PT 109 by popeye the sailor - Dumas

hey there folks :)    wish I had something to report on this project,  but I'm not quite there yet to continue.  it'll be sanding the deck and paint......that will be a big jump, then I can get the main structures on the hull.  I do have a bit of a funny for you though.  a few weeks ago,  I was browsing through the old model kits website.......I don't usually go all the way to the end of his list,  but this time I did.  I couldn't believe what I saw.......a hardware kit for the Dumas PT 109.........a 3 pack!  the price was an even bigger eye opener........$19.00!  I showed it to the admiral and she agreed that I'd be a fool not to get it.  so I did,  and received it in a very timely manner {they are pretty good about things,  but they do have their hiccups}.   now bear in mind,  that the hardware kits I got for the 109 cost me around $40 bucks a whack....so I spent #80.   what I got was a package about half the length of the ones I originally bought {around 5 inches long}.......the plastic bag cloudy from handling.  the label on the package too looked to be rather old.

182873779_1.jpg.33b0e20b5c75e5c831c8e859dd86d541.jpg

it suggests to me that Dumas offered a smaller scale PT Boat at one time.........my research has uncovered nothing so far.   the parts inside further suggests this as well.

1106708029_2.jpg.f6a60056d78531258ff39e814e01fd8a.jpg

1344432205_3.jpg.8b4fee4ed644eed0ccfb67abd0eb1aa6.jpg

this is what I got.........there are no shafts for the rudders.   I'm sure they could be used for R/C,  but unless the hull is a thin skin,  I doubt that the rudders could be made functional..........tough at best.   it's not a bad sale or total loss........I'm sure that they will come in handy at some point.  keen to note as well,  that there are two left handed and one right handed prop.  so they will go into my inventory until needed.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

coming right along , ya you have to watch the cutting things, they never land where you want them to, besides the old school label the 109 with /1  might indicate age.  anyway looking good.

Current Build:   Not a ship 

Completed Builds:   Mississippi River Boat OcCre 1:80

Bluenose, Model Shipways 1:48

Rattlesnake, Model Shipways 1:64

Dumas # 1233  PT Boat,  Wood, 1:30 

1914-1918 US Army Mule drawn Ambulance 1:16 

I think what you may have gotten was the DISPLAY prop set for the kit Denis.

These are not the props and running gear intended for RC, but the ones that would be scale for this model. There are three because the real ship had three along with the three rudders. I think they are just intended to be stuck into the hull and will not move after glued into place. Remember the real boats had something like 28 or 29" props, (I forgot which) and were all right hand drive. (The one thing that Dumas got wrong in this set). That would make them 1" or less at this scale. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

in relation to the scale of this model Lou,  I'm not to sure about that........but I welcome all extra parts ;) 

thanks Mike :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Great build so far! Gonna be following the progress. I'm new to the forum, have been doing RC cars since the mid 80's, started planes and helis a few years ago, picked up the PT 109 for my first boat build, will be setting up up for RC with a single prop, looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.

• 1 year later...

thank you good sir.  I'm not opposed to anyone posting pictures of their work,  so if you have a picture of yours.........love to see it :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: