Lowell Grand Banks Dory by Retiredpm - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Through the advice of many on this forum, I chose the Dory to begin my endeavor into this new hobby. The instructions say to take my time. Not a problem since I am a beginner. I am finding the terminology to be a different language to learn. I tried using an old cutting board, but it is so wavy, I will break down and get a proper board. The adventure begins.

9C2A76F9-5FC3-40A1-9434-95C205292FE6.jpeg

Current Build: Armed Longboat 
Current Build: Continental Navy Frigate Alfred - On Hold until a improve my skills
Completed Build: Norwegian Sailing Pram
Completed Build: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Here is my progress report. I think I need more time spent on the oars. Any tricks out there to make them round? I am spinning them between my fingers with sandpaper. I’m finding the clamps to be too tight. Thick paper between the clamps seems to soften their effect on the wood.

058F2AC2-FC0C-4D09-9951-A61DED06917D.jpeg

773DC828-8ED3-4398-BDE5-A5C26C9F642E.jpeg

Current Build: Continental Navy Frigate Alfred - On Hold until a improve my skills

One way to round a square section stick is to gently whittle off the corners at 45 degrees with a sharp blade first. Then take a small strip of sandpaper (150 grit will do), loop it with the grit inside and hold both ends between your left finger and thumb (if you are right handed. The stick is inserted in the loop  and moved up and down, revolving it a little every few strokes. Keep the sandpaper loop fairly tight around the stick while you do this.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I need to do some light sanding and then apply a primer coat. I’m finding this project to be enjoyable as well as mildly challenging. It is not perfect, but I am happy with my results.

1A4E2E44-DEFF-4347-A660-DBF20E90074B.jpeg

@Retiredpm Great job. I regard to the oars, they look good and the only way to get them round a this point is sanding.  Just be careful not to put to much pressure while sanding, they break very easily.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Just found your log. Looks good! I found that a small vise is very useful in rounding the oars. Clamp the piece in the vise, extending the end an inch or so at a time, working your way down towards the blade. Hold a small, thin strip of the sandpaper by the ends and loop it around the oar shaft in a "C" shape to that it is in contact with the wood on the top and sides. Move your hands in opposition to one another to sand. Do this with the loop at the top, bottom, sides. Don't try to reach the final shape in one pass. . .

Bob

Boat is painted. Next part is to paint, then install the cap rails. Not sure if I want to stain the presentation board or leave it natural.

CC0DAC41-0D8F-4F49-ADE9-744FC5B00648.jpeg

E815A89A-C9D1-43F4-BFF5-8D8EFBB5ECAE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My completed dory! I think I may still stain the base but otherwise I’m done with this one. Next up will be the sailing  Norwegian pram. I am getting hooked into this hobby.

4ACA6AB0-02AD-4ED5-8929-1E42D931C1FC.jpeg

image.jpg

Congratulations on completing this model.  It is very well done and you should have no problems building the pram.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

The complements are encouraging. My next model has been ordered. Going to check out more building logs. They are very helpful in learning this hobby.

• 2 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me