tom cadman

Tom Cadman

I'm new to this forum and new to posting in general.  I started a wood ship model about 36 years ago and have just come across it in my attic.  The hull is planked and I'm getting restarted.  About 51 years ago is started and built 3 ships and started this 4th.  Life changes caused me to stop.  Now life changes are getting me to begin again.  I'm looking for any information on I can find on my current build.  Kit is Maquettes gerard schmitt, L'Etoile.  I have all the hardware still in bags and I think all the wood components. I only have 3 sets of plans and I'm wondering if there was an instruction book of if I just build from the drawings.  I have attached photos of L'Etoile and also my previous builds.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Tom

IMG_9148.JPG

IMG_9152.JPG

IMG_9158.JPG

IMG_9159.JPG

IMG_9160.JPG

Welcome aboard! Some of my European friends will certainly be better acquainted with this product than I, but I believe that Gerhard Schmidt kits were simply rebranded kits made by other firms, such as Billing Boats. I believe it is this same design that is now being manufactured by Dusek Ship Models, though Dusek has been bringing such older designs up to current manufacturing standards before re-issuing them (we have a review for the Dusek L'Etoile here on the forum). Whether the current Dusek instruction manual would provide any assistance for your older kit I can't say for certain, but perhaps someone else has a better idea on this.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Those are some very nice models, Tom. I hope you will make build logs of your projects. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

From what you show above, it appears that some instructions were included on the plans.  Your post also shows your nicely planked hull so if this were the real ship, she’d be ready to launch.  

Take her to your miniature “ fitting out slip” and finish her per the drawings.  I think that you’ll do fine.

Roger

3 hours ago, Tom Cadman said:

Thanks, not sure what a building log is so I will need to do some research. Thanks for the great feed back

tom

Hi Tom, I'm in Sacramento also.

Go to the MSW home page and scroll down to the Member's Build Logs area for Model Ship from Kits. This is where members can document their the building of their models, ask questions about the particular model they are building and get advice and feedback. It's easy to do and will provide you with great advice and motivation for experienced modelers.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Bob,

I have lived and worked and owned my own business in Sacramento from 1975.  Maybe we could talk by phone about ships and other stuff.  My birthday is Sunday and I'll be 72. I retired 3 months ago and started back 2 days a week to get me out of the house so my wife doesn't kill me.  Where does time go.  Coffee and social distance works for me as well.  Thanks for the MSW information.  I'll check it out and start posting.  

Tom

XXX-XXX-XXXX  Phone number removed by Moderator so you don't get phone spam.   Please the PM to send personal info.  This site like most others on the Web get crawled by bots who suck up all the info they can.

Welcome to MSW, Tom.  I hope you can find the info you need to finish and it looks like you've recieved a lot of help so far.   

Sorry, but I removed your phone number.  Please us a PM to the other person when giving out personal info.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)