HMS Beagle by OcCre as a first kit?

Dollburger

I know these types of questions probably get asked too often, but I'm wondering if anyone decided on this Beagle kit as a first model, or has insights on the difficulty level for a first timer? I'm still searching around for that first kit - I had originally decided on a MSW Baltimore Clipper (Dapper Tom) and have since been persuaded away. My career is in the natural resources field, so naturally the Beagle is an historic ship that I've always been interested in, but I'm wondering if it's too much? My current modeling experience is more on the painting side, building and painting Games Workshop models.

I've looked at OcCre's Polaris as well, but it just isn't as appealing to me, even though it's probably a wiser choice. Ideally I'd like to build a ship from the Napoleonic era, a couple of cannon (sloop, brig, clipper, etc.). The beagle is currently listed for $136 USD from Premier Ship Models which certainly seems reasonable as a first ship gamble. 

Any thoughts or advice? I've been looking at various kits over a year now, so I'm really not trying to just dive into the deep end on a whim. From what I've read, it seems like the OcCre kits provide a decent quality for the price.

Edit - I think I could also consider the Albatross, also by OcCre if that's maybe a good in-between starting point? That kit is only $89 at the moment from the same website.

Edited by Dollburger

I've never built this, but there are a number of logs for it on MSW (including several active ones I'm following right now), so you could read through those to get a sense of the kit's overall quality and ease of construction. You could also send their builders a private message to ask about their specific opinions of the kit. 

I definitely agree, as someone with professional and personal interests in geology and ecology, that this ship is high on my "want" list.

If this is your first wooden build, you might consider starting with a small, simple model that won't take you long and will help familiarize you with some of the basics of the craft. For example, Model Shipway's Bounty Launch was an early kit for me that taught me a lot while not being too challenging, and fits well in your era of interest.

Nope, only built the MS version. Looking briefly online, I think the MS kit is likely more beginner friendly, but you could certainly make an argument for the OcCre version to help you learn how their kits and instructions work.

Hi,

I choose the Beagle as my first wooden ship model. I am now nearly finished with the hull and will shortly begin with the rigging. With the help of the build logs and tipps in this forum and with the videos on youtube from Occre, I managed to bild so far without any bigger problems. Also I have a PDF version of the book 'Anatomy of the Ship HMS Beagle' which helps with detalis. I'm happy to answer any questions!

Also I'm very pleased with the outcome of my model so far. Maybe I will upload some Pictures sometime, if I find the time...

Current build: HMS Sphinx 1:64 (Vanguard Models)

Finished: HMS Beagle 1:60 (Occre)

Hi Dollburger,

I'm currently building Occre HMS Beagle this is my first ever ship model.

I picked it as I found the history of the ship fascinating, I think it is also quite a pretty looking thing!

One of the big plus points for me is the youtube step by step videos by Occre.

I previously built RC model aircraft from kits and from plans although completely different it does help with some basic hand skills.

In my day job I'm a Mechanical Maintenance Engineer so I think it has helped with my way of thinking during the build, but I can be a bit heavy handed sometimes! 

What I've learned from my mistakes is to look ahead and think before gluing or cutting bits!

I've not started the rigging yet so that could be my downfall, but I would say it is possible for a first ship if you are patient, have an interest in the ship, ypu have some hand skills and use the youtube videos.

Be prepared to make mistakes, rectify them and not beat yourself up when you do!

I'm loving my experience so far such that I have two more kits waiting to be built

Dollburger,

First, I expect that you have read the post: For Beginners -- A Cautionary Tale  in New Member Introductions.  A brig is definitely more approachable than the frigates or liners that are the usual advertising lures. But, HMS Beagle is still a complicated subject.  1:60 allows for a lot of detail.  The book by Marguardt supplies a lot of detail.  The OcCre kit as presented involves a lot of errors and poor practices that only experience and immersion in arcane details illuminates.  Your first couple of models are likely to include things that will make you cringe when you look back with some experience under your belt. 

Do you want HMS Beagle to be something that you will feel that way about?  If good enough is OK with you, then plunge ahead.  If HMS Beagle is important enough that you want it to shine, then perhaps you should start with something smaller and less sexy.  Among the companies that cater to the needs of a beginner,   Model Shipways is unlikely to lead you astray in their advice on the first two kits to cut your teeth on.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Dollburger,

I'm currently building HMS Beagle by Occre.  My first build was HMS Ballahoo by Caldercraft.  As I'm also new to this hobby my experience is very limited.  As you can imagine there is no right or wrong here and it depends on so many different variables.  My initial suggestion would be to cut your teeth on a smaller and simpler model just to hone your skills before you embark on what will be a major investment of your time and effort.  I dread to think how many people jump in at the deep end and not make it through to the end, which is a massive shame. 

I had many years experience making plastic construction kits to a reasonable standard, then took a few years break before wanting to try something different.  Before taking the plunge with my first ship I made a couple of simple laser cut plywood models which can be made in a couple of days/weeks just to think about the types of skills and tools required to progress.  I then started small with HMS Ballahoo.  After getting through the early stages fairly quickly, things slowed down and I feared that I had jumped in too deep and wouldn't see it through to completion.  The thing that kept me going was reading the excellent build logs on this forum and keeping steady but slow progress.  Eventually I realised I was about two thirds of the way through and it was then all downhill from there.  Once finished I had an enormous sense of achievement and was glad I stuck with it.

I can see your attraction with wanting to start with HMS Beagle and the fact that there are very comprehensive videos available to guide you through the build has got to be a major benefit.  To be honest, I find the videos of limited use and prefer to use them as a suggestion but then do my own thing.  With regard to price and quality of the kit I don't have much experience to call upon.  Everything in the kit looks to be of reasonable quality and 'fit for purpose'.  When you consider the time and effort you'll be putting into building the model, the cost of purchasing the kit becomes less significant.

As Jaager has previously stated, when delving deeper into researching the ship it's clear this model isn't an exact replica of the actual Beagle (if indeed that is truly known) and there are a few compromises which have been made, but then is any model ever a 100% representation of the real thing?  These could be improved by an experienced modeler but maybe not if it's your first build.  Would these compromises annoy you if you know the ship well?

I hope my limited ramblings have been of some use to you.  Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take :) 

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

Thanks all! I did end up staring with the Bounty Launch by OcCre. I went that route with the thought process that my 2nd ship would also be OcCre, so maybe staying within one model line might help me learn at the beginning. I won't get it for a few weeks, but I'm excited to give it a try!

Sounds good. When you start a build log for the launch, let us know here so we can be sure to follow you over.