Half Hull Planking Kit by DGerth - NRG - 1:48

Taking a short break from the Harvey build until the wood I ordered arrives. I had planned to build the half hull before I started the second planking layer on the Harvey - I'd really like to do it right!

Kit arrived in perfect shape, and I printed out the instruction manual. I've been reading through Toni's build log and think I'm ready to go.

1169367581_HalfHull-1.jpg.42917fafbe00f3d9098a0b94ec42adf0.jpg

I mounted the plan sheet to the recommended foam board using Elmer's spray adhesive. No wrinkles

682078316_HalfHull-2.jpg.899a1affb0e13a48824c6f41e0ac7e20.jpg

Started sanding the laser char off of the pieces. It looks like I will need to trim the stemson to get it to align with the bulkhead locations. Has anyone else found that? 

942675423_HalfHull-3.jpg.e1ea522d2ebd053e9b3c278e2b53270f.jpg

Will keep on sanding...

that's all for now.

Update on the build. I've got the rabbet cut, and the parts glued together and to the paper. I used a needle file for the 45 degree sections, and a razor blade to carve the 90 degree sections. I deepened the slots by drawing a guide line 1/16th" below the end of the slot, then used an Xacto chisel to cut the sides. The bottoms I cut out with a #11 blade. I deviated from the instructions by deepening the slots prior to gluing the parts to the board. In retrospect, I probably could have done it after gluing, but having the keelson separate gave me better access for squaring the bottom. I still need to deepen the slots in the fore keelson, so I'll have both methods under my belt. I understand why the slots weren't cut to full depth - I had to be extremely careful not to break the keelson!

Rabbet cut, parts ready to glue. They don't look tight, but I kept bumping them out of alignment!

254583223_HalfHull-4.jpg.8f41984ebe5b76d3dd52c2995da06806.jpg

Parts glued, getting ready to cut out and sand the bulkheads.

170759381_HalfHull-5.jpg.c1e390587c693a16ad5a9d4108e89b7d.jpg

Bulkheads E through 4 sanded, test fitting in slots. This took me about 50 minutes.

19740657_HalfHull-6.jpg.6b5826d4205b5aef0cf2cf487396314d.jpg

Some bulkheads are pretty loose, so I will need to shim. I'm also thinking of reinforcing the keelson by laminating a strip between the bulkheads to provide more gluing surface. 

That's all for now!

• 2 weeks later...

Back to work. I've actually been working on the kit, just haven't had time to post. Got the bulkheads glued in, looking pretty good so far. everything appears square.

Half_Hull-7.jpg.9133fa654c88e813e3b5908784e2ceef.jpgHalf_Hull-8.jpg.23f101ec69aca89ad4dbf3fa7b5e3238.jpg

Stern bulkheads completed. I decided to attach the transom now. Will obviously need to do quite a bit of fairing at the deadwood/keel junctions.

Half_Hull-9.jpg.d198bd54b8ed57294f1ac7c0035bebb1.jpg

As I feared, cutting the slots in the fore keelson while glued caused some damage to the paper/foam substrate. I don't think I cut them deep enough to provide a smooth transition into the rabbet. Will work to fix that during the fairing.

Half_Hull-10.jpg.50fbd37abbe03c6651706791712533fb.jpg

Half_Hull-12.jpg.702a317b5902b003a8545ff623f5ec2b.jpg

Here she is, ready to start the fairing. I think I will have a little trouble transferring the wales to the bulkheads as the stiffeners are directly over the lines at the bow. Should have anticipated that, will try to mark as many as I can and eyeball the line with tape.

Half_Hull-11.jpg.6949fcc2d7415809172e92df8c141608.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Dgerth
pictures out of order

May I curse you Dgerth?😉

I have been looking into this half model for a long time and has said to myself  -  "Don't buy it, don't buy it - you have to many to finish as it is".

You didn't make it easier for me, your instructions are well written along with modifications. 
Thus on top of a great half kit without rigging..... it's a model I can have displayed in my hallway....

Now I curse you...... order was placed! LOL!😆    But that will be for the better good, supporting what I believe in, Models coming from true designers that will paid for what they have designed and also supporting the Great organization of NRG.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Dgerth, ignore the grumbling moderator: he will get over it  😆 and probably make a great model.

Your log has helped me with that 'get-on-with-it' moment as I have had this on the shelf for a few months. Time to sweep off the only warm work bench and exdigitate. 

Thanks for the insight into the rabbet-line.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks Bruce, and Nirvana, I understand. This is really a great little kit, and not only for the planking. The whole exercise of cutting the rabbet and seeing how it works together with the bulkheads is eye-opening for someone like me with little building experience.

I’m toying with the idea of removing one of the forward stiffeners to let me get a wale location mark, then re-installing. Shouldn’t be too hard, and lesson learned.

Dan

to be continued...

Transferring the sheer line. Instead of using the machinist's square, I used a drafting triangle. I liked it because it was easier to maneuver in the tight spaces, easier to judge the alignment with the line on the plans, and I could see through it. I'm thinking about using an Xacto #13 saw blade to cut the majority of the waste, and use a sanding stick for final adjustment. Cut down on sanding dust also!

Half_Hull-13.jpg.ec4eec95a947774e347c894c39ce5dbf.jpg

It looks like I was a little overzealous in sanding one of the bulkheads, so I will graft an extension on and sand it back a little more carefully. Then, on to fairing!

To be continued...

Dan

Edited by Dgerth
Spelling error

Dan,

Your build log is very good and inspiring, thank you.

I am excited to have this kit in my hand very soon.

As I mentioned in post #5 I placed the order.

Here is what is going on with that one, this is directly from USPS.

January 20, 2021, 10:16 am
USPS in possession of item
WESTMONT, IL 60559 

January 22, 2021, 7:08 am
Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery Between 2:15pm and 4:15pm
CENTRALIA, WA 98531

So with that USPS is working well.

Now back to your build log.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Glad to see you pulled the trigger; you will have fun. It's not a paint-by-numbers kit, you will need to think through some steps. I recommend reading through Toni's log many times, as well as the instructions. I would probably do some steps out of order, like transferring the wale and sheer lines before adding the stiffeners. Make sure you deepen the slots for the bulkheads enough to make a smooth transition to the rabbet. Cut those slots after gluing to the base, but be very careful. They won't leave much on the keelson after you're done.

Stay safe!

Dan

I got the sheer line sanded in and faired. For the bulk sanding I used my Dremel with a sanding drum on the flexible shaft, and worked it very carefully. I was glad I had the sheer lines on the sides of the bulkheads to act as a guide. When I got very close, I switched to a sanding stick. For final sanding, I used a sanding stick with only one-half covered in sandpaper. I could use it to check the fairing as I went, with the front half sanding the next bulkhead(s) and the back half serving as a batten to maintain the line without sanding. Bukhead "A" will need a little extending, but not a whole lot.

Half_Hull-18.jpg.f0862b6c686d7fe3d5de4c19dcd9891a.jpg

I was thinking about the wale marking problem, and came up with an idea that should help with just about all the problem areas. It involves using two machinist's squares as follows:

Bring one in from the front and align with the wale line on the planHalf_Hull-15.jpg.f3eef38a5d17791d5cb2cfe8791fba13.jpg

Slide the other one in from the keel side until they meet:

Half_Hull-16.jpg.274bd3e7d35d02b0f2e224332ad2b995.jpg

Keep it up against the bulkhead. The other square will ensure it stays plumb. And now mark the wale position on the bulkhead (of course, after the fairing is complete!)

Half_Hull-17.jpg.d6543a1eeda6f67467507956e081c657.jpg

And now onto the fairing....sand, sand, sand, etc.

Stay safe!

Oh! - Nirvana - did you get your kit?

Dan

Edited by Dgerth
typo

Dan, 

Your build log along with others will certainly help me building this half hull.
This kit should be on every ones list to build as number one.

Will certainly give you all the skills needed for building a full kit.  

As for my kit, yes it arrived two days after placing the order (same evening I gave you hard time.... 😉) hope you didn't took it wrong.

USPS did a remarkable and fantastic job shipping from IL to WA in two days. That's impressive!

See post #9.

Respectfully

Nirvana:

No, I took it in the spirit it was intended, got a little laugh out of it. It is impressive that they were able to deliver it in such a short time frame.

I agree, this should be up there as a must do for anyone starting out - and as a nice refresher for others!

Take care,

Dan

Well, no photos, just a short update. I have found out that I really stink at fairing. After several hours of sanding, I have had to repair numerous errors - mostly oversanding. I had to step away for a bit in frustration, but have gotten back on the horse and am making some progress. I have learned a lot, which is the whole point I guess! 🙄

Back to work! I believe I have faired the hull pretty darned close - even though I had to rebuild a few bulwarks and use some filler at the stern. The stern area looks rough, but it's not that bad. Ugh, what a mess!

Half_Hull-19.jpg.49d89f74db2b16ae2f2f18a9e99de620.jpg

Half_Hull-20.jpg

I have marked the wale location, and upon closer examination, I think I have the counter angled incorrectly.

Half_Hull-21.jpg.46eafac08c8fdff1dc2ef60f9d1d2482.jpg

The stern is one area that I wish the instructions were a little more clear:

1 Correct orientation of the Transom,

2 Correct angle for the counter

After checking the anticipated plank ends, I think I can work with this. I'll check again - I'm not afraid to disassemble and reassemble if necessary.

Started the garboard plank:

Half_Hull-22.jpg.017f609445204f4c6209c64a7fe4c812.jpg

Half_Hull-23.jpg.0ce0e68fbcaca11ff3b9b79a6e10f6ef.jpg

Fits pretty well! On to the fore garboard, then the broad strake.

to be continued!

Dan

Edited by Dgerth
picture in wrong place

Progress tonight, finished fitting the garboard and broad strakes. It was not as bad as I feared (fairing was more difficult)

Half_Hull-24.jpg.ffb760e40ab06282ad3400067e68c6c2.jpg

Looks pretty dirty right now, should clean up after a light sanding (it looks better in person). I am planning to paint the keel, stem, sternpost, wale, trim and rails black. I'm using a graphite drawing pencil to simulate the caulk between planks, and it does tend to "spread out" a little. The planks actually fit pretty tight; I'm beveling the bottom of each new plank. As an experiment, I fit a plank before and after beveling. Beveling makes a significant improvement in the fit. Now comes the fun - laying out the planking belts.

I have been using 1/16" graphic tape as a layout aid, but I don't like it. It doesn't stick, and thus my lines are sloppy. I am going to switch to black thread, remark the wale, and use it to lay out the planking bands. I'll use pins to stretch it out over the hull.

to be continued...

Dan

Dan, when it comes to caulk simulation, do some testing first as many graphite pencils will smear upon touch. 

Don't ask me how I know....😁

Respectfully

Dan,

I found an art pencil at Michael's I haven't tried on wood yet. 

But when using it on paper and then adding finger to "smooth" the area - no smudging! If this will work in wood I will let everyone know the brand and pencil to go for.

Respectfully

Dan, 

My test was a 100% success.

This is the pencil I am recommending, it covers the area completely after a couple of runs and no smudging at all.

Prismacolor Premier Black, PC935 part no. 070735033635 available at Michael's nut probably at many other places.

Respectfully

Back to work (had some honey-dos to take care of).... I removed some of the stiffeners and remarked the wale location on the bulkheads. Lesson learned - I don't think I'll worry about completely removing the laser char; the glue I used (Elmer's carpenter glue) was tenacious. Took quite a lot to remove the stiffeners! I then marked the run with black thread. Worked much better than the chart tape I had previously used. Marks are still pretty ugly, but the thread helps greatly.

Half_Hull-25.jpg.b9bf2066241db20bd681c81ae909bd84.jpg

I transferred the bulkhead positions and marks to Tamiya tape and connected the dots with a ship's curve. My father was a draftsman and I inherited some of his drafting equipment - Never thought I'd use it!

Half_Hull-26.jpg.939801d835b10c670a85330015aa54b9.jpg

I used a compass set at the the plan width of 0.28" to mark a parallel for the upper line, cut it out, and sanded the edges. I decided to attach the wale prior to starting the planking. My rationale was that it would provide a much more clear line to work from.  Since the bow is an extreme curve, I soaked it and clamped it in place overnight. I still need to do some final sanding on it, but it shouldn't take much.

Half_Hull-27.jpg.feca7df8e1f92fc2e2b61eaaf5937650.jpg

I'll make the stern wale next using the same procedure. I did save the tapes to make the second layer of the wale planks!

Nirvana - thanks for the pencil recommendation! I found out one of the reasons mine smeared so much is that it was designed to do that when rubbed with a wet cloth - which is what I was doing to clean up some glue squeeze-out. Duh.

to be continued...

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back to work! I've been busy, but have been sneaking in half hour sessions every now and then. I've marked the planking belts, lined out the planks using a planking fan and tic strips, and have been planking the lower belt. It takes me about 15 - 20 minutes to make a plank. Of course, I have made some mistakes and had to redo about 20% at first, but I'm getting better!

Half_Hull-28.jpg.f74fac4545baf2ecbaab52f3e3c8d36d.jpg

Marking the belts. The thread worked much better than the tape!

Half_Hull-29.jpg.8fcd9d9d32ebd53b1e30d005daa88538.jpg

My tic strips and planking fan.

Half_Hull-30.jpg.662dd2ab2949603450a9b03ae64b7c61.jpg

Plank width marked out on each bulkhead. The red marks are the belt markers.

Half_Hull-31.jpg.d178e41575de3f1e181fa9842d3d4a70.jpg

Laying out the location for the stealer. I added a brace to give some gluing surface as indicated in the instructions, then marked the half width point as the front end of the stealer.

Half_Hull-32.jpg.35b1a263572b6fbff1c154664c780650.jpg

I also measured the width of the middle belt at bulkhead F and the sternpost. They were pretty close to the same width, despite all my super-accurate marking! I was also relieved to see that I have 5 rows in the lower belt, as does Toni.

Half_Hull-33.jpg.79dde80da6fb88e7dd3d19419157aa24.jpg

Getting close, one and one-half plan runs to go.

Half_Hull-34.jpg.4cbe6b4bd2a677daed068aa501ad5c56.jpg

Fitting pretty good at the stem. The dust is from a light pass with some sandpaper. Nowhere near finished sanding, just wanted to see how the pencil lines would show up and clean off a little glue residue.

Will finish up the lower belt, then start working on the stealer.

To be continued...

Dan

Dan, that's starting to look like a half hull. Nice job.

Respectfully

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay, been otherwise occupied. I have not, literally or figuratively, given up the ship.

Got the stealer and drop planks in, they weren't as hard as I had feared.After laying out the stealer, it went in per plan

Half_Hull-35.jpg.56a3a580f7b453ce653962d5b2f640e3.jpg 

Next I cut the upper plank 

Half_Hull-36.jpg.348cc549319d27e44d694682739736a9.jpg

and glued it in place. Sorry, but no pics of the drop plank up front. I continued on to complete the middle planking belt.

Half_Hull-37.jpg.916980a388b01448b74e026f2a1f8f31.jpg

Half_Hull-38.jpg.5c93120ed592216c524e361d150ed40d.jpg

Half_Hull-39.jpg.4392827f9a631de93997955e4fd50a07.jpg

Obviously, I have some sanding to do! Ignore the upper area, I have been doing some reconstruction there after realizing what a lousy job I did fairing the bulkheads. Mostly gluing on extra wood so I can sand it down to where it should be. That's next, before I start the upper belt. 

After I get things straightened out, I'll lay out the upper belt, get that in, place the wale, and move on from there.

I think my biggest frustration so far has been cutting the planks to the correct angle to fit into the stem rabbet. I finally settled on making a paper template for that end of each plank and carefully sanding it to fit. Too bad it took me so long to figure that out.

I am seriously thinking about buying another one of these kits, and using what I've learned to make it better!

To be continued...

dan