Harriet Lane by Organ tech - Model Shipways

I bought some wood dough to help smooth the inside of the bulwarks before I paint the inside of them, then add the prepared decking, suppled with the kit. Meanwhile, I made an fitted the jaws for the mainmast boom and jib. They fit the mast snugly. I worked more on the forward companionway and one of the deck skylights. These look OK, viewed with the naked eye, fuzzy and rough in the picture.

jaw making.jpeg

mainmast with spars.jpeg

skylight and foreward companionway.jpeg

spars with jaws.jpeg

Edited by Organ tech
addition

Next, I traced the paper patterns for the deck, a thin basswood piece, suppled with the kit, scored with lines to be the planking. For logical reasons, this pattern will only be approximate, and need to be corrected, with paper "shims" to accurately conform to my actual bulwark outlines.  Reasons for correction---paper and wood both change size slightly with humidity, micro-deviation of my my bulwark carving from the paper pattern, to name a couple. Pics show the tracing,  paper inserted in the hull with a "shim" at the stern. My pattern was pretty close.

deck paper patern shim.jpeg

deck tracing paper pattern 1.jpeg

paper pattern at bow.jpeg

stern deck paper pattern tracing.jpeg

When satisfied with the pattern, I anchored it to the basswood deck sheet with a couple dabs of rubber cement, and cut it out with a razor knife. The deck sheet was barley large enough, but adequate. I used contact cement to glue it into the hull. My fit is good enough where the waterline "moldings" shown in the instructions, will cover any gaps between the bulwarks and deck. small pieces will need to be glued between the sponsions and deck. Coming up---gun cutouts, outside hull painting, and copper sheeting, as well as keel and rudder.

hull with deck.jpeg

waterline plan.jpeg

Ship posing with its main mast and both paddle wheel assemblies in place.   Before I glue in the masts, I will add the fife rails, debating whether to use the Britannia metal parts supplied, or to fabricate from wood. I am not sure why the aft rigged main mast has one. Maybe included in the original builders plans in case an owner wanted to square rig this mast(?).

13536A60-4F5A-427E-BBC0-CA7FB68C3D5A.jpeg

6109BBE0-327A-4D04-8F7F-8B126B781240.jpeg

Edited by Organ tech

I am redoing my forward companionway and a couple of other deck structures. I can do better. My ship with the deck house in place, not affixed yet, just a photo op.the windows on the pilot house don’t cut it either. I will re-do them.

D52FB4E6-BEBF-4E19-B3C7-67D2C1298E02.jpeg

DAACF6E9-8D59-4ED9-BE43-E5B8E679D9CA.jpeg

Edited by Organ tech