Confederacy by Jaxboat - Model Shipways

Ben,

Thanks for your comments. I need to steel wool the golden oak stain sealer. I think that will take care of that issue. As I mentioned above, the paint was not as "Matt" as I wanted.  Can you steel wool paint? I am now planking the lower part of the ship. Lots of good build photos from you and others to help.

Happy New Year

Jaxboat B)

Not sure about steel wool on that paint.  Like everything else you need to try it off-line.  1200 grit paper might do the trick.  I have the same problem with MS 'hull/spar black'.  Just a bit too much shine.

And the best of the New Year to you and yours.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 1 year later...

Been really bad filing progress, The hull is basically finished. I am finishing up the stern fittings then onto the Ship interior. I really struggled with the windows . I finally developed a method to install them properly. I also had problems with the drops on the quarter galleries. The drop castings are terrible and don't fit the laser cut pieces designed for them, I have genuinely enjoyed building this kit. Chucks kit is beautifully designed and the instructions are clear.

Pics soon

Best Jaxboat

Ok Here are the most recent. I struggled with the stern because I broke the upright repeatedly. I eventually did the best I could to align things I used the windows as patterns by laminating wood onto the  frames then tracing the windows onto the beefed up frames until the windows fit perfect.

That's one of Chuck's little cannons. I did the quoin handle with files. The cannon kits are exquisite. I did one of the ship's boats as a break. It was quite challenging. The design is excellent.

The Castings for the stern aren't two bad except for the quarter gallery drops. They are terrible. One did not even fit a laser cut piece designed for it. 

I look forward to starting the interior work.

I highly recommend this kit especially if you get Chuck's upgrades (Marvin the Martian  figurehead replacement, cannons, cannon carriage kits etc.).

post-2738-0-84446700-1447701865_thumb.jpg

post-2738-0-92691800-1447701888_thumb.jpg

post-2738-0-03334500-1447701918_thumb.jpg

post-2738-0-52818900-1447701942_thumb.jpg

post-2738-0-84545200-1447701987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaxboat

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...