Section Hull Model Kits

acaron41120

Not sure if this is the correct title but there are kits out there of, oh say, the HMS Bounty, where the kit is just the section of the ship at midship and when complete it is displayed on a wall shelf etc.

I know its a personal preference/liking but I'd like to know what the builder of these thought and were they satisfied with them.

Allen

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Yes, these are called cross sections (there are also bow sections and stern sections, but these are less common, i think) . I didn't see one for the HMS Bounty in a quick search though.

Allen,

I personally like those cross section models, mainly because they depict in detail a part of the interior of the ship and can give a pretty good

idea of how the hull, decks, deck supports, etc., were constructed. They also can show how cramped it was between those decks. I built one

of the Wasa which I thoroughly enjoyed, especially modeling the various items and rigging used to operate the cannon. I recommend you

give one a try!

Wasa 1.jpg

Wasa 2.jpg

Wasa 4.jpg

Artesania Latina has a 1:50 San Francisco Cross-section on eBay for a little over $100. Most others I've seen come from China and I'm not certain to their accuracy.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

If you'd be interested in scratch building one, there's the Triton project here at MSW.    I'd beware of any of those. There's a Triton offering which is pirated from the MSW plans, thus, if manufacturer is on the ban list... no go on a build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I know Model expo sells cross sections of both the Mamoli 1/93 scale as well as the Model Shipways 1/76 scale USS Constitution

The MS one is the same scale as their full kit.  The MS cross section is designed by Ken Foran who is a member here.  My own opinion is the MS instructions pretty good and the service can't be beat