Okay, I'm off to the races. I'm going to try to sculp Continental Captain Benjamin Rue, 1776 in 1:24 scale. He will be posed with his arms behind his back in the 'Parade Rest' position. I don't know how tall he was in real life, so I'm taking artistic license and making him 6' tall. 

This is my wire armature. I used 1mm diameter aluminum wire. No glue, no soldering, no twisted joints... this entire armature was made from 1 single length of uninterrupted wire! 

CaptRue1.thumb.jpg.5af963f17aaff3c3b116b8daa64a0b87.jpg  

The base layer of material added to the wire armature is a 50/50 combination of 'Green-Stuff' and Milliput putties. I mixed the different putties as directed, then mixed them together. I roughed up the wire armature for better adhesion, but that didn't work too well. It was still a bit of a hassle to get that first layer of putty to stick, but patience prevailed.

GreenStuffandMilliput.thumb.jpg.cb9ed05246dde21556bb53f3c8a43c4c.jpg

CaptRue2.thumb.jpg.e64dd3309ed5f7d66613cd8b62fbc43e.jpg 

After letting the putty cure over night, I started to bulk things up just a bit, still using the 50/50 Green-Stuff and Milliput. It's now curing again.

CaptRue3.thumb.jpg.f00f42105a0600e31dde78bb49d17642.jpg 

To be continued...

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Congratulations for a good start. Interesting that you could make the armature from a single piece of wire. I'm still trying to decide between different materials.As I mentioned before, the one I didn't like as the main sculpting material is Greenstuff although it is the most sticky and easiest to attach to the wire (for me as a base coat) followed by Fimo. My first figures were just attaching Milliput to the armature, but maybe easier on a small scale. If you are not satisfied with your first figure, do persevere. It took me a couple of goes before I was half satisfied. I look forward tohearing your impression of working on the mixture of Greenstuff and Milliput as I want to make several more figures.

I would like to have Darwin, Captain Fitzroy, Lt Wickham, Lt Sullivan, 2 marines and 5 or 6 sailors. Here's my current crew...

Crew.jpg

4 hours ago, embojo said:

Congratulations for a good start. Interesting that you could make the armature from a single piece of wire

Thanks. I've actually impressed myself, however. It's only going to become more challenging from this point forward. My fingers are crossed! If you are interested in how I made the armature out of one piece of wire, hop over to my Gunboat Philadelphia build log. I linked a YouTube video of how this is done. 

Your figures are quite small compared to mine (3" tall). "That is extremely impressive!" How tall are they? It might be difficult for you to construct one-wire armatures that small, but maybe not if you use wire 1/2 the diameter that you used on the figures in the photo. Have a look at the video link in my build log (last page of the log). That one-wire method will either work for you, or it won't. You'll have to be the judge of 'that'.    

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Captain Rue finally has a pair of britches. He can now safely go out in public! I'll be adding more tiny wrinkles and realistic details to his pants after I finish sculpting his lower legs/stockings and baking the lower leg's clay. 

CaptRue7.thumb.jpg.c3684396fa9054cc40c1f62ffd404ab9.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

I have been modeling for three years now,  and just lately have started getting into figures. I still have not learn to plank yet but getting close lol. There is no way I could ever carve, like @Louie da fly ,or sculpt clay figures. Like the above.

Vanguard Models have figures that are 1:64 scale, when painted look very realistic  to me.  They are 28 to 30 mm height. 

20240912_133355.thumb.jpg.ccbc8a1629ae856673c17bc23d163e9d.jpg

20240912_164036.jpg.1a7a9a6ebbe1aaca5c56430ec6130e24.jpg

The picture is a little fuzzy, sorry but I think my Admiral looks like Burt Rennals lol.

I have others at 1:80 scale, but up close they are faceless. 

20240906_204501.thumb.jpg.fa40a9a1cf3197d57094ac8f5d0b8bb7.jpg

I have a wonderful friend  that loves to print figures,  and he is very good at it. Here are some of his at 1:80 scale,  workers for a Mississippi River Boat.  

20240906_210330.thumb.jpg.333048adff0f8222e8a7840a1bb83bf4.jpg

20240908_184239.thumb.jpg.94d8c14fa5771d4e0e2e29e5783b917b.jpg

They do have some good details around the face, this worker looks like Vin Diesel20240908_184826.thumb.jpg.0952ae4749312b8094c1612b0fad30c3.jpg

The ones on the bottom row are his, the faceless ones come from Spain I think.

well that my 1.5 cents worth(Canadia Currentcy) lol   😆     :cheers:

Bob  M.

Edited by Knocklouder
Guessing typos lol

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Captain Rue now has one leg to stand on, but that leg is still missing a foot. Just like Johnny Cash... I'm building him 'one piece at a time'! 😏

CaptRue8.thumb.jpg.2ba8108c6ba69409aa1fdf72bfefe395.jpg

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

The Canadian government seems to have more sense on the 'penny issue' than the Yanks ... and I think some factions will oppose it based on either "tradition", or the inability to grasp a 'rounding' scheme.  So my suggestion to Uncle Sam is this:  Since it costs 3 cents to make a penny in the U.S., why not offer a 'bounty' of 50% for pennies turned in (with monthly limits).  For every dollar of pennies surrendered, the person would receive $1.50 !  So that would REDUCE the cost of 'minting' pennies by 50%, and the monthly limit would be needed because all sorts of folks would be emptying out penny jars, shelves and drawers, looking under car seats, etc. to 'cash in' on the bonanza.  Noting motivates most Americans as much as money or a bargain.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I personally think that Uncle Sam could currently use A LOT of good suggestions regarding the current state/value of our money, 'PERIOD'! :omg:

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

I've been playing around on Heroforge, a website used by gamers to create miniatures for their games. The site lets you pick how the character will look and you are able to pose them. I tried to make them look more human and less toy like and here's what I have come up with. I don't have a resin 3D printer yet but have downloaded the STLs and will get them printed and see how they look. Here's what I've come up with. Not perfect but interesting nonetheless.

Standingbald.png.42779b323300bbca465f03854607c5b1.pngCaptain.png.f29762dd2d76205d6e955f65e60bf748.pngKneelingbearded.png.4b486820f08a8812666abc88abf8ad46.pngStadingwithbarrel.png.a0c95f6cc92ee48dd3325d3f9312ad5c.pngSittingbald.png.52239527ffac70d7af7444f6640a9c4d.png

Cheers,

Todd

Edited by Tossedman

"I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it."

Vincent Van Gogh 

5 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

There is no way I could ever carve, like @Louie da fly ,or sculpt clay figures. Like the above.

Horses for courses, mate. Do what works for you. I've been woodcarving since I was a kid, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Doesn't mean everyone else has to be the same or do what I do. Those figures of yours look really good.

3 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

The Canadian government seems to have more sense on the 'penny issue' than the Yanks

Australia got rid of its one and two-cent coins in 1992. We don't miss them. 

2 hours ago, Tossedman said:

I tried to make the look more human and less toy like and here's what I have come up with.

Those are brilliant, mate! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out in the real world!

Steven