America by Sterlingclements - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/48

Those look really good..   If I were going to shoot for any improvement, it would be a more uniform size. 

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi Sterlingclements,

beautiful and excellent built "America". I love the sights into the ship

Well done !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

On 6/8/2024 at 5:41 AM, Gregory said:

Those look really good..   If I were going to shoot for any improvement, it would be a more uniform size. 

Agreed, uniformity made a big difference in second batch. I don't have a paper slicer, so I set up a makeshift jig to cut consistent slices.

Posted (edited)

I did not like the result of painting the Britannia metal fittings black. So I decided to chemically blacken them instead. Very satisfied. Here is a before picture, after filing off the rough edges. One hawse hole unfiled for comparison, lower right. Second pic is one bath in oxidizer. Third pic is after a second bath.

A light coat of clear matte poly sealed the color.

PXL_20240614_000718715.MP.jpg

PXL_20240614_002743201.MP.jpg

PXL_20240614_014544951.MP.jpg

Edited by Sterlingclements

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Main boom is nearly complete, with reef tackle/cheek blocks, cleats, topping lift block and main sheet bridle installed. I also temporarily affixed the main boom to the mast so I could rig the main sheet triple/double/single block assembly connected to the mainsheet horse. Some pics below.

Note: the kit only supplies three triple blocks, but the plans indicate the need for five total. Fig. 31 below shows three triple block leads, but there are two each of the throat and peak halyards. One could argue only the main throat halyard needs a triple, but both peak halyards definitely need a triple. 

PXL_20240704_014039730.jpg

PXL_20240704_014057635.jpg

PXL_20240704_014928112.jpg

PXL_20240704_014943567.MP.jpg

PXL_20240704_035050863.jpg

PXL_20240704_035120067.jpg

PXL_20240704_035201444.MP.jpg

PXL_20240704_035240644.jpg

PXL_20240703_224354730.MP.jpg

Posted (edited)

Cap rail is also nearing completion, reaching from the bow to just aft of the saloon skylight at this point. Getting the angle of each segment is painstakingly slow, but I am pretty satisfied with the results. I cut and shape the aft end of each segment, line up the next piece under it, then trace the outline onto the fore of the next piece. Six segments per side so far. I've included a close up of one joint below.

PXL_20240704_045727239.jpg

PXL_20240704_050253022.MP.jpg

Excellent progress as always!   I also recall that the number of various types of blocks in the kit did not exactly match the plans.  Fortunately I planned out ahead where I'd use which blocks and just substituted doubles for the throat halyards.  The cap rail is looking great.  I did far fewer segments.  I am not sure though, I might have substituted some of my own wider wood strip so that I could do more with each piece.  But your cap rail joinery is excellent.  I assume you'll put tung oil on the cap rail like on the deck....that will really make it look nice.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

1 hour ago, gsdpic said:

Excellent progress as always!   I also recall that the number of various types of blocks in the kit did not exactly match the plans.  Fortunately I planned out ahead where I'd use which blocks and just substituted doubles for the throat halyards.  The cap rail is looking great.  I did far fewer segments.  I am not sure though, I might have substituted some of my own wider wood strip so that I could do more with each piece.  But your cap rail joinery is excellent.  I assume you'll put tung oil on the cap rail like on the deck....that will really make it look nice.

Thanks for the kind words Gary. I was not satisfied with my mast hoops, so I placed an order with Bluejacket for some that they offer. I included two more triple blocks in that order, along with a replacement bow sprit cap iron. I ruined the original trying to drill a hole in it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Cap rail is complete. I had temporarily fastened it to the timberheads as I created each segment, to ensure the correct curvature. I them removed the fully connected assembly so I could sand the angles at the joints for smooth curve. I was then ready to permanently attach. Pics below, including the tung oil finish.

PXL_20240714_172332614.jpg

PXL_20240715_033441033.jpg

PXL_20240715_033418887.jpg

PXL_20240715_034905874.MP.jpg

The look from above confirms again and again how good choice on which planks to omit you made. I would almost forgive the kit that it does not include proper individual frames plan. What a shame it is not available in Europe, I would go for one, but postage and duties sum for overseas order is too high.

Splendid work, thanks for sharing.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

• 2 weeks later...

Main boom installed. I made the main boom goose neck out of brass, blackened with oxidizer. Spider bands and mast hoops installed as well. All 8 chainplates installed, ready for some standing rigging. I wanted to try my hand at serving. First attempt by hand was tedious and not nearly tight enough. I bought a hand crank serving machine....much easier and cleaner with that. First machine attempt on a shroud eye shown below. 

PXL_20240728_020530216.MP.jpg

PXL_20240728_021355401.jpg

PXL_20240728_014631872.jpg