Chaperon by joep4567 - 1:48 - Sternwheeler

Engines are a great detail, I'd just suggest studying some resources to get a good sense of what typical sternwheeler engines looked like. For example, here's a decent basic plan that you could work from (from this link):

engine7.jpg

And here are a few views of the simplified engines I built for my Bertrand, which were intended to convey the idea without getting bogged down in details:

bertrand_16a.jpg

bertrand_16b.jpg

Those may also give you a sense of one way to lay them out in the hull. Hope that's helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking engines! I might be "borrowing" some ideas.

Patrick

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

If you're going to have a view into the engine room, a few more nice details would include a sturdy workbench and an anvil/forge, since these boats often had to be responsible for their own repairs (including metal work). Still looking great.

Joe,

I am thoroughly enjoying your build.  Not something I ever thought to build myself, but your log has me thinking about the future 😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Please do, we're all here to take ideas and inspiration from each other. I have several photos of the Arabia's original pumps if you want to work from them instead of the model version. There are a few in my planning thread, but I think I have other angles as well if you want them. Let me know if you want them posted here or shared with you privately to avoid clogging up the thread. I actually don't know what kinds of pumps Chaperon had or how they were arranged, given that she was built decades after Arabia and a lot had changed by then, but pumps are a fun detail. You could always ask someone like Kurt Van Dahm if you care.

I never intended that this be an accurate representation of the Chaperon so I'm not that concerned about details I just want to keep things "in the ball park" and see what I can do. Eric please post me anything you have that you think might help. I don't care where. I'm going to finish horizontal shutters for the ER openings and build a door and do some painting before I start on them. THANKS

I just compared my original photos with those I included in the link above, and there aren't any others that are remarkably different. Your rudder posts look nice.

Looks about right. One way to judge scale would be to create a rough human figure and see whether the arms are roughly at the right level for human use. Mine's too deep in the model to measure it, but I think it was 3-4' tall. As far as I know, these connected directly to the river and were used for two main purposes: to prime the doctor pump when steam wasn't available, and for light general hosing or any other use for riverwater. Note that the original has a line leading to the doctor and a connection on the front to attach a hose or pipe. I'm actually not sure how they dealt with water in the hold, as steamboats' flat bottom meant that there was no central bilge for water to collect in that could be reliably accessed by a pump. Maybe they ran a leather hose down there from one of the main pumps?

I've done some additional work on the doctor pump and waiting for the solvent to set completely. I started making a template to use in building the boiler deck and discovered ,in the process, that I have the stand pipes for the steam drum longer than they should probably be as the deck clears but barely so I'll shorten them.  How are people treating the surface of the boiler deck relative to realism?

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG