HMS Terror by Geowolf - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:75 - Step by step

Hi all again, 

i'll try to put some photos about my current Project, step by step. I think it's not difficult model but they have a lot of job (and time, and fun,...). They Will be painted at black/white traditional pattern like the original boat, this is a challenge for me because i have no experience painting Wood.

First, the deck finished with matte varnish not colored. I'm giving a small curvature to the stern mirror (i think this word is not correct...)

Second, i'm testing chalk paint brown color (chocolate) for inside, i'll try to put first layer brown and a second layer black, degraded with the sandpaper.

Third, my workplace 😄

Please if you have more ideas about painting, i'll make some test with spare wood. I know that i want but i'm not sure about the way 😅

regards and keep safe,  

IMG_20200529_173519.jpg

IMG_20200529_173607.jpg

IMG_20200529_173824.jpg

IMG_20200529_174143.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, 

some photos of first stage of planking, i'm using a welder (it's the correct word?) to curve the wood slats. Previously i'm leaving the slats with water at least 12h.

finally one of the small boats, painted in brown/white colour with weather effect; long long time to take this effect and i'm not very happy with the final result,... two hands of brown paint, one hand vernish, two hands of white paint, sanding and the final vernish layer to fix it.

regards!!

F.  

IMG_20200619_201819.jpg

SAVE_20200624_121114.jpg

IMG_20200624_120835.jpg

IMG_20200624_120817.jpg

IMG_20200624_120805.jpg

On 6/24/2020 at 9:15 PM, clearway said:

for weathering the lifeboat try a couple of washes of diluted grey paint to tone down the effect?

Keith

ahhh i wanted to do it with black paint at the junction between the hull and the benches, i'll make some test before 😅  

• 1 month later...

hi all,

finishing the hull, the first plank it's not very difficult, but at the bow... what a f***** piece of wood!!! my floor seems a sawmill!! i started with the sandpaper block, but maybe i'll finish it at Christmas, so i've taken my big weapon at the balcony. First, i'll need some time with the dremel maybe half hour more or less; second, under the sunlight at 35ºC it's not a good idea, i'll wait the night 🥵

some gaps between the planks, i'm sure it's due because the planks has been in water some hours and they take water inside, so when it is dry two or three days after fix it in the hull, they leave gaps 😡; it is the first layer so no problem but with a model with only single layer, it's not acceptable for me...

first picture: the completed hull ready yo sanding

second picture: maybe an axe it's better for take the unnecesary wood...

third picture: i scared about to retire too much wood with the dremel

i need to take a beer... 😅🍺🍺

IMG_20200727_183752.jpg

IMG_20200727_183829.jpg

IMG_20200728_190253.jpg

12 hours ago, clearway said:

Wait till you start sanding the shroud protector/ ice bumper when you come to it😉just go nice and steady- at this stage sandpaper wrapped round a piece of wood might be better for the final finish.

Keith

ufff i know, another amount of wood hahahaha. I'll need more beer!!! 😱

I actually use a small wood for modelist supplied with my first model Albatros, and for large surfaces i use a cork Wolcraft block, very useful because i can cut the cork to fit the curves of the model. This afternoon i'll try again with the dremel, my objective is to retire the large amount of unnecesary wood and later use the cork block

i've seen your mast in your ship, well done Keith!

regards,

F. 

• 3 weeks later...

hi all and good morning,

i've just start the second planking, i'm not confortable about it, i don't like this planks sooo thin! maybe the result will not be as good as i wanted, but you know we're learning each day 😅

I'll relate my own "terror" film: i've prepared a large surface with all the thin planks attached, to vernish it as i've seen in the Occre webpage videos. Baaaaad idea!! the planks has been attached when the vernish dried to the support (an old carton box), impossible to take the planks! i've lost more than 30 planks "glued" to the box by the vernish, bad starting. Second mistake (the sequel of my terror film hahah), i've buyed contact glue thinking it's more easy to use because the plank is fixed very quickly; well, i've started with three / four first planks but the contact glue is drying very quickly, the spare glue is added to the planks and the final result was bad, with the four planks spotted with contact glue (well fixed at least). I've finished the plank with my well know wood glue, it need more time to dry. 

some photos with final sanding, i'm thinking the first planking is better than the second one 😒, this afternoon i'll try to upload some photos of second plank,

good summer!!

IMG_20200811_182822.jpg

IMG_20200811_182743.jpg

IMG_20200811_182758.jpg

hi all good afternoon, 

finally one side of my second plank, if you see the pictures in detail you'll find my mistakes, i'm not happy 😔😔  

maybe the other side will be better. I think the stern can be well finished i need to cut the remain planks and clean all, but the bow,... i think it can't be repaired. At least each day i'm learning a bit more 😌 

regards!

IMG_20200817_172744.jpg

IMG_20200817_172903.jpg

IMG_20200817_172757.jpg

IMG_20200817_172924.jpg

24 minutes ago, clearway said:

you might be able to tidy it up when the capping rail is added, you can always cut out planking and replace it.

Keith

yep, i'm thinking about cut some planks and replace it, but i used sandpaper in all and the rest of planks are very thiiiin like a cigarette paper, ufff i like thickness planks it's easy to fix something! 

I'm not made for these delicate things! hahaha

i've the hull in my office table near to the PC, i'm seeing all the time, i think i must to go biking and take it out from my mind

thanks a lot for your comments clearway 🤗

F.

There's nothing wrong with your bow planking that can't be fixed with a bit of sanding. The plank that is sticking out a little can be fixed down by applying a little thin CA glue and holding it down with your fingernail until the glue grabs. Anyway, don't worry about the bow, it will be covered by the metal armour anyway. Nobody will be able to see it.

hi all,

thanks a lot for your kind words!! i think i'll try the Keith S solution, if the plank is too thin or damaged, i'll replace it as clearway says. I had a problem with the planks in my first model Albatros (single plank, no way to mistakes), and i left it, abandoned, one year more or less....  but with this model no! thanks for your words, they're pushing me to continue! this weekend i'll continue with the other side,

meanwhile i make advances in the model, i show you my ebike (picture taken this summer in Barbastro - Huesca), for me it's a good way to disconnect from all 😊

regards and take care!

40267465_10215527193668817_3151495608502583296_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Geowolf, I had the same issue with one of my planks on the bow, followed Keith's advice, and after painting the hull nothing was visible, so don't worry, it can be corrected 🙂

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

13 hours ago, ObviousNewbie said:

Looking good Geowolf, I had the same issue with one of my planks on the bow, followed Keith's advice, and after painting the hull nothing was visible, so don't worry, it can be corrected 🙂

thanks a lot for your comment, well at this moment i'm making the other side and the result is slightly better (at least i think i'm improving my skills hahaha), but still i've some planks "above or under" the adjacents. I think about two possible reasons: first, the first hull is smooth and clean but it has depressions or hills (maybe due for sanding or the adjustment between the solid bow and the hull planks); the second reason, i tried to force the planks of the second layer to make the way i wanted, and it's not correct, the plank must to follow his own natural way and it must be fit naturally without elevations above the first layer...

well, in any case i think this week i'll finish with the planks, some photos with the other side!

thanks for your comments and regards, stay safe!

IMG_20200827_184610.jpg

IMG_20200827_194823.jpg

IMG_20200827_194839.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi all good afternoon, working a bit on the kit, all wood work is finished, some pictures of the stern. I'm not happy with the handrail, not well finished, i'll try to fill with something to avoid gaps before final painting...

i've made the windows of the stern with a pattern bubbles finded in internet and printed with a laser printer; quickly and easy but sure it's better to use a more noble material hahaha. With the vernish i think it'll be better. 

thanks a lot for your comments and regards, take care!

IMG_20200926_184323.jpg

IMG_20200926_184354.jpg

hi Keith, thanks a lot for your comment, i had some problems with the handrails, very difficult for me to take the curve and they are not very well placed, but with a lot of sandpaper it looks better hehehe. I'm thinking about to follow with the metal plating of the bow and painting all and finish all the hull before start with small pieces above the deck. Are you starting with the wiring? i think all the wire between the hull and the masts it's going to be a lot of fun 😅, i my first model only a few wires was not very difficult to fix it tight but in this model, uffff 😭

i think all the wires and ropes must to be as tight as possible, i hate soft ropes...

regards!!   

it is a knack getting the tension on the rigging just right. i will not be putting any rigging in place for a long time yet (always like to get the masts done early to get a feel of how the ship will look), i still have wire eyes to install at the base of the masts to take rigging before i finally glue the fife rails in place as well. Are you going to alter your terror along the same ideas as keith s and myself?

Keith

hi Keith good morning, i think i'll use the parts included in the kit, i know are very simple and not accurate, in fact i'm not working in the model these days... at this moment i'm a bit depressed, last sunday i fell off my ebike and my left knee is in bad condition 😔, at least i can work from home, but the knee it's a torture.. well i think in some days i'll be better

i'm seeing your advances in your Terror, well done! 🏅

regards,

Hi Geowolf, sorry to hear about the knee, get well soon! Nice work on the ice-shocks, they were a challenge to get right, I know I had my fair share of problems with them.

If it can help, I did most of my mast construction off-boat, rigging the blocks on the yardarms, attaching them to the masts, and only then did I mount them on the ship itself. I thought this would give me more control of the alignment between the mast elements, it also gave me a crash course in detailed rigging, something I put to good use afterwards 🙂

Anyway, just my two cents, again, I'm only starting, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt...

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre