Beginner question here, but I’m getting ready to install bulkheads, and the instructions say to fair the bulkheads before glueing them in or installing blocking. I would think the bulkheads are going to be moving around if not glued in and supported, leading to a poor fairing.  What would be the reason for that order and what would be downside if I glued them in first?

“The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
― Jacques Yves Cousteau

Work in Progress: US Brig Syren

Completed Works: Thermopylae

Jamie, that is a puzzler. I don't see why or how you would fair bulkheads unless they were glued in place since they need to be faired in relationship to one another. Blocking you can either install before fairing or after fairing and the fair them in. I prefer putting the blocking in first and just fair once.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

It does call for them to be installed in the bulkhead former, just not glued in until done fairing.  I think I’m going to deviate from the instructions and glue and block first, as you describe.  There’s really nothing I can’t sand or shape just because it’s glued up.

“The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
― Jacques Yves Cousteau

Work in Progress: US Brig Syren

Completed Works: Thermopylae

The fairing will be an iterative process. The bulk of the fairing, particularly where the waterlines form a steeper angle with the bulkheads, is easier done on the bench, than when the bulkheads are installed. The final fairing, using a spline batten, should be done with the bulkheads firmly installed.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg