I need to clear out some space in my small modeling area so I am considering selling a couple of kits to help out with that. I've never sold anything online before and I have a few questions about how to do it for those of you who have done so successfully.

How do you calculate the shipping cost? Do you communicate by PM with the potential buyer and then box everything up and get an estimate from the shipper and then get get back to the buyer? Is there a way to calculate the shipping cost online or do you need to go into the post office to get that done? 

I have a PayPal account and I presume that using it would be the best way to receive payments. Do you wait until you receive the full payment before you ship the item out? 

Any other advice about selling here on MSW that I haven't thought of would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

16 minutes ago, BobG said:

How do calculate the shipping cost?

I determine the size box something needs and the total weight of the package. With this you can estimate postage on the USPS website (or shipper of choice).

For international shipments you simply calculate once a buyer has expressed interest (and if your comfortable shipping to the location). 

18 minutes ago, BobG said:

Do you wait until you receive the full payment before you ship the item out? 

I use PayPal and would always expect payment before shipping an item. I would be very suspect of anyone wanted me to ship an item prior to payment. 

20 minutes ago, BobG said:

Any other advice about selling here on MSW that I haven't thought of would be appreciated.

I would recommend always using goods and services as the payment type on PayPal. I also prefer to list prices including shipping (but that’s a personal preference). I also usually look at a users post history on whatever platform I’m selling if possible to minimize my risk. Good luck!

Bob:

First show clear, sharp photographs of the kit in this area.  Both the unopened box (so it can be shown it's not crushed, water damaged, etc.) and the contents laid out so one can see what's included.  Show several photos to clearly show the condition of the parts.  Be sure to indicate if anything is missing or started.   As to be contacted by PM - not here in the topic area.  Keep all dealing off the public pages.

You need to weigh the package as it will be shipped so you can calculate a price.  The USPS web site  https://postcalc.usps.com/  can give you exact costs when you have the weight, the size of the package and where it is going.  It's best to tell the purchaser that shipping will be at cost added to the purchase price.  Once you know where it's going and the dimensions and weight you can give the purchaser the total.  They then send you the $$ via PayPal.  When you get the payment from PayPal ship the package ASAP.  PayPal is real good to use because it protects both the buyer and seller - if you don't ship the product the money isn't released to you the seller.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

10 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I would recommend always using goods and services as the payment type on PayPal. I also prefer to list prices including shipping (but that’s a personal preference).

First of all, thanks very much for the information.

I'm not sure what "using goods and services as the payment type" is on PayPal? I just looked at my account and didn't see anything like that...? Also, how do you calculate the shipping cost before you know the shipping address of where the item would be going to? Wouldn't I need to do that calculation after I know the shipping destination?

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, BobG said:

I'm not sure what "using goods and services as the payment type" is on PayPal?

after I wrote the below it seemed confusing when I re-read it, but hopefully it makes some sense.

When you go to actually send a payment there are two options. The payment is either send for the purchase of goods/services or sending money as a gift. A goods/service payment costs the recipient of the funds ~3%, but it protects the purchase to a certain extent. A gift payment costs the sender ~3% but there is no protection on the payment (it’s a gift with no expectations). There is sometimes a desire for a seller to save that 3%, but in my opinion it makes the seller look risky (and simply add the 3% into your price if you care).

1 hour ago, BobG said:

how do you calculate the shipping cost before you know the shipping address of where the item would be going to

From my experience, unless it’s going to Alaska/Hawaii or is very large/heavy the price doesn’t really fluctuate with the continental US. You could pick a zip code on the other side of the country and use it as a ballpark that should be close enough (or try several and see if it varies).

20 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

after I wrote the below it seemed confusing when I re-read it, but hopefully it makes some sense.

When you go to actually send a payment there are two options. The payment is either send for the purchase of goods/services or sending money as a gift. A goods/service payment costs the recipient of the funds ~3%, but it protects the purchase to a certain extent. A gift payment costs the sender ~3% but there is no protection on the payment (it’s a gift with no expectations). There is sometimes a desire for a seller to save that 3%, but in my opinion it makes the seller look risky (and simply add the 3% into your price if you care).

From my experience, unless it’s going to Alaska/Hawaii or is very large/heavy the price doesn’t really fluctuate with the continental US. You could pick a zip code on the other side of the country and use it as a ballpark that should be close enough (or try several and see if it varies).

Oh yes it does! If I ship an item from Florida to California, the cost of shipping almost doubles from west of the mason Dixon line or west of Texas. Example: I shipped a boat model from Florida To New York USPS (which was by far the cheapest than with UPS or FEDEX), the cost was $55.00 with $475.00 insurance, but had I shipped the same model to California, the cost would have been over $125.00, believe me, I checked and lost a sale due to the cost of the shipping, Arizona was $100.00 and that buyer backed out as well.  

20 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

This is extremely good advice.  One of the most common scams has to do with PayPal and the Gift transaction.   In order to protect yourself completely (in the eyes of PayPal) you must send and require a signature for delivery AND pay the fee.   

54 minutes ago, mtdoramike said:

I shipped a boat model

Was this built or unbuilt (simply curious for my own knowledge)? Built would definitely get into that “very large” category. I suppose some unbuilt kits boxes could qualify as well though. 

It was a built 1930's Mahogany Chris Craft R/C boat model. It was the latest one that I built and shipped. It was 36" in length. I'm curious to see what the shipping will be for the Dumas Typhoon I'm currently building. The same guy that bought this one also has shown interest in the Typhoon, which is like 41 inches in length.     

DSC00693.JPG