I started a build log some months ago on the 18th Century Armed Longboat 1/24 scale, but have only been able to work on it very sporadically. I'm having trouble making templates for the cap rails. I think my build of the boat probably isn't up to par with other builds, such that the hull is not level from bow to stern, making it hard to trace a good line of its upper perimeter. The cap rails on the plans don't match the contours on my build either. I'm stumped and would very much appreciate any ideas/suggestions. I hope this is the right forum for this post.

Lay some masking tape along the top of gunwales and trace the edge with a pencil.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

You can turn your hull upside down and place it over a sheet of cardstock or thick paper. Trace the outside profile of the hull onto the paper with a pencil. Cut out the profile, place on the model to insure it matches then draw an offset line to the inside of the cap rail to the required thickness. Works well for me.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752