Norwegian Sailing Pram by lraymo - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:12

Steve, I agree that Lynn will likely not need it for her next project but as I said, she needs to start thinking about the purchase of a variable speed cordless drill and having it sooner than later would give her time to practice where she would feel comfortable with the drill when she does need it.

I confess, I'm not quite sure how to use a drill to shape masts and spars.  How is it used?  (Clearly, I will need lots of practice, since I can't even visualize how to use one yet!).  

Lynn, see the below links. 

This is the basics of using a cordless drill for normal uses. 

I don't own a lathe so I use my cordless drill as a lathe. In the below photo I used my drill to make one of the guns for the Tennessee. You chuck a piece of round dowel into the drill and with sandpaper and or jewelers file you can make complex shapes for guns, lanterns, stanchions, or taper masts and spars. It's actually a lot of fun but there is a learning curve. Using a drill makes the work so much easier. 

795F5F80-BA9D-4517-A816-813B7EFFA35D.thumb.jpeg.42fe25b0924988be535bfa3d9a4a656a.jpeg

Ok, NOW I get it!  So in your photo above, you held a jewelers file against the round dowel to shape it.  That seems hard to do, freehand.  I'm assuming you held the file in your hand, maybe supporting it somehow.  OR did you hold the ndrill in your hand, and move it against some sandpaper or a file?  Or was it a two-handed operation - where you had the drill in one hand, and used the file in the other hand? 

I thought I had it, but now I'm confused again!   (By the way, the gun looks great!)

Lynn, I'm right handed so I hold the drill in my left hand working the drill speed trigger and hold the jewelers file or sandpaper in my right hand. It's a bit awkward at first till one gets the hang of it, then it's piece of cake. And as I said, it's fun stuff. Thank you for the compliment regarding the gun. 

Keith, thanks for explaining the procedure!   I understand what you're saying now.  And, as part of my household tools, I actually do have a drill.  It goes forward and backward, and the speed is regulated by the pressure I put on the trigger, so I'm assuming it can be called a variable speed drill.  I will begin practicing with it!  (Mostly, I use it to drill holes for picture hanging, or other little home repair jobs around the house, although I'm not very "handy" when it comes to house maintenance!)

Thanks again for all the encouragement.  My new Phantom model kit arrived today.  I'll probably take some time off before starting it, as the Kansas heat & humidity has finally abated somewhat, and the plan is to play a lot of golf in the nice weather!

I, too, use the poor man's lathe as Keith describes and it's great. One additional note, the drill's chuck can easily leave marks or other damage to the dowel, so it's important to leave extra length on whatever you're doing. So if you need a rounded mast 8" long, make sure you cut the piece, say, 8.5" long so that extra half goes in the drill and you can cut it off when you're done. Otherwise one end will be damaged and you'll be upset! (trust me)

7 hours ago, Cathead said:

So if you need a rounded mast 8" long, make sure you cut the piece, say, 8.5" long

I have to add 1.25 inches to allow for the chuck. If I have to chuck both ends I need to add 2.5 inches to my finished length. 

Lynn, since you have a drill you're in good shape. If it has a cord it can be a bit cumbersome but with practice you'll get there.

How was golf? 

Edited by Keith Black

I started reading the instructions for the Phantom.  Looks like I'll be doing a lot of rounding, shaping, etc, so the drill will come in handy (I need to start practicing!)

Speaking of practice, my golf game needs a lot of it!  But I enjoy it, and every game there's that "one amazing shot" that keeps me coming back to it!

• 3 weeks later...