Mold on my kit - moved by moderator

jmorgan11

Hello all,

I'm working AL's Harvey.  I bought the kit on Ebay and I'm sure the actual kit is 10 - 15 years old.  I noticed a slight, musty smell when I opened the box for the first time.  Anyway, I'm currently applying the first layer of planking.  I'm using the normal "soak and bend" routine.  I've noticed after the wood dries some small, greenish, blotchy areas.  I'm thinking this might be mold.  

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do about this?  I'm afraid I might have to throw the kit away and I really don't want to do that but I am concerned about my health and my family's.

Thanks,

Jesse

Get new wood for the kit comes to mind first.

If that is not an option for some reason, try adding small amount of vinegar to the soaking water. And when dry sand the area.

Unless the mold is black it usually isn't harmful.  Look up mold on Google for the different kinds and try and identify it.  If the "bad" kind, discard the wood (all of it) and start with fresh wood.  Shouldn't be much of an expense.

Tom

I'm with Tom on this one.... new wood would be my first choice. Vinegar or bleach would be last resort. Spores can survive for a long time and then become active (grow) when in contact with moisture. Black mold is the worst but lots of people have mold allergies etc and can react to any and all molds. I wouldn't give it a thought... that wood would be gone if it were me.

also is it possible the green is the wood color ??  some of the wood can have a green color and I wonder if the wetting just brought out the color that for some reason did not show when dry.

is the color in the wood or is a green growth on top of the wood ?

if you touch the wood is it dry or damp to touch?

if you sand it does it come off or it the color in the wood ?

take a sample and cut it and use a magnifying glass to look at it, mold or fungus should have a surface on the outside of the wood, will look different that the wood fiber structure.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I don't think removing the wood will be an option.  The planking is about 3/4 done and all the planks were attached with wood glue and nails.  I think I would probably damage the model if I try to remove the planks.

I don't think the color is in the wood primarily because each blotchy area is round.  It's darker in the center and lighter around the edges, like a bulls eye.  Also, these areas didn't show up until after the wood was soaked.

-Jesse

OK Jesse

but I would still go on line and try to identify which particular strain of mold it is before handling or touching it.

I had a small patch of mold in one of my clinics after a rain storm.....OSHA made us tear out the entire wall and seal off the exam room while doing so.

The they identified the mold after tearing everything out, turns out it was harmless AFTER THE FACT!

So check it out THEN decide what if anything needs to be done.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.  I hear ya.

My wife already said the model has to go.  She's too freaked out about it especially with the kids.  I don't blame her.  I was just hoping there was some way to kill the mold and save the ship.  Just realized this became a real SOS.  If not, then I'll cut my loses and move on.  Thanks again.

-Jesse

One more thought....

If I do remove the wood planking, won't there be residual glue on the bulkheads that will affect the adherence of new glue?  Even if I sand the bulkheads, won't there still be some glue left in the pores of the wood?  How do you I get around this?

-Jesse

I'm no mold expert Jesse but once the spores are in the wood it will be hard to kill it completely without some kind of pressure to push the vinegar/bleach deep into the fibers. I hate to say it but for marital harmony and such that model is a goner. Sometimes those great ebay deals aren't so great :(

Your latest message just occurred so I'll address that too... I assume you used wood glue? If so, sand it to bare wood and you'll be fine... you want to glue to uncoated wood... and that is the surface that you sand. I have removed parts many times and once sanded back to bare wood, I never had a problem.

One final thought tho... are you sure the rest of the wood is mold free? I would suspect that if the planking boards have mold, probably most have mold and you didn't see it because of not getting it wet to bend.

Jesse - I have lots of spare parts from my Harvey. Let me know which version of the kit you have and what wood you will need to replace and maybe I can help you. I have a spare false keel and a full set of bulkheads. Let me know what you decide to do and I will do my best to help you.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

for planking and other stuff you can get plenty of cut wood.

the bulkheads and keel - does it have a plan sheet that you can copy ?   use that to cut out bulkheads and keel from some blank stock.

not easy but you can do that and not have to mess with the old wood.

make some copies of the plans and use them to guide you on cutting from blank stock.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

I appreciate the offers, guys, but, as Randy said, the whole kit probably has mold spores.  Everything smells kind of musty in the box, therefore, the wife says toss it.  Well, lesson learned for me.   I'll just move onto another kit.

My wife and I just got back from Atlantic City celebrating our 15 year wedding anniversary.  As we were walking the beach, I noticed the life guards rescue boats look just like the Midwest Sea Bright Dory, lettering and all.  So, I'm going to build that for her.

Thanks for all the help,

Jesse

One last thought - you bought it on EBay. There is a product quality guarantee. See if you can get your money back. Also if you are in love with the Harvey I can send you plans, False Keel, Bulkheads, False deck, and much of the strip wood. It is likely I also have much of the fittings. I am sure I have at least 1 spare set of cannons. Hmm now you have me thinking. I should just put together a Harvey kit and ship it to you. Pay for the shipping and it is yours. Let me spend some time this weekend and I will figure out what I don't have for the kit.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Jesse - Please let me know if you were able to salvage anything. Like do you need a copy of the plans? I am doing inventory today and will let you know what I have and what I don't have.

Ok so far I have a complete set of plans and instructions for you. I also have the false deck, false keel, & bulkheads. I have 2 complete sets of cannons and most of the deck furniture. I may be short on deck planking. But I am sure I have enough doweling for the masts & spars. I will continue with the inventory and let you know. Please remind me where are you located? so I calculate shipping. I think I can even supply a white metal crew person at the right scale.

I am guessing you may need to acquire some planking material, that is about all.

Have you looked at my log and some of the discussion regarding errors in this kit? I believe Blackie has even done a better job than I have uncovering errors.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Jesse - I finally completed my inventory. I have a complete kit ready to ship to you. Here is a list of what is missing:

1. Belaying pins - Somehow this kit has no belaying pins.

2. Ships boat - There are no parts other than strip wood for the ships boat.

3. Wood filler blocks - both bow and stern should have blocks to terminate the hull planking. They are missing.

Extras:

1. It includes 3 White metal Crew + 1 officer that need to be painted.

2. Swivel guns

3. Extra cannons.

4. Extra lumber

So I should back up and explain. I first bought this model more that 20 yrs ago. It has gone thru at least 2 moves. Along the way some pieces got lost or damaged. So when another kit came available on Ebay I bought it. The ebay kit was missing parts too. This contributed to a very low price. Lucky for me the missing parts were different from the parts I was short on. So mostly I had 2 complete kits. As you can see from my log on this kit I am bashing it quite a bit. So that has yielded even more extra parts. The result is I can ship you a kit which is almost complete.

PS I will ship in original box complete with box art.

I should also mention that my original kit was designed for 2 layers of planking for the hull and the Ebay kit was designed for 1 layer. Your kit does not have the first layer of hull planking in Basswood. But it does have it in Walnut!

So far I am out the cost of copying the Plans (which I shall ship in a mailing tube separately - so no creases) which is $30. I need you to PM me with an address so I can find out the shipping cost to you. Besides all the above I am willing to part with everything for $40. in my pocket. Beside everything you send me will end up being spent at Chuck's store. :P I hope you see this as reasonable. I also hope the Forum Police will not get mad at me for mentioning money here. I am just trying to clear out my excess stock and help out a fellow modeler. And maybe make enough money for more goodies from Chuck.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Floyd,

No anger from member of the Forum Police. Just a feeling that this is greatest site to be in and it's filled with good people helping other good people.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys. I guess if Jesse doesn't answer in a couple weeks I will just offer this kit to any member of MSW for the same deal. Basically I want $70.00 plus shipping cost. Beside I have scored great points with the Admiral! We are reducing stock in my work shop!