MicroMark Titanium Chisels

I was thinking about asking for a set of the new MicroMark titanium chisels for Christmas but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?  Are they good quality?  Do they keep their edge? Are you able to sharpen them?  Any users’ experiences with them would be much appreciated!

Ive got a complete set as a gift earlier in the year.   They are good, but I think perhaps a bit overpriced.    They do come very sharp, have good build quality but I do not trust the steel as it seems run of the mill and I would not expect the edge to hold long, especially if working something harder than basswood.  As small as they are it might be nothing to hone them up from time to time, but will need to be extra careful when sharpening.   There really isn't much to them at the cutting edge, so one could easily go too far if they were inexperienced on sharpening stones.  

I use mine very occasionally for when no other tool can be used or if I need to just trim somewhere delicate.  Though I do find that I reach for my flexcut micro chisels more often, and these if I need longer reach.   These are not heavy use tools in my opinion.   

I assume that “titanium” refers to titanium alloy steel, not pure titanium?

For steel to be useful for cutting it must be hardenable, by heat treatment.  In the past this required a high carbon content in the iron alloy.  Within the past 40 or so years low carbon steel alloys have been developed that can be heat treated to very high strengths.  This is done by adding small amounts of elements like titanium.  These are commonly known as microalloyed steels or in the industry vernacular, “addition of BatS&@$.”

These steels are strong but tough and exhibit much better ductility at low temperatures than the old high carbon steels.  Chisels do not require enhanced cold weather properties and increased toughness can make sharpening difficult.  I would rather have edge tools with easily sharpened blades made from the old high carbon steels.  I suspect that this is a marketing gimmick by MicroMark.

20 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

I assume that “titanium” refers to titanium alloy steel, not pure titanium?

I actually think the only thing titanium is the handle, but don't know enough about it.    According to the website:

"Expertly crafted from premium Japanese and French stainless steels and combined with titanium..."     

The blade stock feels like stainless, no different than their earlier series - just now with an upgraded handle.  I had assumed the handle was what made them "Titanium."

I, too, prefer a high-carbon steel which is why I often reach for my flexcut stuff or make what I need from hacksaw steel.

Josh, If you are going to buy a quality set of chisels and spend this kind of money, you will find rave reviews from many members here, including me, for the chisels from Mihail Kirsanov.   If these are of interest PM me and I can forward his direct email as it is not a good idea to put  an email address in these posts per recommendations from the moderators. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU