Cutty Sark by Bruma - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC

9 hours ago, Bruma said:

3d printed locomotive move! 

What an interesting project! And very nicely printed, I don’t see any supports scars anywhere. I couldn’t hear or see any gears grinding but have been told by a pro that candle wax is a great lubricant for 3d printed gears, if you are having that problem. I’ve been meaning to try it on my rope seizing machine but as I’ve parked the Cutty Sark for now that may be a while.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

Posted (edited)

Good day,

Dear Bruma,

Sorry, I thought You depicted position "C"... regarding my comments ... only by my private opinion, may be positiin C of the sails cold  be more "artistic" if I could say that ,"as wall of sails" .. :)))

...I was under impression of this picture 

Cutty Sark_003a.JPG

Edited by kirill4

On 4/6/2024 at 10:25 AM, Kevin-the-lubber said:

What an interesting project! And very nicely printed, I don’t see any supports scars anywhere. I couldn’t hear or see any gears grinding but have been told by a pro that candle wax is a great lubricant for 3d printed gears, if you are having that problem. I’ve been meaning to try it on my rope seizing machine but as I’ve parked the Cutty Sark for now that may be a while.

Thank you, that is good advice, I’ll try it out for sure!

17 hours ago, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Dear Bruma,

Sorry, I thought You depicted position "C"... regarding my comments ... only by my private opinion, may be positiin C of the sails cold  be more "artistic" if I could say that ,"as wall of sails" .. :)))

...I was under impression of this picture 

Cutty Sark_003a.JPG

No apologies needed, Kirill! It is quite the opposite! Thank you for bringing this point to my attention. 

I'm still in doubt about what to do... And I'll be glad to read about this topic from others.  I'm still not sure about my explanation, and I see many examples on real ship where it seems that you are right.  

Here is an example from Bark Europa:

At 14:19 or at 14:59 she seems to be setted as you suggested, but looking at the flag on the main mast, she seems to be at “C” configuration, with the wind ahead. 

Here is another video:

And at 7:17 it seems to be as I depicted them.  But at 34:24, with almost no wind, the tack is clearly being used…

I have also made a quick test on my model. The tack for the fore course is on the cathead, but it is really far ahead! It seems weird to me… I’m I missing something?

This is the result of a firs quick test:

image.thumb.jpeg.8c1bf59f99636b72ff11b821a18a4a5f.jpeg

I really need some help to be sure to make the right choice! If anyone knows the answer, please let me know! 

Current build: Cutty Sark - Revell - 1:96:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25323-cutty-sark-by-bruma-revell-196/

Posted (edited)

Good day,

Dear Bruma,

I have a few pictures of Fl.Cloud model, maybe You will find some idea for configuration / positioning sails on your model... as far as I could see, on this model ,choosed the case when both tacks and sheets of main/ lower courses looks tight at the same time...?!

And position of the yards looks similar to your model yards position...on your model maybe You shown some" excessive "bellies" of lower sails?

Agree ,on the model, it looks "strange" if try to 100% tight and secure fore tack on the cathead...but when compare to Campbell drawings everything should be ok...

hm,strange... are the geometry of the kit model ,such as length of the yards,masts positions, size of the sails mutch the dimensions on the Campbells drawings of KS ?

maybe on the kit model yards shorter than it should be?

Or angle of the yards turn is not sufficient?

At least, maybe there is sence to choose compromise variant  when and yards sharp turned but and sails corner positioned in such way when both tacks and sheets looks tight?

14-9113949-antonio-jacobsen.jpg

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

20180319_191054.jpg

B12134.jpg

C2761.jpg

C2762.jpg

C2764.jpg

E5255CR-d1.jpg

SL29987.jpg

SL29988.jpg

SL29989.jpg

SL29990.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Posted (edited)

Thank you again Kirill, and sorry for the delay in answering. 

I tend not to use models or painting as reference, so I have looked for more picture of real ships in the same condition. 

Here is a collection of James Craig, Europa and Star of india:

image.thumb.jpeg.635b760658e5ea253bbabad9fc66cbe1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b3b689893a97e5a0be37ca9bbea299cb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e63474dee528393629b427d1f92d64d9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bf104340b26b2801c9ecceb1dc1fecd5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dfcfcd04e965980378f1276ab8b4869b.jpeg

As you can see, they all seem to match my model and I’m more and more convinced to present the cutty sark with the thack on the windward. 

I will further shape the sails, but this configuration appears to be vastly more frequent than the original one. Thank you for helping me to change my mind about it! 

Lastly a comparison between my Cutty Sark and the Star of India:

image.thumb.jpeg.6685bb1da1db54b40a11019e1a00a4e1.jpeg

Not too bad in my opinion, surely better than the previous one!

Edited by Bruma

Current build: Cutty Sark - Revell - 1:96:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25323-cutty-sark-by-bruma-revell-196/

Good day ,

Dear Bruma,

Indeed, Your Cutty Sark ,with current sails configuration-  the thack on the windward - looks fantastically cool!!!

Agree with Your " tend not to use models or painting as reference" as the right way! ...

this is just my "specific" if I could say that, to relay more on the old paintings or museum models as reference due to no other sources of info  for making galleons model :)))

but this is not the case for the modern sailing vessel such as CS , when there are much more relaible source of information.

Thanks for posting this collection of images of real vessels.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, shipman said:

Curious to know why the rails were never fitted at Greenwich.

I know it´s a wee bit late but I think they never fitted them in Greenwich because they know she never again will have salt water under the keel... hope you guys get the meaning of it. There is no need for such "safety" measures anymore since she never will see rough seas, therefore no one ever will go overboard.

I followed these LOG now for a while and soak in all the informations since I love the Cutty Sark and will build my own one day (when more experienced - right now I challenge my Roar Ege / Skuldelev) but what I noticed is all these conversations about what is accurate and what not.
When you read the logs about the Cutty Sark you notice that many things have changed over the time she was in use and under different ownerships. Therefore when WE build "our" Cutty Sark we only can represent the Cutty Sark of one of the eras not all of them (which definitely wouldn´t be accurate). Therefore I would suggest to state the era / timeslot used for the build. But that`s just my humble opinion on it...

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 2:29 AM, Scottish Guy said:

I know it´s a wee bit late but I think they never fitted them in Greenwich because they know she never again will have salt water under the keel... hope you guys get the meaning of it. There is no need for such "safety" measures anymore since she never will see rough seas, therefore no one ever will go overboard.

I followed these LOG now for a while and soak in all the informations since I love the Cutty Sark and will build my own one day (when more experienced - right now I challenge my Roar Ege / Skuldelev) but what I noticed is all these conversations about what is accurate and what not.
When you read the logs about the Cutty Sark you notice that many things have changed over the time she was in use and under different ownerships. Therefore when WE build "our" Cutty Sark we only can represent the Cutty Sark of one of the eras not all of them (which definitely wouldn´t be accurate). Therefore I would suggest to state the era / timeslot used for the build. But that`s just my humble opinion on it...

Micha

Era Identification is very important.  Cutty experienced several changes while in the hands of the Portugues.  Namely the addition of the forward (In front of the foremast and aft cabin entry to her poop carriage house, just in front of the wheel.   You can see many examples of different slightly different examples of Cutty...for the most part, they are all correct....but just at different times.  One observer may say, *Hey that forward hatch is not right*, Or she never had forward crane davits(for the anchors).......

My own experience with building the Glory of the Seas easily demonstrated that you had to be quite specific in your era...because she under went so many drastic changes.  All correct, but not all at the same time....during a specific time.

As far as Cutty is concerned...other then my own attempt...I have not yet seen an example of her when she was re-rigged as a barkentine and painted in her gun port anti pirate scheme.

Bruma's example is fantastic...shows imagination, skill and authenticity.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."