something else like that. So once you determine the display side, you have to figure out how those fore/aft sails should be set - windward or leeward. Once you start working with the sails you will need to shape them accordingly. There are many processes to do that so be sure you ask before you begin with them. The fore/aft sails have a lot less rigging but need a lot more shaping. The opposite is true of the square sails. I'm just rambling all this because it's better to have that worked out ahead of time.

I'll be taking some pics of where I am at on my E so check that thread in a few days. I am running into a few things that could help you out down the road.

Almost forgot. The plans for our boat show ratlines on the main shrouds running up to the main top. They DO NOT show rats running up the shrouds (just 2 ropes)  from the main top to the top of the upper mast. How the heck did the guys get to those upper sails? You may want to consider doing rats on those upper shrouds as well!

The yard looks great!

Thanks for the info mikiek.

I definitely want to display the side with the best planking and cannon view.

Would not have thought about the billowing sails issue so nice to know.

On my first ship I used wire to give the billow effect. Not perfect but they did the job.

Will do some research and see what alternatives there are.

Looking forward to your posts on your Enterprise, that log has helped me a lot.

Rowboat out.....

Current Build:

Previous Build:

I've finally started the "ratline-ing" of the shrouds.
Turns out it isn't as bad as I thought.

DSC01824.thumb.JPG.63f0983bb301ce7ffc6ec0582876ba12.JPGDSC01825.thumb.JPG.47a75215ce4f1cf6743f6046da43bd17.JPG

I'm using 0.40mm rope as the shrouds are 0.80mm.
I'm separating them by 10mm.

I only order 20foot of 0.40mm rope and I'm using 3 inches on each ratline.
There are 19 to 20 ratlines for each of the 4 shroud groups.

Calculated out that means I have no room for errors ..... and I make errors .

I do have a question: How do you tie off the starting knot, do you do a single knot, a double knot, or something else.
I started with the double knot but it looked to obtrusive.

So I switched to a single knot, however I'm concerned this knot will come apart later, even after gluing.

Are my concerns valid?

Current Build:

Previous Build:

44 minutes ago, Rowboat said:

I do have a question: How do you tie off the starting knot, do you do a single knot, a double knot, or something else.

There is a particular knot to use, but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. You should be able to find it, if you have any of the usual go-to rigging reference books. I can look it up when I get home if you're still in need of it at that time. Your knots should not come undone if you daub the ends with a bit of dilute white glue or fabric glue and let it dry before trimming. Also, you can create the proper sag by applying a bit of the same dilute glue to the rope and pressing lightly down on it with the end of a paint brush handle or thin dowel. It's looking good so far!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 2 weeks later...

Good day to all,

Some progress on the ship.

I've completed the ratlines and moved on to rigging the blocks for the yards.

One point I would make is that when rigging the ratlines putting a piece of white paper behind the shrouds helps in seeing the lines, especially when you get near the top.

I pulled off all the gaffs and attached the hardware, something I had forgot to do when tying them to the mast.

Not sure how I would forget something like that but I did. So, I paid the price and cut them out since it's easier to work on.

I also worked on the hardware for the yards.

The plans call for using 0.40mm wire to wrap the blocks but I do not like that look.

I went with using rope to tie all the blocks to the yards and gaffs.

I sanded down the gaff jaws so they didn't wrap around the masts, thus making it easier to put them on.

Question: When do you attach the sails? Before installing the gaffs and yards or after. Or is it in between, that is, install some without sails and put them on later?

DSC01826.thumb.JPG.c3958a4b70eee4bb5b16ccc2df6b918c.JPG

DSC01827.thumb.JPG.984884f175155c9f2c0cb41e2765e56f.JPG

Slow progress attaching each block using rope but I do like the look.

DSC01825 (1).JPG

DSC01825.JPG

Current Build:

Previous Build:

In my admittedly limited experience, I have always bent sails to yards before installing them. I imagine the job would be a bit of a nightmare to do afterwards.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I just realized why I asked the question: when to put sails on.

My first build was a simpler model ship and the sails were glued on at the end of the build.

I don't remember there being any running rigging.

Knowing that, I will definitely attach the sails before installing.

Current Build:

Previous Build: