Pen Duick by BobG - Artesania Latina - 1:28

Thanks for stopping by, Erik and Hake. It'll be slow going now that I'm into the "mystery rigging section." 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

29 minutes ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

Bob, nice to see you back at work on your beautiful model!

Thanks, Don. I've been enjoying your Winnie build. Really fine work!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

So glad to see you are continuing with this build Bob. I'm going to be relying heavily on this log when I start my Pen Duick later this year!

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

17 minutes ago, jpalmer1970 said:

So glad to see you are continuing with this build Bob. I'm going to be relying heavily on this log when I start my Pen Duick later this year!

I hope my log will be of some assistance to you although, at the rate I'm going, I may be getting assistance from your log especially figuring out the rigging. She is really is a beautiful racing yacht and I look forward to your build. Thanks for looking in. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Jump over to Flirt before you get too frustrated, there is plenty of help to be had for her. Plenty to enjoy with that build along with Chris and James detailed instructions. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, BobG said:

Well, they say that wonders never cease so, believe it or not, I actually sat down at my modeling table and made a little progress on the Pen Duick. The Artesania Latina plans and instructions are pretty much useless after you finish the hull and, eventually, I lost my motivation to keep at it. I'm still not sure how I will figure out the rigging but I'll give it a go. My plan is to keep chipping away at the Pen Duick and also start building the Flirt at the same time. I figure that working on the Flirt and the Pen Duick at the same time will balance things out for me when the Pen Duick gets too frustrating.

I finished adding the hatches and the cockpit to the deck today. The only problem I had was that the tabs on the coamings around the cockpit did not line up well with the holes I had previously carved in the deck as per the plans. The walnut coaming is old and hard so they wouldn't flex much either. Eventually, after some careful filing, I managed to get them to sit flush on the deck without breaking them but there were some small gaps showing in the deck next to where the tabs slotted into the deck.

I use Titebond Quick & Thick as my primary glue. So I made a slurried mixture of the glue with some sawdust from the deck planking strips and used a dental tool to carefully fill in the gaps. It worked great and I'm happy with the way the cockpit and hatches look on the deck.

IMG_6033.thumb.jpg.19e6fcb3639c10b022a9e43c02150c29.jpg

🙂

IMG_6030.thumb.jpg.3f5893be4830e8cb14621113fa756b7f.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

Nice one Chap!!

Your PD is far too nice to relegate to the "One Day" file.

Don't be too concerned about the Rigging, there isn't too much of this and I'm sure that once you get the "Standing" stuff up, the "Running" will become apparent. (I'm sure there are errors with my PD rigging but who's complaining? 🙂)

Give me a shout if you think you are running into "Issues" and I'll try to assist. (If I can remember....)

I'm very keen to watch your progress and see the finished article.

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson