America by Sterlingclements - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/48

I am considering my next model. I have the plans for this Schooner from the Smithsonian. I also have access to a CNC router. I have already modeled her in CAD. I have been trying to decide between this kit and just doing it myself from scratch. Can you tell me what you like and what you don't like about this kit? Looks like you had a lot of extra work to do with the framing.

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

2 hours ago, fnkershner said:

I am considering my next model. I have the plans for this Schooner from the Smithsonian. I also have access to a CNC router. I have already modeled her in CAD. I have been trying to decide between this kit and just doing it myself from scratch. Can you tell me what you like and what you don't like about this kit? Looks like you had a lot of extra work to do with the framing.

Yes, the frames took a ton of work. They were made from a solid hull that is then sliced like bread to make individual frames The solid hull looks like it was machine milled. The milling of the interior was off center, causing the frames to be very unsymmetrical. However, once I got the frames to my liking, the rest of the build has been great. Additionally, scratch building the frames is beyond my skill level at this time, so this was still the best kit for me. If you plan on fully planking the model, you are probably better off with bulkheads versus frames. I love the kit especially for the deck beam assemblies as they look fantastic, and I do not plan to fully plank so I wanted the authentic frame look.

I have not decided whether I will go for bulkheads or frames. But I don't like the idea of all that chiseling. Like you I don't have the skills, but I have an ace up my sleeve. The CNC will cut or carve any wood that is 4 ft X 4 ft by 2 inches. And my CAD Software has a feature that it will create slices from a solid. I can specify how many slices and the thickness of each. From your feedback, I think the best path for me is to buy the plans and maybe the fittings. I will supply my own wood and do my own design. Thanks!

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 3 weeks later...

Waterways installed, sheer caps installed on stern and most of port side. Starboard side is not far behind. Sheer caps at the stern will also be trimmed down once I start hull planking. First deck planks installed under bowsprit and bitts.

PXL_20220225_020813071.jpg

PXL_20220225_020822347.jpg

PXL_20220225_020711008.MP.jpg

Edited by Sterlingclements

Well done!!   Seeing a framed model of a schooner is a pleasure especially considering your beautiful workmanship.

Looking forward to the next post.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I wasn't sure the wider ones would look good. Thanks for the validation! I just built the forward skylight. The plans called for a round base with eight vanes, so I thought an octagonal base would be a good choice instead. I tested it with some scrap boxwood first. It looked decent, so I made it in mahogany. It came out pretty well. Tung oiled version in last two pics.

PXL_20220301_055026693.MP.jpg

PXL_20220301_054827131.jpg

PXL_20220301_054757222.MP.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More deck furniture work. Turning 15 inches of 28 gauge steel wire into 30 straight pieces for the aft skylight. I also used my new mini table saw to make dado cuts for the skylight housing corner posts, barely visible if you zoom in on the first pic below.PXL_20220321_030558608.thumb.jpg.0477c0d6fda09f5e1ea5265dab2f3b1e.jpg

PXL_20220321_031500311.MP.jpg

PXL_20220321_031838110.MP.jpg

PXL_20220321_060148315.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just picked back up on this build, after an almost 2 year break to care for my father in-law. Planking is going well,  some pics below. I am only partially planking so frames, sheer/bilge clamps, deck beams, etc. can all be displayed. That's why the top most rows of planks end at frame 27 aft. Same with planks at the bow. Rudder post and rudder dry fitted. Lots of sanding in my future still.PXL_20240207_064057536_MP.thumb.jpg.740411d55ecd78b1501eb631a7515c93.jpgPXL_20240207_064440746.thumb.jpg.0b9dbc74750d6fe19da80ea634fba050.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@MrBlueJacket Thanks Nic! Here are a few more pics. Sanding of the hull is complete, waste wood from keel has been removed, bowsprit with sheave installed, rudder post installed. Rudder, some of the deck furniture and mast dry fitted. Sometimes I like a preview of the finished product. There's also a close up of the tiller, hand carved. 

PXL_20240309_195112361.jpg

PXL_20240309_195844840.jpg

PXL_20240309_195932158.MP.jpg

PXL_20240309_195552568.jpg

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Slow going, but making progress. Last bit of planking along bulwarks/timberheads complete. I had to order some 1/32" by 1/2" basswood strips for that, as that top plank is inset slightly from the lower planking. Also started the decking in earnest. This is my first attempt at nibbling, and you can see it at the bow if you zoom in. Fine sanding still needed. Also started on the cap rail segments. Final shaping on the cap rail will smooth out the angles.

PXL_20240411_000349756.MP.jpg

PXL_20240411_000617485.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been studying this and other America's build logs - have been considering as an option for me. Reading all the build logs, it seems that the frame alignment is the common issue due to rough, often asymmetrical shape. Do the kit plans show no 1:1 individual frame shape, so it would be possible to use them a s a template for exact shaping? I see each modeler takes its own approach how to cope with this challenge, but I would expect that proper profile drawing would be a must for POF model. Having not seen the actual plans, am not sure what to expect and whether I shall venture into this particular kit. Thanks for sharing any info on that in advance.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

@juhu as I recall there are no drawings in the plans of the individual frames.   I am not sure if there were any sort of lines drawing on the plans.  The frames did require a fair amount of tweaking to get things lined up but it was not insurmountable.   But it perhaps was a bit more of an exercise of "that looks good, looks reasonable" and not an exercise of "that is the exact correct shape".

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

@juhu There are five detailed cross section views that roughly correspond to frames 2, 6, 15, 23 and 31. There are also 10 half-section outlines, 5 bow port side and 5 stern starboard, but there are not plans for each frame. The included plans were good guidelines, but did not really match the supplied frames very well. It is definitely more a matter of "looks good, looks reasonable" as @gsdpic said. For me, making them symmetrical first was more important. Once symmetrical, I didn't mind if the overall shape was slightly different than the plans. No one knows what the real America's exact lines were anyway. So I'm just going to assume my model's lines are dead on b**ls accurate (that's an industry term) to the original.

Latest update: decking is completed forward the break in the deck. I couldn't find any examples of partially planked decks online, so I went with what I thought would look good. Full planking to frame 5, but then progressively staggered open deck further aft. The nibbling was time consuming, but very satisfied with the results. Deck furniture installed as well. Finished with tung oil. I need to tou to h up the paint on the capstan. Aft of the break is next. The first pic  below shows the difference the tung oil makes, compared to the color of unfinished aft section.

PXL_20240505_050430880.MP.jpg

PXL_20240505_055348359.MP.jpg

PXL_20240505_055413974.MP.jpg

PXL_20240505_055421282.MP.jpg

Thanks a lot for responses. Probably I would not dare to go for this kit, but your build is impressive. I think the way you decided to left some parts of the deck planking off is very eye-catching.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Very nice update.  Your joinery, especially considering it is bass wood, is very precise.  You are justified to be very satisfied with the nibbling, it looks great.  That is something I did not even attempt.   And I like the way you have chosen to do the reveal on the deck.   For reference, below is a picture I took of the America on display in the Bluejacket store from when I visited back in 2017.   They did not reveal quite as much as you have.

IMG_0454.JPG.38ae64451e06e548a2469435d3b339ce.JPG

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry