Preformed sizing for dead eye installation

I've not yet mastered the proper seizing method...ie pull the end of the thread back in to the thread bundle using the thread loop created.

Instead, I tie the seizing thread around where the rigging loop (different loop) starts...to tie, you can do a reef knot (or a half reef knot, adding a touch of PVA to hold it in place)...then wrap the longer thread strand around the two strands of the rigging loop + the other end of the shorter thread (ie three items just like in proper seizing) and then after 6 or 7 wraps of the longer thread take the shorter thread strand that was being tied and make a reef knot with the longer strand at the far end of the wrap.

That's maybe not the world's best explanation, but I hope it makes some sense.

From a distance it's difficult to tell it's not proper seizing. One day I will master proper seizing.

I tend to use a 3rd hand device to dangle the three lengths from whilst doing the wrapping.

Regards,

Richard

Runnymede,  Thanasis posted something in the modeling tools section that may help you and a lot of us just  a few hours ago as I write this regarding making seizings, and shows these with a deadeye as an example. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• Does anyone remember HUBERT'S "Zipseizings"?  They're a preformed seizing collar made in a group on a wire mandrel, locked with CA , removed and cut to size,  The parts to be seized are threaded through the collar which is then slid into the right position and glued in place.  If you don't like CA that's a problem, but otherwise they  do a good job once you master their making.

CW

I have created a sort of “third hand” for seizing shrouds around dead eyes. I take a small alligator or binder clip and tie a piece off line to it. Cut the line long enough to go up and over the mast head plus a bit more, which you will tie around a small weight. I have used both nuts and fishing sinkers for this.  So you end up with a piece of one with a weight on one end and a clip on the other.

To use this, fit the shroud around the deadeye, fasten the clip to the running end and run the line over the top. As the weight hangs down from the top, it will tension the should, holding it in place around the deadeye. Make your seizing, remove the clip, And cut any excess shroud away. Use the same third hand line on the other shrouds.

Vince

I’ve used Hubert’s seizing and it works very well if you follow the specifics.  He gives very specific sizes for drill bit sizes, etc....Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Vince, as shrouds are usually in pairs, except for the swifter if there are an odd number of shrouds, I am having a hard time envisioning your methodology   Can you post a few pictures?

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Ken; the link I have is  “ship-modeling.ca”...   If you can’t get the info let me know. I can probably find prints of the info needed and post them when I get home tomorrow...Moab

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction:

Moab, it's now a drug pedaling site now. The site was saved on a Pintrest site now, which I'm not a follower.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ken; sorry about the error. My great typing added the dash...Moab

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction:

I'm not a fan of paid sites for info I may not access on more than an occasional basis. Thanks for the efforts for digging the info up.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ken; I totally understand how you feel. I subscribed several years ago and have gotten a great deal of info from the site. Although watching my budget is important I felt the $45 for a lifetime subscription was a good value (for me).

Completed Builds:

Ranger...Corel

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

Under Construction: