Fisher 34 by Geam - 1/12 scale - motorsailer

I've been 'stealing' space on other threads a bit too often lately so it's time offer up info on my scratch build project. I used to own a full size Fisher 34 motorsailer  1986 model  and decided last year that it was time to make a 1/12th size copy. I thought it would take about 6 months to build!  I bought the plywood for the keel and frames  in September last year. The new launch date is  about April 2021. I have come to accept that this build is a sort of 'labour of love'.   I have built a  many different model aircraft and sailplanes through the years but only one or two motorboats in my early teens (55 years ago!)  The build of the Fisher was going a bit slow in the winter/spring so to have a yacht for the summer I built a Krick Comtesse  (mostly ABS plastic !) in the spring and launched that in July.

It would take some time to post a build-blog backdated to sept 2019 and not many will be interested in such a long-winded process so to begin with I will only post a few early photos and a few later photos of the build.  I live in Norway so there's a bit of time difference to many of the other members on this site. 

Regards, George

20191002_153230.jpg

20191002_153137.jpg

20191028_161014.jpg

20200822_173848.jpg

20200813_170923.jpg

20200813_170903.jpg

• 2 months later...

I see that there are two different places where I have written info about  my 'activity'. Did not realise this until this morning! The build of the Fisher  is coming along slowly. A lot more detailwork than I first envisaged -which is usually the case! Posting a few more photos here just to prove that I have not given up. Present phase of construction is preparing and painting 20201108_122239.thumb.jpg.142e1b1b46e03068c8b05e17bc50cff0.jpg20201111_160519.thumb.jpg.9bcfd9e7222f82b6d5fc2bb295eca746.jpgthe wheelhouse front windows, removeable wheelhouse roof and cabin top sections. This process will take until the end of the year I expect.  

20201123_185502.jpg

Looking really good.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

Roof-top sections have now been shaped to the cabin sides and have received curved beams below to form the slight convex shape required. Masts are keel-stepped and have been loose-fitted as a test and to help locate roof tops.  Some detail features still need to be added to the roof-tops...dorade vents, support posts for the teak handrails etc. All 3 prepared 'tops' will soon receive sanding sealer, undercoat and gloss. The method of holding the removeable cabin-tops in place will probably be small hatch-latches and/or strategically placed deck fittings.

Wish all a Merry -and safe- Christmas,

George

20201208_173805.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a seaworthy boat George.

When I'm to old for sailing I might buy a motorboat with such lines 😉

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Fantastic model George! At a proper scale too. Very nice hull and great paint job. Is it enamel paint?

I like the colour of the rubrail, is the wood stained?

Vaddoc

Happy New Year to all, many thanks for kind comments. I see that I have are two threads here on my Fisher project. Haven't quite worked out how that happened but definately my fault! I have also posted info and photos on the Model Boats mag. forum -which is where I started in late 2019.

The Fisher is not 'super' true scale but reasonably close. There are a few places of 'artistic diversion'. 

To answer vaddoc's question ; the paint was a long chapter in itself!  The hull has different layers of paint due to not being pleased with the first painting attempts. What is now visible on the hull -above the waterline- is sprayed-on white acrylic with sprayed-on clear acrylic gloss topcoat. Below the waterline is dark blue cheap-ish yacht paint. It did not self-level well and produced a slightly hammer finnish which I accepted as looking like real anti-fouling ie not perfectly smooth.

Painting of the coach roof sections has been going on for several weeks now. After much trail and error, I have found a top coat gloss which will resemble a gel-coat finnish. This is a Norwegian made enamel paint called Bengalack. It's BRUSHED on,  selv-levels very well and gives a good hard gloss finish. I have known about this paint for years but not thought about using  it until I saw a mention in this forum by 'Carsten' in 'Andreas Sundt's' Colin Archer model build. Pitty it took me so long to find the 'right' paint. It would have saved a lot of  time and money if I have used Bengalack -or a similar good quality enamel from the start. The last gloss coat went on last night 04.01.2021. !

The rubbing strake and the bulwark sideplanking is mahogany strip which has been oiled/saturated a few times with 'Owatrol D1' then varninshed a few times with 'Owatrol D2'. "Owatrol" is Norwegian but the equivalent 'oil-and-varnish' treatment is certainly available in  other marine-wood treatments.

The bulwark capping rail is light ply, stained teak then oiled/varnished as above.  Grab rails on the coach roof sections is obeche strip given the same treatment.  It all takes ages to do😬 

Hope this reply wasn't too long-winded,

George

• 2 years later...

Hi George, 

I have just come across your posts and the video on Youtube.

This has to be the best model yacht I have ever seen.......I have always liked Fishers as my father had a Moody when we were kids and used to see Fishers all the time on the South coast of England.

I wish there were some plans as would love to build this but I am not skilled enough to do from scratch.

Again all credit to you, and what detail, even in the wheelhouse.

I can only dream of being such a competent modeller.

Regards

Joules

• The title was changed to Fisher 34 by Geam - 1/12 scale - motorsailer