HMS Terror by clearway - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - upgraded

after seeing the hms terror build logs on here especially keith s build i made a start. have always had a fascination with the story of the north west passage and when occre released this it was a must despite the compromises with the kit.

frames glued in place but deck still loose.1016509980_Terror_frames1.thumb.jpg.e9945e556a27f5026ed81f1ed5fe2486.jpg

also glued in the filling pieces between frames at bow and stern

239103863_Terror_infill_pieces1.thumb.jpg.c9ba58d0834d03487fb82df38f84ffb7.jpg

building slip to help keep the keel straight while planking2042154558_Terror_building_slip1.thumb.jpg.d553870c97094ad6bd7d1644c76c29ad.jpg

don't know when next update will be as Victory taking priority at the mo!

Take care all

keith

Ty Wahka- still trying to decide if i should just follow the kit instructions regarding planking, or just run planking from the bow and missing out  the fashion pieces supplied- this is the first time i have come across a kit where the planking is too short to reach from bow to stern! 

961213975_Terror_bow_plans1.thumb.jpg.efc2f8d12aa89aa4507f84a09e84f118.jpg

I wont be planking the deck or adding bulwarks until the first planking is on though

take care all

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

I'm glad you've made a start on this model; I'm excited to see what you do with her after reading your Victory build log. I was interested to see both models are in the same scale, especially the picture of you holding the model between your knees really shows what small ships the bomb vessels were, and how enormous the line-of-battle ships were. The Terror is about the size of a loaf of bread, while you could almost go for a ride on a pond in your Victory in the same scale. 

There is a lot of extra work to do if you wish to make your Terror more historically accurate; she was a highly specialized ship by the end, but all the information you need is online, in Matthew Betts' excellent blog, and the Navy draughts available from NMG. 

In my opinion, the features of the OCCRE kit that are most wanting of improvement are the windlass, capstan, and the lack of the little deckhouses astern. The general layout of the deck furniture is accurate enough, with the exception of pin-rails, but the correct location of these is visible in the Navy draughts. I also wish that I had discarded the belaying-pins from the kit and ordered smaller ones, but it's really too late for me to do that now without pulling apart my model. Who knows, maybe I'll be thanking myself when it's time to actually use them with all those little knots and rope-coils. 

I have been watching your Victory masting and rigging carefully because I am quickly approaching the point on my model when I will be having to make some decisions about Terror and how she is to be rigged. I believe I'm going to mostly ignore the kit instructions and instead use the book you recommended as well as some common-sense from sailing!

Edited by Keith S

Hi Keith- i will be replacing the kit belaying pins with brass ones from billings boats- and yes occre took short cuts with the masts and yards (you will see when your lees masting book arrives). for a start the masts will have iron bands not rope woolding, and there will be chain slings - thats just two differences!- talking of the mr betts build log the stern should have a "tuck" similar to victory as opposed to the square one occre have used, will have to see what i can do with her when fairing the frames- see pic below from matthew betts blog

1966657693_terrorstern.JPG.a6d297836ed2abc50c35ed42a2166d1c.JPG

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Yes I noticed the difference in the stern too. On the real ship, the whole propeller "trunk" was formed by extending the hull planking past the original stern-post. I would like to have modified my kit to include that detail, but since it's my first model, it seemed like a lot of risky work that I had to balance against the potential of ruining it. I'm more confident now- I wish I could start over in some respects. I also wanted to do more realistic planking, but where it would have been most evident- the "drop" planks in the bow- would be covered in metal armour anyway. 

I'm not too worried about the belaying-pins, I think if I do a good job on the rigging it will end up being one of those details that ends up rather buried by everything else around it.

I am planning on metal bands on the mast, I already intercepted that error when I was looking at another build-log here. The builder mentioned that iron bands were the norm after 1820 or so, which if you consider the amount of iron on Terror, it is virtually certain that she was fitted with iron wherever possible, despite her age. I'm thinking of using card for this, the way you have on your yards on Victory.

I am grateful that a kit manufacturer took on one of the Franklin expedition ships, but at this stage I find that the Occre one is basically raw material for a great deal of research and scratch-building when it comes to individual components. There's no doubt that if one built the kit exactly to plans it would be a reasonable model of a bomb-ship in Arctic service, but now that we have the real ship, in excellent condition, sitting in clear, shallow water waiting to be explored, less than 1000 kilometres from my house (!) I feel a compulsion to do the best I can to honour her, as well as being able to look at my model as I follow the researchers vicariously as they explore and photograph her. I hope someday they publish a book or something. I' worried all the dive-footage will be squirrelled away for the boffins and not much will be revealed to us mortals.

I've come to trust Mr. Betts' research completely. There are some things in his reproductions of the draughts that he admits are speculative, which are then revealed to be bang-on when that area of the ship is photographed on the wreck. The little stern lockers, for instance. They are very vaguely described, even in the shipyard drawings, and were moved about a bit when the propeller-well was installed. Yet there is a photograph from the wreck that shows one of them exactly the way Mr. Betts drew them. 

Edited by Keith S

5 hours ago, clearway said:

yep i read through his blog and found that - i would love to see details of davits and chainplates though.

Keith

I have the impression he intends to fully rig the model eventually. He stopped building it because the Canadian Museum borrowed it to display around the world in their "Death in the Ice" exhibit. I actually feel pretty silly with respect to that exhibit. I was in Greenwich when it was there; but at the time my reaction was "meh, I can see that stuff any time" (I'm from the Northwest Territory). Little did I know I'd be building a model of one of the ships eventually!

With respect to davits, my print from the Museum of Terror's side profile seems to indicate the midships davits were actually mounted OUTSIDE the bulwark, with the rest being inside. Also, I don't know if you've seen this, also (nicked) from the NMG: (if you look carefully, the deadeyes seem to be attached to iron chainplates, which is why I chose the ones I used on my model). Maybe this picture will give you a clue about the davits, too. Seems also to be some detail of the mysterious "ice plank" on there, although not a satisfying amount of information.

Also there's some weird little stanchion there that is inexplicably attached to the bottom of the davit's vertical part. And I don't know what those circles are, but on plan views of the ship they seem to store barrels in there. I'll be happy to give you whatever details I manage to glean from my print. 

3EBDA4E3-12FC-40C8-9B97-C87B5E381E4D.jpeg

7259F96E-17A8-4336-B502-40E085DFDFA3.jpeg

Edited by Keith S

excellent and many thanks Keith- much appreciated😁- the weird proyrusion outboard could be handrails for the steps- the stuff inboard might be spare masts and spars- i have an old set of seafaring books from timelife with a cutaway picture of Erebus and although not 100% accurate it is interesting- will dig it out later and put a pic on here.

Keith

after studying the plans sent from keith (cheers again in order) i suspect that the inboard fittings that look like davits on the plan are actually the iron crutches for holding the spare spars  shown on midship section- questions- if this is the first re-fit as exploration vessel did they keep them for the final re-fit before the expedition, and if extra davits were fitted did they follow same format as midship section plan- getting as bad as finding answers on "curse of oak island"😜

take care all

keith

Good question! I assume there would be cranes/davits located everywhere there is boat-storage depicted. On the side-view I purchased from the museum, there are davits in all the locations in the kit: a pair between the mizzen and the stern, another pair between the main and mizzen, and a third pair between the main and foremast. The ones between the main and foremast seem to be mounted outside the bulwarks, and there is a tiny hand-written note there which I will have to use my wife's reading-glasses to read. Let me see if I can make it out. It says: "This upright fitted but (illegible) stored away") the word I can't work out seems to be "un-something". "Unshipped", maybe?

Perhaps these midships ones were meant to be removed when not in use. I can't imagine there's copyright on this ancient material, so I'll take some pictures of it. 

You can see some stanchion-looking things depicted in the waist area, not located on the same brackets as the davit uprights the way it would seem from the section-view. There is some mysterious stuff going in in this area (well everywhere, really) I can see where the elmtree pumps are located aft of the companionway, which I've included in my model. The boats do not seem to be stored on an elevated platform, like they are in the kit, (and my model) but seem to be sitting on deck in a big pile. There are ring-bolts depicted at intervals along the bulwarks; and some mysterious structure abeam the main skylight that seems to depict the lateral boat-storage beams being mounted on cheeks attached to the davits. Also there's some more detail of the mysterious bridge-like "ice plank" which is shown on all the draughts, but without much detail. It appears to have permanent small uprights bolted to the outer bulwark with its aft edge attached somehow to the boat-plank. Those square wooden blocks on the bulwarks still don't seem to have an apparent function. Maybe they're swivel-gun mounts, for signal cannon? This is a very mysterious ship with all her modifications and weird specialized equipment. In the bows, you'll see two different locations for the bowsprit. I believe Erebus is the configuration depicted in the draughts, while the location of the bowsprit partners immediately forward of the foremast (which is what the kit depicts) is correct for Terror. 

Also there's some chain-plate detail there for you.

EDIT: I should point out that this draught is the ANTARCTIC configuration of the ships. They actually depict the 32-oz copper plating, waterline, and 80-oz copper keel-plates. But we know the copper was removed for the Arctic voyages. Other than that, I think the Arctic modifications were pretty much only the rudder-post and propeller-aperture work..as well as the engine of course. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Keith S

Cheers Keith after a second cup of tea this morning went to michael betts blog where he has the 1845 plan and you can see the square irons for the posts which are square (occre have them round!)- need to find out how the cranes were attached to the posts???1650286773_HMSTerror1845UpperDeckPlan.jpg.0e94a80e9898cd2239e418191e6961d9.jpg

the long platform abreast the stern at the lifeboat cradle is described as a bridge in the cutaway drawing in the time life book- the two timbers that stick up might well be mooring bollards (still see them on wooden fishing boats)

thake care all

Keith

Edited by clearway
missed info

It seems in this picture as though at least some of the cranes were attached right to the side of the ship, rather than the posts, and also that the posts were mounted on a pin in a socket at the bottom, with an iron bracket right at the top of the bulwark.

It's well confusing- as well as that ice-bridge. I read somewhere it was to help con the ship in open leads and thin ice, but it seems odd that it doesn't have safety-ropes or anything... was the ice-master expected to just stand balancing on an open plank over the water? I don't think that sounds correct.

2358F322-B665-4C38-A017-17B8791DCF50.jpeg

Edited by Keith S

i was thinking the same thing - imagine walking on that in wet icy conditions!🥺 I seen the way the davit was attached on that drawing and you can see the anchoring points on the 1845 plan - it's those tricksy other ones that i think are actually for fishing the anchors?

Keith

11 hours ago, clearway said:

i was thinking the same thing - imagine walking on that in wet icy conditions!🥺 I seen the way the davit was attached on that drawing and you can see the anchoring points on the 1845 plan - it's those tricksy other ones that i think are actually for fishing the anchors?

Keith

I think I know the ones you mean. They aren't depicted in the plan-view, and in the side-view they just appear to be floating there. One looks like it might have a sheave in it? No idea what they are. I thought maybe chesstrees, but they aren't really in the right place for that.

I've half a mind to shelf my model and wait for you to catch up, so we can brainstorm some of the finer points together!

789ADB33-ECD9-4100-8D56-327B0E19D465.jpeg

041BB7E3-1366-4318-8A7E-87FD44FDB594.jpeg

Edited by Keith S

thanks for comments and likes all- ahhh that be a kevel for the topyard lift that be if it is to the rear of the mast- when you look at the quarter deck on my victory just in front of the steps you will see what i mean☺️.

more progress in shipyard with the frames bevelled, also decided to not bother with the built up ply bow and added timbers from scrap ply from kit to run planks all the way to the bow,

1085880298_Terror_faired_frames1.thumb.jpg.1158eaa9cbd9c0ce1a39262dd52e67db.jpg

next i will build up the fashion piece for the stern prop extension and see about if i can manage that tuck!

take care all

Keith

Thanks for views ,likes and comments everyone- got the replacement frames in the bow faired and the planking on the transom- always makes me nervous altering the way a kit is built- go too far and one ruined kit🤢.

1567798034_Bow_timber_faired1.thumb.jpg.f052eb56aab9b444342c4a62b177edb5.jpg

1580471600_Transom_planked1.thumb.jpg.e0d8f6a3222b0915e202a9130841c1b6.jpg

glued the three parts for the sternpost assembly (still need sanded to final shape) and trial fitted to stern- need to rebate into top and bottom planks to get it sitting right' the first planking will finish at the frame the will be rounded off to do the tuck with the second planking.

412931367_Terror_stern_post1.thumb.jpg.583646ae3d8ee0dd6bea4bb4c2e80dee.jpg

after the planks on transom have been sanded to shape can start planking- yeyyyyyyyyy.

take care all

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Considering how particular I've been about the rest of the ship, I'm beginning to wish I'd been brave enough to attempt to correct this part of the hull. I have to remind myself however, this is my first ship and I found the planking to be challenging enough without changing the frames too much.

Thanks for views and likes everyone-if i hadn't built a few already i wouldn't have tried either Keith and yours looks o.k. - to be honest we will have to see how it turns out in't end🤨.

While waiting for some glue to dry on my Victory i fettled the planking on the counter to take the sternpost.

1412464272_Stern_rebate_21.thumb.jpg.d85ce9e5d90dc103807e963bc917da9a.jpg

976954108_Stern_post_rebate1.thumb.jpg.689449a7d011659e9b1cf24aa5e755ce.jpg

take care all

Keith

Thanks for views likes and comments everyone- because the planking strips supplied with the kit arn't long enough i dug out some left over from previous billings builds- although a bit on the rough side i did want to have full length planks for the first few runs. First i pencilled off the line where the ply bulwarks will reach too. 

843191464_Terror_bulwarks1.thumb.jpg.f51dc0aa0a9dd0dd4f2ac2b6cb6a34da.jpg1939234414_Terror_planking1.thumb.jpg.40925818cc7243981873776bbbcc4b73.jpg

take care all

Keith

thanks for views and comments -used the last of the full length planks and got a couple of runs with kit supplied planks staggering the joins where it doesn't reach the stern- at 2mm thick it isn't very yeilding! looks a bit messy but should sand up o.k.🤨.

886961912_Terror_bow_planking1.thumb.jpg.a50181440e0e0cc1c30be911092b6892.jpg

199338398_Terror_stern_planking1.thumb.jpg.65e3826c0e51ae2fe7229b2f67d05f6c.jpg

take care all

Keith

I was annoyed the planks weren't full length at this stage too. And I am a bit annoyed that the aluminium pieces they supply for the bow armour all need to be cut into quarters. I feel like this could have been done beforehand. I know, it's a "kit" but honestly if every one of them needs to be cut into quarters it wouldn't be any less fun to build if this was already done for you.

i hear you keith, i am thinking of alternatives to the aluminium as well- you need to polish it before gluing and painting though it is soft compared to brass or nickel silver sheet- bit to go before i need to think about that part though😁

Keith

thanks for looking in everyone - planking continues- have dug out more strips of wood left over from billings builds as it bends easier for the stern- looks a bit rough n ready with three different thicknesses of planking but looks like i will get that tuck on the stern done😁 :dancetl6: fingers crossed🤔.

1235068876_Terror_stern_tuck1.thumb.jpg.2b59971b8fd3aa8ffa3070365885cdc6.jpg

take care all

Keith