Advice on work station setup

I'm New at modeling and would like to see photos of other builder's work stations so that I can get an idea on some good ways to set things up. My first building project is about to start.  I'll be setting up in a room where I don't have to move my operations around, And photos or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Paul,

I highly recommend this thread (started in 2013 and still going) where people post photos of their workstations and otherwise discuss the topic. My workspace is a ~3'x4' table in a corner of my small living room, which has been sufficient for all my various models. I have a few power tools in the garage that I use occasionally for certain things, but the vast majority of my actual modelling happens at that table, using simple hand tools.

I think the best thing I've done is to develop an organizational system that lets me store a lot of stuff in a small space and find it easily. This includes a vertical wood-strip holder (made of PVC lengths glued together), a similar unit for tools that's mounted on a simple turntable, and a plastic storage unit with lots of little boxes for all sorts of small parts.

Most folks would likely agree that a good source of light is key. Ventilation can also be important, as even raw sawdust can be pretty irritating and even dangerous, much less paint fumes or dust with paint/glue in it. If I'm doing more than light, raw wood sanding, I take it to the garage or outdoors and/or wear a mask. I also make a point of emphasizing benign materials like wood glue and water-based paints, as those are less toxic and irritating, especially given my living room location.

Have fun getting started!

This is a setup I built many years ago, following an article in an old magazine "Family Handyman" . This workbench is about 8 feet long, permanently screwed on into the wall so it hungs above the floor and therefore doesn't have any legs, so it is easier to sweep the dirt underneath it. It has its own light sources (fluorescent tubes), a dust extraction system for your power tools and three (originally four - in the article) drawers for your loose stuff/tools and/or materials.

I built only three sections (limited space), although the article shows you how to build a four sections' unit. Everything is obtainable in Home Depot or similar home centers. But, in order to build it, you must have at least basic hand/power tools, eg. full size table saw/circular saw, power drill, hammer, and so on.

If you want the entire article with plans, I could find it in my junk, scan the pages and send them to you.

Happy New Year!

Thomas

workbenchfinished.jpg

Edited by Dziadeczek

Lighting, dust collection, and space for accumulation of tools, kits, etc. are important, especially if you’re going to be making your own parts.  First I started on my kitchen table and ottoman.   With all the tools, etc. I’ve gotten, I nowhave a more dedicated space with better lighting, dust collection, a work table, etc.

One tip - if you’re going to buy power tools, make sure you know the feed/exit run space you will need.  Some tools like the table saw and thickness sander can’t be put against a wall.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)