Thermopylae by Jamie Coleman - FINISHED - Scientific Models - Scale 1:96 - First ship build

This will be my first model ship build.  At one point growing up, my dad had a plastic model kit of the Cutty Sark, and it basically sat in a box.  I always wanted to do the model, but never had the space/time/skill.  Eventually it was thrown away when my parents moved.  While talking to my Uncle about being disappointed, he gave me a wooden Thermopylae kit from Scientific Models, circa 1973.  I was very excited, and got started right away.  3 months later, I had my first child, and the model sat untouched for 13 years. Being stuck at home due to the coronavirus stay-at-home orders prompted me to start it up again, and I’m finally making progress.

Picture of the very old box, and sail plan to start.

1 Box.JPG

2 Sail Plan.JPG

“The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
― Jacques Yves Cousteau

Work in Progress: US Brig Syren

Completed Works: Thermopylae

Posting according to the steps in the manual, here's painted hull, decking, some of the deck structures and the railing started.

Step 2-1.JPG

step 2-2.JPG

Step 2-3.JPG

Step 2-4.JPG

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

WOW... You really are cooking along with this model. It is really great to see someone do a scientific kit. They are reasonably accurate, fairly simple, yet result in a good representation of the ship at hand are of a great display size. I have this exact kit in my 'stash' and I really pleased that your building it.  You will need to figure out some solution to belaying pins and pin rails, Scientific does have some shortfalls mostly due to scale and simplicity. A good reference for better rigging will also be beneficial as their rigging plan is way oversimplified.Great job!!

steve

Thanks for the comments Steve. Yeah, for this one, a lot of the rigging is just square knots around a jib or mast with a dot of glue.  I think with the scale it’s hard to get all the little details, and I’m ok letting this one be a little simple and just using it to cut my teeth on.  I’m kind of cheating on the belaying pins and just tying the lines to holes in the pin rail.  My next ones going to be a 1:64 scale POB, so I’ll be able to be a lot more accurate with the rigging.

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the bow sprite rigging, shrouds and stay sails.  If you were following along in the instructions, you'd see I was jumping between multiple steps, I ran out of pin nails, so I kept working the best I could.  The more I work on this, the more shortcuts I see in the design/instructions as compared to a lot of the build logs/models here.  I'm going to push on through as designed, but lots of room for better rigging detail in the next model.

Step 6-1a.JPG

Step 8-3.JPG

Step 7-1.JPG

Step 6-1b.JPG

Step 6-1c.JPG

Step 6-1d.JPG

Step 8-2a.JPG

Step 8-2b.JPG

Step 8-2c.JPG

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

I was going to comment on how fast you'd been making progress - then I realised you'd posted all but the last photos on a single day, so I'm assuming there was a bit of a backlog of already completed work that the log was catching up with - unless of course you really are Superman (it's possible :D).

But that's really beautiful work - you can be justly proud of the work you've done.

The only thing I'd comment on (and it's very minor, and probably too late to do anythig about it) is that the thread fixing the sails to the yards looks a bit intrusive in black - perhaps a more neutral colour would have been better?

But that's like the motor magazine writers complaining about the placement of the ashtrays in the new model car - they have to find something to offset the completely positive review . . .

I can see the sails would have looked better with the lighter line, I’m not sure why the kit called for black, unless it saved them needing to supply another bundle of line?  And yes, the lower shrouds are disappointing to me, the instructions showed a cross section that wasn’t labeled very well, and I didn’t catch it until the upper shrouds.  The bad part is this one doesn’t use real dead eyes, the lines are glued and pinned into the hull and a metal “deadeye/lanyard” casting is glued on later, so I’m kind of stuck.

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

That's a shame Jamie, but I've found there is not much you can't deconstruct on a wooden boat if you  have the will.

Metal parts stuck with ca can be removed using Acetone, and pva glue by water and isopropanol.

I can understand your reluctance to perhaps get into something you're not comfortable with, so maybe it's a case of putting it down to experience and resolve to do better next time.

Regards,

B.E.

It's a difficult decision, and one most modellers come up against (including me). Do I change the thing I did in good faith but now know better, involving all kinds of work and hassle, and possibly not a perfect result, or do I leave it as it is and put it down to experience, knowing it might sneer at me every time I look at it for the rest of eternity?

You have to decide what's right for you. I've taken both those courses on different aspects of the same model at different times. But also remember that whichever course you take now, umpteen years from now you'll still look back on your first attempts and think "Wow! I've really come a long way!" Which is only right.

Learn from mistakes and do better with every new build you do - but in my view the important thing is to enjoy the ride. This is a hobby, after all. 

Well, it's been a busy few days, and the kids have been monopolizing the computer, so I have a few steps worth of progress to update.  The sails and yards are hung on the masts, these are fairly rudimentary, the sails are just glued to the yards and the yards are glued to the masts.  The instructions just call for clews to be glued to the yard below, I glued some line to the sails and tied them on for a bit more robustness.

Step 9-1.JPG

Step 9-2b.JPG

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

The running rigging is broken down into several stages, first is to do the braces for the royal and top-gallant sails.  This is starting to feel like one of those scenes in a mission impossible movie where the hero has to weasel his way between lasers to reach a prize.  Tying knots with tweezers is definitely easier watching someone else do.

Step 10-2d.JPG

Step 10-2c.JPG

Step 10-2b.JPG

Step 10-1.JPG

Step 10-2a.JPG

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

Upper top sail braces next, much more complex than the earlier braces, multiple blocks per line.

Step 11-1c.JPG

Step 11-1b.JPG

Step 11-1a.JPG

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

The instruction call for all the lower top sail braces before moving on to the crojack and main braces, I opted to complete all the mizzenmast braces before the mainmast braces on these steps, because all the mizzenmast lines would be harder to reach after the main lower top sail braces.

Step 12-1c.JPG

Step 12-1b.JPG

Step 12-1a.JPG

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

One thing I know I will struggle with shortly, all the sheets for the main sails/crojack have nothing to really pull against, the sails have small wire on the edges to help it hold it's shape, but not enough strength to straighten out the line.  You can see the fore main sail sheets already, very slack.  I'm thinking I may have to find either some thin/invisible fishing line and find a way to pull the corner forward, or possibly use a very thin wire to push it from behind, but I'm certainly open to ideas on this one, I can't leave it as is.

Sheet Problem.jpg

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

Still some details to add, but the rigging is done (still need to do something with the main sheets, still a little slack, but I'll do that after I glue on all the dead eye/lanyard castings.

Step 13-1c.JPG

Step 13-1b.JPG

Step 13-1a.JPG

Step 13-1d.JPG

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

Jamie,

Beautiful!  I have two of these in my stash.  You have made me look forward to building one. 

I do have three suggestions, however.  The first is to use copper tape cut to the proper length and width for the lower hull, unless the lower hull was painted.  The second is that, when you are rigging the shrouds, they should go through the lubber holes in the tops, not around the tops.  And, finally, try planking your own deck; it will look much better than the printed one used by Scientific.

I hope that my suggestions are not too cruel.  You did a beautiful job!

Bill

Appreciate all the kind words, I know there are flaws if you look close (or not so close :)), but I learned a lot and am already looking forward to another build.  I’ve got a Model Shipways US Brig Syren on back order, so hoping it’s here by the time I finish the details on this one.

I know I need some better tweezers, and I’m going to try spray painting (air brush purchase and lots of practice is on my to do), and when the time comes, I’ll be getting some of Chuck’s line and blocks.

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

4 hours ago, Bill Morrison said:

I do have three suggestions, however.  The first is to use copper tape cut to the proper length and width for the lower hull, unless the lower hull was painted.  The second is that, when you are rigging the shrouds, they should go through the lubber holes in the tops, not around the tops.  And, finally, try planking your own deck; it will look much better than the printed one used by Scientific.

No hurt feelings on suggestions/critiques Bill, it’s a great way to get better.  All 3 items are definitely on my list for build 2.  The hull is painted copper, but strips of copper and planking the deck would have looked pretty nice.  Shrouds, I just goofed up, and the deadeye shortcut on the model would have made it pretty tough to back track by the time I caught the fowl up.  Chalked up to experience, unfortunately.

if I had it to do over again, I would have done those items, real dead eyes, better/smaller wooden blocks, better line, and done a better job of pre-rigging blocks to the masts.

― Jacques Yves Cousteau

4 hours ago, Jamie Coleman said:

if I had it to do over again, I would have done those items, real dead eyes, better/smaller wooden blocks, better line, and done a better job of pre-rigging blocks to the masts.

Ah, the wisdom of hindsight! If only we'd thought of that at the time . . .

But the thing is to treat this model as a learning experience and transfer the lessons learned to the next build and the next . . .

On 6/19/2020 at 8:08 PM, Jamie Coleman said:

Finished the bow sprite rigging, shrouds and stay sails.  If you were following along in the instructions, you'd see I was jumping between multiple steps, I ran out of pin nails, so I kept working the best I could.  The more I work on this, the more shortcuts I see in the design/instructions as compared to a lot of the build logs/models here.  I'm going to push on through as designed, but lots of room for better rigging detail in the next model.

Step 6-1a.JPG

Step 8-3.JPG

Step 7-1.JPG

Step 6-1b.JPG

Step 6-1c.JPG

Step 6-1d.JPG

Step 8-2a.JPG

Step 8-2b.JPG

Step 8-2c.JPG

good day Jamie, neat and lovely work on cutty competitor. :) horizontal sailing look is eyecatching .  Vlad