Mary Ann by laps - Billing Boats - scale 1:33

I think I got the right shape of stern now. I have build up layers of filler and then sanded to shape. Test fitting the cap rail pieces, it seems to be ok. However, this creates a new issue that needs to be solved. The top of the stern bulwark is now to thick to be covered by the cap rail. The top part of the keel pieces is a bit to bulky anyway, so I have started to cut this back a bit. It's  a bit awkward but I don't want to rush this and risk damaging the bulwark. 

IMG_0705.JPG.6fc54c0abedae9494431b724576d8dd6.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG.3413bd303130b545dccc25d23e758cf6.JPG

I have also started to remove the top of the frames (the plywood is to ugly and bulky, I think) and fill some gaps between the deck and the bulwarks. I consider painting the waterways brownish red and the bulwark themselves the same color as the hull. Painting is easier with the top of frames out of the way. I will add the new bulwark supports once the bulwark etc. have been painted. Also, I need to cut holes for the scuppers. I believe there are 3 on each side. The gates for these will also be added after painting. 

So, the sanding and filling continues.

/Lars Peter

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build: Amerigo Vespucci 1:84 (Panart)

Current build: BB Mary Ann 1:33
Finished: BB Jylland 1:100
Finished: Church ship Danmark 1:75 (restoration project)

Scuppers and rear deck

I have cut holes in the bulwarks for the scuppers - 3 on each side - and added the scupper gates (is that the name?)

IMG_0707.JPG.59bb0d1c5ee02b6f41a35ee7d08c0ae6.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG.57debafcea10b77cef29ca733dcab3db.JPG

Also, I have added a piece of plywood at the stern deck to act as foundation for the slightly raised stern deck planking.

IMG_0709.JPG.7d1b3f3dd056e34c35ba217a91e2f2f7.JPG

Right now I'm trying to figure out how arrangement at the bow for the anchor pulley should work. It is not easy to see from the instruction how this should look exactly, so I will have to use my imagination a bit.

Skrmbillede2024-03-21181611.jpg.aee4378dcd2bcc4cb5c89f0d053a639b.jpg

So far, I have added the pulley support closest to the keel piece. Before I cut a hole in the bulwarks I'm going to reinforce the bulwark with layers of wooden strips of different widths, sand to shape and then cut the hole - hopefully without distorting the bulwarks.

Still need to add the bulwarks support pieces.

/Lars Peter

Hi Lars Peter,

Boy, this model sure brings back some memories for me. It is the first wood model I built waaaay back when. I'm glad I ran across your build log. I took some pictures of my model where you have some concern and I hope that it helps some.

IMG_0111.thumb.jpg.6e8751598653a6042e8bbae53a611583.jpgIMG_0112.thumb.jpg.a06d124b4962dbee65b4d761bc41bedd.jpg

As you can seem my model has a little wear and tear after 40+ years. But I still have it proudly displayed in my home. All the best with your Mary Ann and I will follow along.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

1 hour ago, petervisser said:

Hi Lars Peter,

Boy, this model sure brings back some memories for me. It is the first wood model I built waaaay back when. I'm glad I ran across your build log. I took some pictures of my model where you have some concern and I hope that it helps some.

IMG_0111.thumb.jpg.6e8751598653a6042e8bbae53a611583.jpgIMG_0112.thumb.jpg.a06d124b4962dbee65b4d761bc41bedd.jpg

As you can seem my model has a little wear and tear after 40+ years. But I still have it proudly displayed in my home. All the best with your Mary Ann and I will follow along.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the pictures - very nice model. I think it makes sense now what I need to do.

My model is about the same age as your. It has just been hiding in box for a while before it was given to me. 

Funny though, I have seen many finished versions of the Mary Ann, and every model seems to be different. Mine is no exception.

Kr

Lars Peter

Anchor pulley system

I've been working on the bow making room for the anchor pulley system. The bulwarks were build up using layers of wood strips and some sanding to shape. 

I cut the bulwarks to make room for the pulley system. Everything is just dry fitted for now.

IMG_0710.JPG.b598b117e8ede754aafe7c40a365380c.JPG

Now I can see the final shape of the bulwarks reinforcement. This I can build up with putty. After some final sanding I need to glue the pulley support into place without the pulley, I need to paint the bulwarks before I can put the pulley into place as this needs to be a different color. 

More to follow.

/Lars Peter

very nice build Lars Peter,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Niels. I have seen your restored Hjejlen. I have a very old kit in my stash which I will probably start when I finish Mary Ann. 

Nevertheless, Mary Ann is progressing well. I'm at stage where I have added the first paint to the model. 

Following up on the anchor pulley system, I now feel I have the correct shape. I cut out one of the cap rails (which I will not use) and use that to get the final shape. I tried to take a photo of this but it doesn't show much besides the previous pictures. 

I added the rudder as per kit instructions - two pieces of plywood glued together. The instructions doesn't mention anything about tapering the rudder, but I sanded it to half thickness at the rear. Also, the hole for the prop shaft was drilled. The shaft points downwards a bit which it should.

IMG_0717.JPG.3895ab4cb3526140aaaff26d7533acff.JPG

The last to be done on the outside of the hull was to fit some vertical reinforcement strips to protect the hull when hoisting the trawl scoops on board. 

IMG_0718.JPG.43d6cfe07139c84ea65ecb101c553c9d.JPGIMG_0719.JPG.fe91ccca2b4f76f4eae6ec9f0eb67ed7.JPG

The last picture just shows the painted inside of the bulwarks. I'm using Vallejo acrylic - but still learning. It took a while as I didn't thin the paint before airbrushing. In hindsight that would have been preferred, but I didn't have distilled water for thinning.

IMG_0721.thumb.JPG.51030f6c406bc35f6b26fb78461171b0.JPG

I've been debating whether to paint the outside of the hull before I do the deck planking. I will do the the deck planking first so I don't have the risk of damaging the paint. Also, I have not been able to find the right color in acrylic so I will stick with the old an trusted Humbrol enamel for the upper part of the hull. 

I have started with the small raised section of the deck at the stern. The provided mahogany strips are of very good quality but too wide scale-wise (5 mm). But I will use them anyway. I use a permanent marker on the sides and glue them on with super glue. The glue makes the ink bleed a bit if I'm not careful - so I am careful 🙂

/Lars Peter

Planking the deck

I've made a slow start on the deck planking. I started with the raised platform at the stern as per kit instructions. On the main deck I intend to plank around the wheel house, deck hatch and various items. This is a bit tricky as I don't have a scale plan. I tried to establish some reference points and then work from that, starting with positioning of the wheel house. I glued some temporary blocks to the deck to get the exact position. My intention is then to place the deck planks around starting aft and then moving forward. It is a bit tricky but the advantage is that any gaps where the deck items doesn't sit completely flat on the deck will be hidden if the gaps are less than 0.5 mm.  I have now planked behind the wheelhouse. I can then remove the forward location block and start again from the middle and working my way forward  and outwards. I have marked the waterways at one side and will mark it with masking tape to establish the outer side of the decking. We'll see how it goes. 

IMG_0722.JPG.0d062a6c0282ffcddfbf46fb13b0918a.JPG

/Lars Peter

Deck planking complete

I just completed planking the deck of Mary Ann. I used the kit supplied mahogany strips for this. They are 5 mm wide and probably a tad too wide scale-wise. I decided to plank around the various structures on the deck that give access below deck. Also, this hides any gaps. For example, I found it quite difficult to make the wheel house sit flush with deck because of the curvature of the deck. 

Caulking was simulated with a black marker pen on both sides of the planks. I then sanded the deck with 240 grit and gave it a coat of satin varnish (not quite dry when I took the photos). 

IMG_0727.JPG.8c42c34008bc60ce0789865a97d97b19.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG.3149cc5130d29e7199a5bbacbf7be00c.JPG

What's next?

I want to completely mask of the deck and paint the waterways and bulwarks again - this time with proper thinning of the paint.

I manage to make quite a few scratches to the paint while trimming the deck.

Once this is done, I believe it is time to paint the outside of the hull. I have ordered some more paint as I was not quite happy with sky blue Vallejo - too blue 🙂

It is Humbrol duck egg blue + white (50/50) -  at least I'll give it a try.

So, hopefully I'll find the color I like.

/Lars Peter

Base plate

I made a simple base for Mary Ann. It's amazing what a piece f wood thrown out by somebody else can turn into. Walnut is fairly nice but crazy expensive to buy in Denmark as it has to be imported from North America. 

Don't mind the third hole - that was caused by Mr Boozo. It will be covered by the pedestal mount 🙂

IMG_0729.JPG.42963a88a9389e1ebe57d31ab02322b4.JPG

I re-painted the inside of the bulwarks and I'm now ready to give the outside of the hull some primer - and then color.

/Lars Peter