Greetings from Windsor, ON

Glad I found this site, and thank you for confirming my registration!

Rookie model builder, as in it's been years since I have even built a plastic model kit.  Also, very big interest in ships.  Being located in one of the major great lakes port cities, following the ships on the Detroit River has been a part of my life since before I could walk.

With that being said, I want to start to get into the model building hobby.  Sadly, in terms of stock kits, there is nobody out there that makes model kits of these types of ships (be it a great lakes freighter, or even a "saltie").  The imagine in my profile pic is what I am looking to do (or similar).  There seem to plenty of kits/builds of the mores historic wooden ships, and many military (again, pretty much zero Canadian military ships), and these are all great builds that I have seen on here and elsewhere.  From talking to local hobby shops and other people with similar interests, it seems scratch building is the way to go.  Also, the owners of the shops around here did say that if there ever was a company who starting issuing models of ships like the Edmund Fitzgerald, they would be hard to keep in stock.  For whatever reason(s), they just are not made.

I did go through one build log of the Maersk Detroit - all I can say is "WOW"!  Obviously this builder has tons of experience, so not expecting a museum quality build for my first one, but this is what I am striving for.

I am sure I will have lots of questions, so apologies now.  Hope I don't drive everyone crazy.

Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing your build if you are able to find the one like you describe.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

Hello, JKC (which just so happens to be my wife's initials).

The reason why this type of ship is not found in kit form is that, despite their commercial importance, they are not terribly exciting to modelers on the whole. So they will probably always be a niche subject. We look forward to seeing how you tackle this project.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

3 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Hello, JKC (which just so happens to be my wife's initials).

The reason why this type of ship is not found in kit form is that, despite their commercial importance, they are not terribly exciting to modelers on the whole. So they will probably always be a niche subject. We look forward to seeing how you tackle this project.

Cheers!

I can totally understand that.  Very basic shape, especially the lake freighters, not much to distinguish from others, and really, it is a very regional type subject matter.  I will not do the Edmund Fitzgerald - been done hundreds of times.  My goal is to try something different.  Turning out the planning for this is quite a journey itself.  I did reach out to Canada Steamship Lines to try to get plans/drawings for their new Trillium Class bulk carriers (see CSL Welland as an example for those unfamiliar with this), more than just the general info page that's on their site, and their response was that they are not able to provide that information due to safety reasons.  So, finding builders drawings/plans for the newest freighters are going to be hard to find.  I do have a resource that is going to provide me with original builders drawings once the covid related restrictions are lifted.  This will be something totally new to me.  With no experience doing something like this, it's going to be a challenge.  I know this isn't going to be a weekend project either.

Welcome! I always love to see unique and interesting subjects that haven’t been modeled hundreds of times before good luck on your continued search

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Iron Shipwrights makes a resin kit of the Big Fitz in 1/700 and 1/350.

Edited by GrandpaPhil
Grammar

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me