Hello from Brooklyn!

Hello to everyone. I am a new hobbyist here, already looking for help. I found some great information on this site that led me to purchase a Polaris kit from OcCe, which I like because it has video tutorials for me to follow. I have some questions about materials I need that were not in the box. 

1) White or carpenters glue: I got Elmers wood glue which also says "carpenters" on it. 

2) Quick-drying glue: I got Krazy Glue. 

3) Contact of cobblers glue: I got "contact cement." 

4) Sandpaper: This was confusing because one place in the instructions says to use fine grain and another says to use medium grain. I bought black sandpaper with the number 600 on the back, which feels finer then the piece of sandpaper included in the box. 

Are my materials ok or should I replace something? Thank you for your time. I hope you are all healthy and well in these difficult times. 

Dan

1.jpg

Welcome aboard Dan.

There are over 30K members here and probably as many opinions based on each one's personal experience.  No wrong choice if it works for you, but each choice has limitations and consequences. 

My own take.    Any CA glue such as Krazy glue has very limited used in wood working and there are better formulas to use so not needed. 

Carpenter's glue (yellow aliphatic such as Elmers and Titebond) is all around the best for wood.  It is strong and cures relatively quickly.  I never thought that speed should  be a factor in a hobby, but that's just me.  I am often looking for instant gratification, or so my dear wife keeps telling me, but not in  all things, one being model building.  Downside, it is not water proof.  Upside, if there is a mistake, water or Ispropyl alcohol will loosen a part so can be fixed.

Contact cement,  never used it, but epoxy is a good thing to have handy when gluing/attaching metal and wood.  While it takes time to cure, it is super strong. 

Sandpaper.  Several grits including low numbers like 120 or lower for rough sanding, and fine paper such as 600  as you have for finish sanding.   

I urge you to start a build log which will have folks checking on your progress and will give you a chance to voice concerns and ask questions. 

Good luck with the build.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, allanyed said:

Welcome aboard Dan.

There are over 30K members here and probably as many opinions based on each one's personal experience.  No wrong choice if it works for you, but each choice has limitations and consequences. 

My own take.    Any CA glue such as Krazy glue has very limited used in wood working and there are better formulas to use so not needed. 

Carpenter's glue (yellow aliphatic such as Elmers and Titebond) is all around the best for wood.  It is strong and cures relatively quickly.  I never thought that speed should  be a factor in a hobby, but that's just me.  I am often looking for instant gratification, or so my dear wife keeps telling me, but not in  all things, one being model building.  Downside, it is not water proof.  Upside, if there is a mistake, water or Ispropyl alcohol will loosen a part so can be fixed.

Contact cement,  never used it, but epoxy is a good thing to have handy when gluing/attaching metal and wood.  While it takes time to cure, it is super strong. 

Sandpaper.  Several grits including low numbers like 120 or lower for rough sanding, and fine paper such as 600  as you have for finish sanding.   

I urge you to start a build log which will have folks checking on your progress and will give you a chance to voice concerns and ask questions. 

Good luck with the build.

Allan

Thank you for your reply. I was asking about the glue because the instructions clearly show them building certain parts using "contact glue," but I could only find "contact cement." I hope its the same thing... ?

And I started my build log thanks for the tip!

Edited by danbloch
Spelling

Welcome to MSW Dan. I use both wood glue and CA on my models. I use Zap CA.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Welcome to MSW, Dan.   I'm not a fan of CA, Crazy Glue, and the like nor contact cement for models.  I only white glue or wood glue (wood glue is usually yellow) and epoxy.   The only other glue is rubber cement for pasting plans to wood for cutting.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.