Bluenose by jamcdonel - Model Shipways - 1:64 - restart after long hiatus

Greetings! 

It is good to be back in the Shipyard! A long time ago (2009)in a city far, far away (Buffalo, NY) I started building the Model Shipways Bluenose using the Bob Hunt Practicum. Got the hull all planked, and I was really proud of my work. Had a really good build log going. Then life happened, and MSW crashed. The last couple weeks, thanks to a Coronavirus reduced work schedule, I have picked it back up. I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed this tiny intricate work.

I have started on the deck “furniture” beginning aft, and working forward. So far I have completed the cabin (with binacle, skylight, chimney and gangway) the helm, bitts and boom crutch. Currently I am working on the rudder, pintles and gudgeons, and the boom sheet buffer. I have several dories made, but really am not happy with the way they look. 

What I am REALLY bad at, is remembering to take pictures. Here is one snapped by my daughter last night while I was making ring bolts.

89E138C3-913F-4FEB-96C4-120E17C92D49.jpeg

Here are some of the “bits and bobs” I’ve been working on. 

Cabin, Binnacle, Skylight, Chimney, Wheelhouse, Bitts, and helmsman’s grating. (But not in that order.) My iPad photography leaves much to be desired, and I really need to have a painting party.

Currently working on Sheet Buffers, and Pintles and Gudgeons.

37DBF812-B9F2-4C4B-8773-6019FA3FFD1E.jpeg

9E2086D3-83BF-4AD2-B03A-B1CDEF574EAA.jpeg

F95EAC2F-24F8-44C4-B9B9-A6C2786E1978.jpeg

B31F878F-46C5-42A7-AE0B-97304D428448.jpeg

A441A191-0FE7-4721-8C61-5732D131665C.jpeg

36019CFC-9EFA-466A-9563-876243C9E03F.jpeg

C34ABC18-E9CA-4F95-BC8C-C46719484C73.jpeg

A question for the master craftsmen out there. I want to put some sober of frame/rim around the air ports on the cabin. I have little metal working capabilities, and mostly only hand tools, so something ready made or modifiable would work best. 

Thoughts?

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

1 hour ago, David Lester said:

Thanks David,

AOS had exactly what I needed.

Thanks guys, 

I am really enjoying my evenings, and look forward each day to “boat time”.

Does anyone have a suggestion for drilling holes in brass strip? I have a pin vice with numbered drills, and a Dremel with a few bits, but no drill press. 

Jim

37 minutes ago, jamcdonel said:

Thanks guys, 

I am really enjoying my evenings, and look forward each day to “boat time”.

Does anyone have a suggestion for drilling holes in brass strip? I have a pin vice with numbered drills, and a Dremel with a few bits, but no drill press. 

Jim

Hi Jim use your pin vice and put the drill in so that you do not have to much sticking out this way it won’t wobble to much, but before you drill you need the Center dot using a small punch were you want to drill the hole so that drill will not wander 

Just drilled .016”  hole through 1/32” with just doing as per above

Regards

Richard