Harbour Tug Boat by Richmond - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC - 1:108

Here is my current 'ship' model - the Revell Harbour Tug  - this will be out of box build.

This is a very old kit - the mould has seen better days - tonnes of flash and very little fine detail - how far we have progressed!

I did find some history on these tugs sometime back when I first purchased the kit but for the life cannot locate it again. I believe they were built by /for the US Navy and some several hundred were built. There are photographs on the www of these still in service. 

IMG_0114.thumb.JPG.e6af00650a9f4c37bf9c699a11aef43b.JPG

Main paint work is a mixture of Tamiya & Mr Colour /  Levelling Thinner 50/50

Hand painting for fine details is generally Citadel with a some Tamiya /Retarder - the Citadel is superior to the Tamiya retarder method. Personally I do not recommend using Tamiya /Mr Colour for hand painting.

Weathering is through a pin wash - Tamiya Accent brown.

Glazed openings are with Deluxe Materials Glue and Glaze - I find this easier to use than the Microscale product as it comes with its won applicator.

I have progressed significantly - really its just a case of gluing he parts together.

The problem I find with these non naval ships is the multi coloured paint schemes - a lot needs to be painted before they are glued and then you run into issues when you glue the parts together and of course filling. 

So we have the classic two tone hull - I forego the white stripe - I tried and it was a disaster - too much bleed - Kurts recent article in the NRJ (Aug) will I am sure prove to be invaluable for future masking work.

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.babedb705dd6648d1d040e93e4d93036.JPG

Here are some close ups of the lower cabin showing some of the finer hand painting detail work with the Citadel paints. You should make out the pin wash as well

IMG_0106.thumb.JPG.d6ac8b026b63a6eb007889db706faa0d.JPG

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.44c9a264ea8a12740099e38fb4a180b3.JPG

Here is the funnel - this was tricky with 3 different colours of stripes

IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.d4819653bf3c8bbf3a9ecbc72d488b68.JPG

And finally the upper cabin - this hasn't been weathered yet - some of the glazing on the larger openings leaves a bit to be desired.

IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.39a805b9d5d846b3a4263866e0fb89af.JPG

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

Yes, I think it a rebox of the 60s kit below - there have been several reboxes  since then - the current one is 2001 (I believe)  - its a shame they didn't change the mould !

If I had noticed this before I would have gone with the same colour scheme - I like the yellow funnel and the two tone lower cabin,

image.png.921d84d18a23af09aca4849bc177b45b.png

Current Builds

If you change the funnel to black and add a big white "M" you would have something close to the colors of a Moran tug out of New York. If you were able to change the the red and white with yellow color you would be using the colors of the Wilmington Transportation Company out of San Pedro California. I am not certain, but I think the real "Long Beach" or her sister the "Los Angeles" has been restored somewhere.

I think these tugs were mostly US Army ST tugs with some also going to the Navy. Many of them were bought up at the end of the war by private companies as being surplus they could be bought for pennies on the dollar. I am pretty certain you could come up with plenty of color schemes for these tugs with just a little looking around.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi Richmond, another build off to a great start.   I look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

A weekend update

No major dramas to report other than poor fitting problems as you will note with the upper deck modules - I probably will not attend to these given the multi colour nature of the paintwork. 

I may try some weathering

Really I just want to put to this to bed and move onto something else (i.e. a modern kit!)

One thing I did do was pre-drill all the decks ready for rigging - I will go into more detail when I reach the rigging stage

IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.2728378deae867adf5f9e36b0d32fc6a.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Nice work Richmond, looks great!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)