odd number of deadeyes per side

i may be being a bit  daft here but ive looked through the literature i have and cant see an obviuos answer so , perhaps someone can give me some advice ?  its my first build and im in the process of making up the lower shrouds on  my hms  victory kit , now the instructions are vague at best so im getting some tips from the rigging books which i have bought , which describe doing the shrouds in pairs on alternate sides from front to rear , now  the main mast has 11 large deadeyes on each side , so i cant make a pair from the last one , any ideas please?

Basically, with odd numbers, the first shroud pair to go on goes up one side, splits with a cut splice over the mast head, and then down the other side. The rest go on in pairs to the same side alternately, starboard pair first, then port, etc.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Instead of a splice, the single one may also be just lashed together as the double one: each side reaches over to other side, together forming a loop. The correct method would need to checked in period reference books.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Interesting. I would have thought that the double-shrouds would weigh down on the single ones and through friction secure them additionally, thus taking some of the strain from the lashings (which, incidentally would be double or triple, as for the lower end around dead-eyes).

wefalck

Of the single shrouds, one would go around the front of the mast and the other around the back.

It would be the art of the rigger and the mate/officer in charge to make sure that all shrouds are set in a way that they take up the strain relatively evenly distributed.

wefalck

You may want to check Longridge's Anatomy of Nelson's ships as he shows quite detailed of the shrouds.   I am traveling with no access to my books so cannot speak of Victory's time period, but for earlier periods, the order of dressing as given by Lees is  Pendant of the tackles, shrouds, swifter (this is the aft most unpaired shroud with deadeyes)  and stay.  He also describes use of an eye as mentioned by Wefalck, but again, it may not be contemporary to Victory.  The swifter did not receive ratlines in earlier periods but I don't know if that is the case for Victory.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU