Source for Large Scale Blocks for Guns

Using the 3D models I've made for Victory's guns, in addition to making them in resin for my 1:98 scale Victory cross section, I intend to make larger desktop models of the 32- and 12-pounders. My original thought was to simply mount the two on a single cherry stand, facing each other at an angle. This would require no rigging blocks or breech line, as there's nothing to attach them to. But I'm also considering mounting each against a small wall section, in which case they would require blocks and such.

Does anyone know of a source for larger scale blocks? At this point, I'm doing them in 1:18 scale. I think I remember the 32-pounder's double blocks were 11" long, but can't remember the source, with the single and doubles on the 12-pounder being about 8". That would make the blocks about 11-15mm in size, quite a bit larger than the largest I've seen advertised (around 1/4" or 6.35 mm).

I could make them, but if I do, I'll probably make them using a 3D model and 3D printer, so I'd need drawings of them, if anyone has a source.

Anyhow, any ideas?

Rick,

In the 1780s British ships gun tackle went to 3 inch diameter for guns above 24 pounds and  2" for 9 pounders and below. (Lavery, Arming and Fitting, page 141)  NB -  3" diameter rope for running tackle seems awfully large.   I am pretty sure this could be a typo and was meant to be circumference.   He does not mention 12 pounders or 18 pounders but presumably they would be about 2.5".   Lees states that the  lengths for common blocks were about 4 times the size of the rope and his rope sizes are always given in circumference.   I don't know of any sources for high quality blocks over 1/4" as you asked so making them yourself may be your best option.  As you will only need a few, making them out of wood with brass or other material for the sheaves should not be too difficult.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

17 hours ago, rraisley said:

so I'd need drawings of them, if anyone has a source.

Here are some nice drawings.

image.png.d5b284d765de2d6546b5c8fca633657e.png

These instructions for Chuck's built up blocks might help with ideas..

More instructions..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon