America by Sterlingclements - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/48

• 10 months later...

Long time since last post. frames finally ready/symmetrical. Bearding line chiseled in. As seen on @gsdpic's build log, the laser etched lines are way off. Not only is spacing for frames too wide, the rabbet line was set way too low. See picture, I had to sand down between frames N and M to make the garboard plank fit correctly to the bearding line. See the difference between frames M&L. Roughly a 1/16th to 1/8th inch difference. I will have to sand down all the remaining notches to match.

PXL_20211103_040516144.jpg

Edited by Sterlingclements

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I missed this build log until now.  Looks like you are off to a great start.  That framing jig looks like a lot of work but I am sure it will serve you well, and reduce the stress of gluing the frames to the keel.  The aft skylight deck beam assembly looks great....I remember really enjoying that part of the build.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

• 2 weeks later...

All deck beam assemblies complete, with the exception of the cockpit assembly, which is the most complex one. It is under construction at the moment. Thanks to gsdpic's log, I took extra care drilling and mostly sanding the various holes. Pretty satisfied with the results. I plan on leaving the deck partially unplanked, but do plan to plank the center rows....about as wide as the mast pads.

PXL_20211208_061234883.jpg

At long last, after checking each measurement multiple times and  dry fitting deck-beam assemblies to verify timberhead heights, I began glueing the frames to the keel. I started with frame 18, just fore the break in the deck, and worked my way forward through frame 1. I took my time making sure that the frames were not only square to keel/horizontal but were also symmetrical in height port/starboard and in width from center line to outboard edge. Results pictured below, including temporary installation of sheer clamp so I can further check planking fit and complete any touch-up fairing as needed. I also included pictures dry fitted deck-beam assemblies and a few keel-line views.

16397820110112996415990035966454.jpg

16397821183797641088885931530121.jpg

PXL_20211217_224558002.jpg

PXL_20211217_224625189.MP.jpg

PXL_20211217_224635050.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

very nice hullbuilding Sterlingclements,

looks like you have chosen a good and recomenable kit, congrats

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

8 hours ago, dcicero said:

Just curious what kind of surface prep you did on the companionway before applying the tung oil.  I've always liked the look of that finish and yours looks great!

Dan

Just progressive sanding, with final sanding using 400 grit. Then apply tung oil with a lint free cloth, rub it in like car wax. In the above pic, the sill piece directly aft of the companion way doors (and fore the cockpit grating) is dry, no tung oil, for a good comparison of what a difference the finish makes. Both sill and companionway are made from the same piece of mahogany stock.